No announcement yet.

Depression Survey

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have had bouts of depression most of my life but never sought treatment, I usually just push through it . When switching to paleo i remember feeling great and my mood stabilizing for a while but an unbreakable depression slowly crept its way back. So much so that the friends who I was living with at the time (and considered family) started to mock this "fad" diet and blaming "not getting enough carbs" as the cause of my poor mood (little did they know they were fueling my depression). One move later and im still 80/20 paleo but still mildly depressed (I think for what I left behind) and I struggle with the question of was it the diet that caused my worsening depression or was it my past living arrangement that drove my depression and the paleo diet switch was just coincidence.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by DennyB; 05-19-2013, 04:48 AM.

Comment

Sometimes worse...especially seasonal depression. I've noticed when I limit carbs in the winter it gets particularly bad.

Comment

Being depressed is not cool!
        Yes it is. I'm a total dork now. People hate happy people. What rock you been hiding under?
        Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by Meghanner View Post
          Sometimes worse...especially seasonal depression. I've noticed when I limit carbs in the winter it gets particularly bad.
          Primal is not a low carb diet. When I tried VLC I became severely depressed. Eating primal and being sure to eat carbs either spread out through the week or refeeds now and then keep my mood stable. Of course, the recent financial changes for our family lead to a more laid back attitude as well.

Comment

It works differently for a lot of people. The refined carbohydrates and sugar are like stimulants, and when I was in withdrawal phase I use to experience a lack of motivation or determination, like something was missing. I was losing weight but the lack of energy accompanied by the withdrawal symptoms just made me like a heroin addict in rehab. Since I am only a month into Primal I still experience some mood swings but they've improved, along with the carbohydrate increase.

I remember browsing through forums and envying people who raved about an energy boost within days of transitioning and felt somewhat disappointed and cheated, but now I realise how glucose and carbohydrate dependent I was with all that excessive consumption of high GI fruits and wheat products.

Comment

Originally posted by teach2183 View Post
              Primal is not a low carb diet. When I tried VLC I became severely depressed. Eating primal and being sure to eat carbs either spread out through the week or refeeds now and then keep my mood stable. Of course, the recent financial changes for our family lead to a more laid back attitude as well.
              I know that primal/paleo isn't a low carb diet. I was just trying it out, as many do. Totally agree, carbs are essential for good mood balance. Funny though, I seem to need way more in the winter (100+ish) and way less in the summer (50-75 ish). Possibly linked to serotonin ?

Comment

Working...
              X