Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Depression Survey

Aloha,

This is my first post and I am interested to hear from anyone with any level depression and/or anxiety. Did switching to primal make you feel better or worse?

Thanks!
    Last edited by CreightonU; 05-02-2013, 03:47 PM.

Worse, for several reasons, not the least of which was because I stopped taking Effexor cold turkey when I adopted a low carb diet. I had suddenly exchanged easily digestible and non-fibrous things like soda and refined flour for a significantly greater amount of fibrous foods, which led to extremely poor digestion and mood. There's a fair amount of research linking gut dysbiosis and inflammation to depression and anxiety. That's probably the only reason anti-depressants actually work; they seem to improve digestion (mine, at least).

So what's your theory?
    Last edited by Timthetaco; 05-02-2013, 03:47 PM. Reason: digestible, not metabolized

Comment

That's a tough question for me to answer. I've been under a psychiatrist's care for a number of years, taking a cocktail of medications for recurrent depression and anxiety. It took my DR 2 years to get my meds into balance (so that I didn't have anymore episodes of depression). I now see my DR quarterly and she hasn't changed by meds in quite awhile. My mood has been stable.

I will say that I FEEL better being primal; my body image is better (because of weight loss). I really like that I'm not eating crap foods (and not binging on junk-food-laden-with-sugar in the evenings).

I haven't asked her yet about reducing my meds, will see her in mid-June.
      I practice yoga (am a yogini) and am also a follower of Grok ... so my journal is Grokini Mary

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66249.html

Comment

My anxiety and depression has improved significantly. I no longer take SSRI's, but I do take amino acids (basic protocol outlined in the book "The Mood Cure", but I just take 5-HTP).

Gut health and depression are intricately linked, so I'm not surprised people have improved digestion with SSRI's. There are other ways to accomplish this, however. I feel that it's important to get what I'm missing from food as much as possible, and supplements when that's not enough, rather than messing with the function of my body chemistry with prescriptions.
        Depression Lies

Comment

I never had a clinical diagnosis, gut was prone to jumping into a black hole on a regular basis, think gluten was the big one for me, once I went Paleo had far less anxiety and haven't gone into the "woe is me" black hole, headspace feels a lot lighter and clearer.
          "There are no short cuts to enlightenment, the journey is the destination, you have to walk this path alone"

Comment

This is probably not really on point. I used to be depressed (but I never sought treatment--at one point I considered it, but my very anti-anti-depressant friend talked me off the ledge--told me that I won't be me anymore if I started taking meds), but it went away after I started working out regularly. That was long before I went primal so this is probably not helpful for you, sorry.

My journal

Comment

Primal keeps my blood sugar regular, which helps with food cravings, which is good for managing my eating disorder, which helps with my depression. I still take an antidepressant, but this way of life helps.

Comment

I did not have clinical depression and did not take meds. I did have depression and took meds a long time ago and guess what? I was on a low fat, low calorie diet at the time.

I did notice that my mood improved. I went from being prone to misanthropy with a tendency to lose my temper now and then to feeling sunny, happy and rather nice toward people. A friend of mine who changed his diet by simply removing sugar and flour (grains okay but not flour) also reported he and his wife experienced the same mood shift. Also, they no longer bicker. His wife went off her depression medications recently, too.
                Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I think I had some level of depression/anxiety my whole adult life. Actually, probably even as early as elementary school. I was never completely incapacitated by it, though, and so I was reluctant to get any professional help. My sister had a serious drug problem into her 20s and then spent 15 years looking for the right kind of therapy and anti-depressant. She eats an above average SAD and is pretty happy with where her prescription meds have gotten her.

I started out losing weight on a SAD calorie counting plan and found that the foods that were working for me were mostly primal. As I ate more and more primal and less and less processed food, my mood really changed! At one point, I was so worried about how different my mood was that I started to wonder if I was actually bipolar and I'd just gone from some 20 year depressive episode to some kind of mania. After about 6 months of feeling amazing, I don't think I'm delusional and I haven't done anything really stupid, so I no longer worry about mania. This is just how a normal person feels, I guess.

I'm not super strict, either. I probably eat a single portion of wheat twice a month, a single portion of rice 2-4 times a month and (a few non-wheat) beers every weekend. My carbs are typically between 100-150/day, but can range from 75-200, depending on whatever. I've just started playing around with dairy, because it may be that my daily 1/2C of yogurt is messing with my digestion. As far as I can tell, though, it hasn't impacted my mood.
                  50yo, 5'3"
                  SW-195
                  CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
                  GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Comment

Switching to primal has had a significant positive effect on my mood. Getting rid of sugars (other than natural sugar from berries), wheat, and processed foods lifted me out of a lifelong low-grade depression. Those times when I slip into a sugar binge (almost always in response to stress), the effect on my mood as well as my body is immediate and profound: I quickly become depressed, withdrawn, and anxious, in addition to physically feeling terrible. Fortunately those binge episodes are becoming rare, in part because I don't want to feel that way anymore.

Comment

Switching to primal had helped me tremendously. Since cutting sugars and grains my fibromyalgia has quit having flare ups. I then went super low carb on it based on the connection between keto diets and epilepsy. Even though I don't have epilepsy, the parallels between it and bipolar in brain wave activities and the use of many medications for both gave me hope that a primal keto diet would help with my moods.

I'm happy to report I feel amazingly normal, my moods seem pretty stable, and I just generally feel great. I blame it all (in a good way) on primal.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
                      Every moment of life does not have to be perfect to be of value --Winnie Dalley

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Comment

Edited for wrong thread fubar
                        Every moment of life does not have to be perfect to be of value --Winnie Dalley

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Comment

My family has a tendency towards cyclical thought patterns and chronic depression. Since going Primal, I find I crash less often and for shorter bursts, but the intensity is pretty much the same. I guess it's simply that I get stressed less easily, but, when I DO get stressed, nothing can fix it and I spiral straight down into depression.
                          So, in a roundabout way, it helped a bit. *shrugs*
                          --
                          Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
                          I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
                          I'd apologize, but...

Comment

I try to be depressed beause it's cool, but it's really hard these days. I want to frown at people as they drive by like a powerful emo god, but I'm too busy singing at the top of my lungs and feeling amazing. I sort of miss the hypnotic feeling of being too numb to feel anything, but I can't chase away the happy butterflies of sunshine that coat my entire being. It's kind of depressing being this happy...

I guess having a new body will do that to you. I don't fart, snore, get itchy rashes, wake up in pain...I feel like a complete reboot has happened, like I was born three years ago and everything is fresh again.
                            Last edited by Knifegill; 05-15-2013, 01:45 AM.
                            Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by Kochin View Post
                              My family has a tendency towards cyclical thought patterns and chronic depression. Since going Primal, I find I crash less often and for shorter bursts, but the intensity is pretty much the same. I guess it's simply that I get stressed less easily, but, when I DO get stressed, nothing can fix it and I spiral straight down into depression.
                              So, in a roundabout way, it helped a bit. *shrugs*
                              Snap. My mind still feels unpredictable at times but if Primal/paleo hasn't 'fixed it' then that's that. I still feel better than I did pre-primal!

Comment

Working...
                              X