Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sub for mayo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    I used to love Spectrum Vegan Mayo. 35 calories per tablespoon and it tasted like that old fashioned Hellmann's of my youth. But it had a lot of crap in it. Buh bye Vegan Mayo.

    Living single, making mayo can be a pain and often it goes bad before I finish it, so I mostly live without mayo. A little avocado or olive oil goes a long way as a sub for mayo. Both of those make the dish rich and smooth. I think if I tasted store bought mayo now, I'd pretty much be shocked at how nasty it is.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

    B*tch-lite

    Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
      I think if I tasted store bought mayo now, I'd pretty much be shocked at how nasty it is.
      Ditto. I'm often puzzled by those non-perishable packets next to the gas station sandwiches.
      37//6'3"/185

      My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
        I used to love Spectrum Vegan Mayo. 35 calories per tablespoon and it tasted like that old fashioned Hellmann's of my youth. But it had a lot of crap in it. Buh bye Vegan Mayo.

        Living single, making mayo can be a pain and often it goes bad before I finish it, so I mostly live without mayo. A little avocado or olive oil goes a long way as a sub for mayo. Both of those make the dish rich and smooth. I think if I tasted store bought mayo now, I'd pretty much be shocked at how nasty it is.
        Joanie... check out my Lacto-Fermented recipe.
        It really does last a very long time.
        3 months is perfectly safe.
        And you can reduce the recipe to a single yolk and just make a small amount.
        I am going to make some Bacon-mayo that way tomorrow.
        “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
        ~Friedrich Nietzsche
        And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by kathleen View Post
          I buy the mayonnaise with canola oil in it (regular mayo found at the grocery store uses soybean oil). I find canola oil less offensive because it's made of rapeseed and/or mustard seeds.

          Just eggs and oil, no need to substitute on Paleo me thinks.
          Canola oil is not doing you any favors if you are trying to have a good omega 3/6 ratio.
          My journal

          Comment


          • #35
            After watching this video, I decided to throw out my last bottle of canola oil. Solvents. Yum.

            How It's Made - Canola Oil - YouTube

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
              Joanie... check out my Lacto-Fermented recipe.
              It really does last a very long time.
              3 months is perfectly safe.
              And you can reduce the recipe to a single yolk and just make a small amount.
              I am going to make some Bacon-mayo that way tomorrow.
              Thanks, Cori. I've bookmarked it. Bacon, duck fat - once one starts having interesting fats in the house, it becomes easier to live without some of the store bought condiments.
              "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

              B*tch-lite

              Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

              Comment


              • #37
                I have used the soy free, gluten free Vegenaise from time to time. It tastes very good. It does not have Canola Oil in it but it does have
                Expeller-Pressed Hi-Oleic Safflower Oil - which is supposed to more Paleo friendly.

                Vegan Cheese and Dairy Alternatives - SOY-FREE Vegenaise Dairy-Free Mayo
                Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

                https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

                Comment

                Working...
                X