Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking I need to add calories, but what kind?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking I need to add calories, but what kind?

Here's a sample of what a typical day looks like for me:

11am -- 6 tablespoons shredded coconut (it's slightly reduced fat, just because that's what my whole foods carries... 100 calories and 9g fat in six tablespoons) with about 56g dark chocolate (no sugar... it's pure cacao in bar form) and some egg white protein powder (jay robb brand. 24g protein)

6pm -- usually 8oz of grass fed ground beef sauteed with vegetables like kale or spaghetti squash. But if I can't get my hands on grass fed, I'll do 8 oz ground turkey and add two eggs or some extra cooking fat.

If I'm still hungry after that, I'll have around a cup of strawberries.

All of that comes to around 1100-1200 calories, just under 70g fat, 80g protein, and 30-40g carbs. I still always seem to be hungry, I figure I should raise my calories a bit, but can't decide what macro to increase. As a side note, my main form of exercise is walking between 2 and 4 miles every day, and body weight exercises once or twice a week.

Yeah.... either make the 11:00 thing a real meal. Like 6 eggs with bacon, or like what you have for dinner instead of the smoothie thing. Or add a small meal at 2:00. Can of sardines with an apple and some nuts maybe.

Comment

Your protein and carbs look good. Some additional fat would keep you from getting hungry. I agree with NH about real eggs instead of egg white powder. If you must have a smoothie, you could make it with coconut cream. Aroy-D brand is the best. No additives or BPA cans.

Comment

>30-40 carbs all of which from shitty vegetables

Yup, looks good.
        Make America Great Again

Comment

Originally posted by Derpamix View Post

Yup, looks good.
          What are you talking about Derp? Chocolate has carbs! *rolls eyes rollier*

Phrased in English: eat a potato.
          Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

Comment

Yup, looks good.
            Um, Derp, she also has berries, coconut, and eggs all of which have carbs in addition to the kale and squash. Everybody knows how I feel about kale but squash isn't that bad, it's actually rather starchy. But Derp doesn't approve. So you must start drinking hummingbird food by the gallon. And take up smoking too. It's good for your health.

double rollier rolleyes

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
              Um, Derp, she also has berries, coconut, and eggs all of which have carbs in addition to the kale and squash. Everybody knows how I feel about kale but squash isn't that bad, it's actually rather starchy. But Derp doesn't approve. So you must start drinking hummingbird food by the gallon. And take up smoking too. It's good for your health.

double rollier rolleyes
              Neither egg whites(0 carbs) nor 100% dark chocolate have carbs lol unless you count indigestible fiber as carbs which is why both drop your blood sugar like a brick. hypoglycemia is cool around here.

and oooh a cup of strawberries big time amount of carbs there. 30-40 isn't enough

gj though typical condescending response from a keto stick waving drone
              Make America Great Again

Comment

listen... the OP needs more calories. I know from reading her posts that she is relatively low carb. Unless she asks for specifics on how to add carbs I'm just going to assume she's talking in the context of her current regiment.

But we can totally avoid getting into a macro war by just make the suggestions of:

1. As PB said coconut cream would up the calorie count in that smoothie
                2. Add a meal between smoothie and dinner.
                3. Replace smoothie with more substantial food.

Whoops just read the end and see she does ask which macro to increase..... Ok, flame on
                Last edited by Neckhammer; 04-30-2013, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Fruit is sexy, eat it.

Comment

Yup, looks good.
                    and what is this?

doesn't this end up reading "greater than 30-40 carbs....."?

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                      and what is this?

doesn't this end up reading "greater than 30-40 carbs....."?
                      It's a way of quoting something easier
                      Make America Great Again

Comment

Neither egg whites(0 carbs) nor 100% dark chocolate have carbs lol unless you count indigestible fiber as carbs which is why both drop your blood sugar like a brick. hypoglycemia is cool around here.
                        What's the mechanism for that?
                        As far as I was aware carb intake only had a positive pressure effect on blood sugar control, hence the Insulin spike to bring it down and by reducing carbs only reduced the size of the spike closer to baseline as determined by ones body.

I was not aware that a non carb intake caused instant Hypoglcemia, causing insulin levels to plummet.
                        "There are no short cuts to enlightenment, the journey is the destination, you have to walk this path alone"

Comment

Neither egg whites(0 carbs) nor 100% dark chocolate have carbs. hypoglycemia is cool around here.

and oooh a cup of strawberries big time amount of carbs there. 30-40 isn't enough

gj though typical condescending response from a keto stick waving drone
                          That is why I suggested real eggs, whole food as opposed to isolated protein. And I never said sugar free chocolate had carbs. You just ignore the squash, coconut and berries and dub all her carbs "shitty". She asked for help, not abuse.

Somebody's being pouty today.

Comment

Originally posted by PrimalStudent View Post
                            Here's a sample of what a typical day looks like for me:

11am -- 6 tablespoons shredded coconut (it's slightly reduced fat, just because that's what my whole foods carries... 100 calories and 9g fat in six tablespoons) with about 56g dark chocolate (no sugar... it's pure cacao in bar form) and some egg white protein powder (jay robb brand. 24g protein)

6pm -- usually 8oz of grass fed ground beef sauteed with vegetables like kale or spaghetti squash. But if I can't get my hands on grass fed, I'll do 8 oz ground turkey and add two eggs or some extra cooking fat.

If I'm still hungry after that, I'll have around a cup of strawberries.

All of that comes to around 1100-1200 calories, just under 70g fat, 80g protein, and 30-40g carbs. I still always seem to be hungry, I figure I should raise my calories a bit, but can't decide what macro to increase. As a side note, my main form of exercise is walking between 2 and 4 miles every day, and body weight exercises once or twice a week.
                            Just try eat more real food, IMO smoothies are a treat.
                            Add more fat for a while, if that doesn't do it for you try add more carbs, I think your overall calorie intake is too low and the macro's are not really the problem, just the volume.
                            "There are no short cuts to enlightenment, the journey is the destination, you have to walk this path alone"

Comment

Originally posted by Omni View Post
                              What's the mechanism for that?
                              As far as I was aware carb intake only had a positive pressure effect on blood sugar control, hence the Insulin spike to bring it down and by reducing carbs only reduced the size of the spike closer to baseline as determined by ones body.

I was not aware that a non carb intake caused instant Hypoglcemia, causing insulin levels to plummet.
                              Fiber blunts the insulin response in the presence of carbs so obviously when you don't have carbs that blunted response leads to an instant hypoglycemic coma. Geesh. Why do I have to spell it out for ya .

Comment

Working...
                              X