Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Even More Steak and Eggs: Plus Plants vs. Animals!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to work with a guy who imagined himself a serious cyclist. No equipment or accessory was too expensive. I think he had a 50" waistline.

Comment

Originally posted by ajm422 View Post
      While it was great to see so many cyclists on the roads, I was sad to see so many of my plump, soft coworkers mowing down Au Bon Pain bagels and bread loaves smothered in Nutella and Jif. Time to carb up! I live right near a popular road for weekend warrior cyclists and it's really quite amazing how fat they all are. Watching a herd of jerseys fly by on a Sunday morning is really a sight. For every lithe, trim man or woman there are eight sagging mustachioed middle managers slurping down energy gel. Cycling a few miles a week really entitles these people to hork down all this food when they quite plainly have loads of energy filling out their skintight club jerseys. And I'm sure they wonder why they don't lose weight.
      My gym has a pizza night. And a bagel morning. It's a real assault on the nostrils and eyeballs to be working out near the feeding frenzy. And who wants to smell food while they work out?? Not me. I've never been there for the pizza night but I can just imagine what that's like. The bagel morning is a horror show. And every bagel morning, there's one boy in his late teens who is at least 100 lbs overweight, who eats his bagel laden with cream cheese as he pedals on the exercise bike. And then when he's done he goes back and gets another, and comes back to the bike, hops on, and eats that one. I'm sure he thinks he's "carbing up" and that somehow it's good for him.
      be the hair that knots with my hair
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      primal since oct. 1, 2012

Comment

Originally posted by little vase View Post
        My gym has a pizza night. And a bagel morning. It's a real assault on the nostrils and eyeballs to be working out near the feeding frenzy. And who wants to smell food while they work out?? Not me. I've never been there for the pizza night but I can just imagine what that's like. The bagel morning is a horror show. And every bagel morning, there's one boy in his late teens who is at least 100 lbs overweight, who eats his bagel laden with cream cheese as he pedals on the exercise bike. And then when he's done he goes back and gets another, and comes back to the bike, hops on, and eats that one. I'm sure he thinks he's "carbing up" and that somehow it's good for him.
        This saddens me. Only a few months ago I held a particularly contemptuous view of fat people. Apathetic and shameless. After all, I'd lost 40 pounds since graduating college and I did that without a gym membership, a personal trainer, fad diets, or self-help books. Discipline, common sense, and moderation. Why, I thought, can't all these fat people just put down the fork?

These days I don't wholly blame overweight people for being overweight. Sure, most Americans are lazy and close-minded and at least partially accountable for their own unwell being. But it's really an uphill battle against Big Agro, Big Fitness, and even Big Pharma. Three massively powerful industry groups who live on fat Americans who stay fat. I'm sure your friend BagleBike thinks he's doing the right thing. I used to. I was once a very bright, independently minded and motivated fat guy with bad information. Six tupperware meals a day, 8-11 servings of whole grains, 4 pieces of fruit and 60 minutes of elliptical machine. I wasn't being lazy - I was actively trying to transform myself according to the available advice. It was only through some chance encounter with leangains.com that set me on the right path.

And I must say the idea of working out in the presence of food I find particularly insulting. I find I cannot eat anything within 3 hours of lifting weights. Otherwise I get nauseous. I would be an unhappy man in your gym.
        Last edited by ajm422; 05-17-2013, 08:30 AM.
        I'm a weak man...If I give myself a few feet of leeway, I burst through all of my prohibitions.

Comment

Originally posted by canuck416 View Post
          Another great well written log. You really should give consideration to writing a book someday. Congrats on the weight loss (fat loss) and body change!
          Originally posted by little vase View Post
          This. I really look forward to your updates, ajm. You definitely have a way with words.
          You're too kind. I'm having so much fun chronicling my experience and interacting with intelligent primal people that I'm considering starting a blog. After steak and eggs I intend on starting a long-term fitness experiment. If I did begin a blog, it would be a weekly-or-so journal of intermittent fasting, 90% primal diet, 5/3/1 training, and various hormesis experiments. Even if nobody reads, it'll be a good place to practice my writing and track my progress.

Pklopp of MDA Intermittent Fasting fame keeps a blog here, which I thoroughly enjoy reading. If I decide to give it a go I'll post a link here.
          Until then, STEAK AND EGGS.
          I'm a weak man...If I give myself a few feet of leeway, I burst through all of my prohibitions.

Comment

Our gym has an association with a Greek take away joint. 10% off your orders.

Comment

Originally posted by ajm422 View Post
              You're too kind. I'm having so much fun chronicling my experience and interacting with intelligent primal people that I'm considering starting a blog. After steak and eggs I intend on starting a long-term fitness experiment. If I did begin a blog, it would be a weekly-or-so journal of intermittent fasting, 90% primal diet, 5/3/1 training, and various hormesis experiments. Even if nobody reads, it'll be a good place to practice my writing and track my progress.

Pklopp of MDA Intermittent Fasting fame keeps a blog here, which I thoroughly enjoy reading. If I decide to give it a go I'll post a link here.
              Until then, STEAK AND EGGS.
              I'd read it.

Comment

Originally posted by CavemanJoe View Post
                Our gym has an association with a Greek take away joint. 10% off your orders.
                Gym here in Arlington just installed...a soda machine

Comment

[QUOTE=little vase;1193852]My gym has a pizza night. And a bagel morning. It's a real assault on the nostrils and eyeballs to be working out near the feeding frenzy. And who wants to smell food while they work out?? Not me. I've never been there for the pizza night but I can just imagine what that's like. The bagel morning is a horror show. And every bagel morning, there's one boy in his late teens who is at least 100 lbs overweight, who eats his bagel laden with cream cheese as he pedals on the exercise bike. And then when he's done he goes back and gets another, and comes back to the bike, hops on, and eats that one. I'm sure he thinks he's "carbing up" and that somehow it's good for him.[/QUOTE

I would give the Gym owner a copy of 'Wheat Belly' and ask whether its a good idea to be promoting a heavy carb diet.
                  Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                    I used to work with a guy who imagined himself a serious cyclist. No equipment or accessory was too expensive. I think he had a 50" waistline.
                    Was it this guy I saw while out hiking a couple of months ago? He poked at his phone for like 30 minutes straight...

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Back to steak and eggs talk.

Comment

• Preparation for carb day: homemade blueberry frozen yogurt!

1. Combine blueberries, lemon juice, sugar, salt, and cinnamon. Heat for a bit, and mash it all together.

ImageUploadedByMarks Daily Apple Forum1368899400.863265.jpg

2. Mix in homemade yogurt (full fat, of course).

ImageUploadedByMarks Daily Apple Forum1368899416.817581.jpg

3. OK, you caught me. I added heavy cream. Deal with it.

ImageUploadedByMarks Daily Apple Forum1368899432.010054.jpg

4. After chilling overnight, prepare ice cream maker, and churn!

ImageUploadedByMarks Daily Apple Forum1368899448.028292.jpg

5. Bliss.

ImageUploadedByMarks Daily Apple Forum1368899458.318494.jpg

Comment

• I have big plans, too.

Comment

• Hello everyone, I don't post alot (obviously) but I do read alot and have been following the Lets get serious about body fat - 4 weeks Steak and eggs page 11 and I've just read your thread ajm422, some good stuff all round. I'm giving the steak and eggs a go aswell, it's not easy to stay strict but I keep trying. I just wanted to say that ground beef with taco seasoning and some salsa is great.I make about 5lbs at a time and freeze part of it for use later. Thanks eveyone for some good civilized reading.
                          Dan

Comment

• Hi DBM, welcome. What day are you on? I'm definitely at the seasoning the beef stage over here. I'm in my third week and checking out the spice drawer.

Comment

• Now that was a carbohydrate refeed done properly. It was not primal, it was not restrained, but it was sustaining. The sort of cheat day that actually does make the other six days of the diet week bearable. The sort of cheat day that fulfills all the nagging urges collecting at the back of your head all week. If willpower is indeed a muscle, then six days of Steak and Eggs is six days of hill sprints - taxing but rewarding. Saturday is one long nap. Relax, recover, and replenish that willpower.

On leangains.com, Martin Berkhan gives advice for controlling oneself on days like Thanksgiving: limit choices, not amounts. This precept is finely illustrated by the stark contrast between Steak and Eggs and the relative free-for-all of carbohydrate days. Restricting calories could not be simpler on steak and eggs. After I finish my 24 oz. steak and my six fried eggs, eating more food would mean cooking more steak and cooking more eggs. I'd rather just do something else. Sunday through Friday the refrigerator might as well be the size of a shoebox - just large enough to hold my steak, my eggs, and my butter. All the other contents are blurry, barely there. On Saturday, the refrigerator is lifesize again. All the beer, fruit, vegetables, and yogurt come back into focus. On Saturdays, all the dried fruits, potatoes, and chips start calling from the pantry. The possibilities are as enticing as the flavors. The idea of eating six handfuls of blueberries is more appealing than the blueberries themselves. Well, almost more appealing. There is so much pressure on Saturday. So much pressure to moderate, to choose, and to do it right. After all, it's the last chance I'll have until next Saturday.

But enough pontification. Let's talk carbs. The three foods I miss most on Steak and Eggs are popcorn, oatmeal, and dairy. I knew I would have to hit those three hard on carb day. I lifted weights in the morning and had a big bowl of oatmeal with kefir, whey protein powder, maple syrup, and butter. It soothed from the inside out. After that my lady and I went and saw the new Star Trek (it impressed) along with fistfulls of lovely lovely popcorn. We had our supper planned days out: burrito night. I had marinated overnight four chicken breasts in olive oil, onions, garlic, adobo sauce, guajillo chiles, cilantro, and enough Kosher salt to make the marinade a brine. The chicken was grilled, chopped, and wrapped in warm tortillas with lettuce, jalapeños, roasted salsa, monterey cheese, kefir, refried beans, and sautéed bell pepper and red onions. On the side were blue tortilla chips and fresh guacamole and my favorite Flying Dog pale ale to wash it all down. It was piquant, tangy, crunchy and juicy. The perfect burrito. Dessert was our homemade blueberry frozen yogurt, which struck the perfect balance between tart and sweet.

I ended up going back for a second burrito, which turned out to be a grievous indiscretion. I would spend the rest of the evening catatonic on the couch, moaning like a pregnant bear. But it was all worth it. Today I'm content. Ready for more steak and more eggs. I had meant to take pictures but the food was scarcely on the plate long enough to be shot. What can I say? I was hungry.
                              Last edited by ajm422; 05-19-2013, 07:50 AM.

Comment

• Wow. Those burritos sounds ridiculously delicious. I too try to make my food model for me but it almost always seems to want to get in my belly faster than I can whip out my camera.

I'm making puttanesca sauce on my refeed on Friday - tomatoes, capers, olives, garlic, etc. Over spaghetti squash. With freshly grated romano cheese on top. With a glass of wine. And also making fish chowder with the fish my husband caught - bluefish and striped bass, direct from the beach on Long Beach Island in NJ, with potatoes, clams, fresh cream, butter and bacon. Mmmm.

No, I'm not planning it ahead or anything, why do you think that?

Comment

Working...
                                X