Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this deli counter turkey ok or should i stay away?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this deli counter turkey ok or should i stay away?

this is the label. nothing to offensive i don't think but im still unsure if its something i should be eating on a semi-regular basis.

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/3...0506130647.jpg

http://www.epa.gov/oppsrrd1/REDs/fac...s/4001fact.pdf

I try to eat fresh no injected preservatives, yet almost impossible to avoid sodium nitrite if you like bacon...unless you want pancetta or salt cured bacon and ham

Comment

http://www.epa.gov/oppsrrd1/REDs/fac...s/4001fact.pdf

I try to eat fresh no injected preservatives, yet almost impossible to avoid sodium nitrite if you like bacon...unless you want pancetta or salt cured bacon and ham

Comment

If you're fine with eating bacon, like most people here, that turkey doesn't look all that bad.

If could be worse and have maltodextrin and or something wheat derived in there.

Comment

There is the fact that poultry in general has a very bad o6-o3 ratio and the fact that it probably being from an entirely grain-fed and CAFO animal wouldn't help things.

But... It's still a way better option than eating, say, some packaged noodle dinner crap or the like.

As I always say, eat the best you can afford to and the rest will come in time.
          "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

WHY is there honey and sugar on meat? I don't get it!

PS: Sodium Nitrate is also a RED FLAG.

Comment

Originally posted by GiGiEats View Post
              WHY is there honey and sugar on meat? I don't get it! [/B].
              Exactly.

It violates my first law -- only eat foods with one ingredient.

Comment

Originally posted by GiGiEats View Post
                WHY is there honey and sugar on meat? I don't get it!

PS: Sodium Nitrate is also a RED FLAG.
                One would assume it is honey turkey.

Also sodium nitrate isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Comment

Personally I think stuff like that tastes like saline solution, not meat. All deli meats taste about the same to me.

If you buy a boneless turkey breast, cover it with water, and bring it to a simmer, then cook very slowly until the internal temperature reaches 160F (use a remote-reading thermometer), you will have the most wonderfully moist slicing turkey breast you could ever imagine.
                  Last edited by eKatherine; 05-07-2013, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                    If you buy a boneless turkey breast, cover it with water, and bring it to a simmer, then cook very slowly until the internal temperature reaches 160F (use a remote-reading thermometer), you will have the most wonderfully moist slicing turkey breast you could ever imagine.
                    +1
                    There's a world of difference between turkey breast and "turkey breast". Deli option is okay in a pinch but if you're designing a weekly routine, the cleaner/fresher option is effort well spent.
                    37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

Originally posted by picklepete View Post
                      +1
                      There's a world of difference between turkey breast and "turkey breast". Deli option is okay in a pinch but if you're designing a weekly routine, the cleaner/fresher option is effort well spent.
                      And save the broth for next week's batch. It just keeps getting more flavorful.

Comment

Working...
                      X