"The body can't differentiate between calorie types"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The body can't differentiate between calorie types"

Why do people keep saying "the body can't differentiate between calories" and "a calorie is a calories, how can the body know?" and other such nonsense?

As if the body were some barely evolved dumb machine and must conform to rigid human logic.

Without exercising more than a few brain cells we know it is senseless; when you eat a calorie of carbohydrate the body knows the difference and processes it differently than a calorie of fat or a calorie of protein. Ever heard of insulin? Obviously the body does know the difference.

Please stop the madness. Thank you.

It's like a calorie is some standardized particle.

It's not a particle...it's a measurement more than anything.

Comment

Good lord, man. A calorie is a measure of energy. Insulin is an anabolic hormone without which glucose would not be able to enter cells to be metabolized, into energy. I know you're intimating insulin only puts energy into fat cells, but that's not true at all. It's a completely uncontroversial scientific fact, actually. But I know you don't care. I remember your "science is dumb nothing's true" thread pretty vividly.

Comment

Calorie Rants and Ketosis (part 1). | THAT PALEO GUY
        Calorie Rants and Ketosis (part 2). | THAT PALEO GUY
        Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

It's completely uncontroversial. Your body will take any calorie and turn it into what you need. No protein intake? No problem. Your body will create protein from the carbs and fat you consumed. It works exactly like vitamins, and everyone knows that vitamins are universally interchangeable. A vitamin is a vitamin is a vitamin.

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
            It's completely uncontroversial. Your body will take any calorie and turn it into what you need. No protein intake? No problem. Your body will create protein from the carbs and fat you consumed. It works exactly like vitamins, and everyone knows that vitamins are universally interchangeable. A vitamin is a vitamin is a vitamin.
            bwahaha. I see what you did there!
            The Champagne of Beards

Comment

what I don't get is why your time stamp says 8:12 pm, but it's only 8:08 now,

Comment

Originally posted by neilc11 View Post
                but then mine says 14,,,,

Comment

mark's server must be speeding

Comment

Didn't you start this thread before Kimchee?

It's undeniable that ATP comes from both carbs and fats.

And that fats and proteins have satiety factors that carbs do not.

EXACTLY. Except for multi-vitamins which are like 'super foods' but in vitamin form. You don't even need to eat if you're taking a multi-vitamin.
                    Last edited by magicmerl; 05-02-2013, 05:21 PM.
                    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
                    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                    bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Originally posted by neilc11 View Post
                      Sometimes I send a co-worker something in e-mail and get to their office before the message does. I'm actually faster than the speed of light. Even on VLC.
                      The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Teach me physiology. I need to know how metabolism really works.

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                          Sometimes I send a co-worker something in e-mail and get to their office before the message does. I'm actually faster than the speed of light. Even on VLC.
                          Liar, your not VLC.

Comment

All those calories lurking around and attack us when least expected! You can't be safe from them any place and I have heard that they also enters you through the sunlight, so be aware and protect yourself and always use shades, even indoors...
                            "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

SUCH HOKEY BAOGNA!!!! GAHHH! I hate this!

Comment

Working...
                              X