Backing Up on Paleo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FireFinder View Post
    I do not know these people but I will be googling them ASAP. I am one of those LC'ers who went that direction in order to contain disordered eating. I am physically healthy, but man, I want to be emotionally healed. Thanks for dropping the reference amidst the debating....
    Just to make sure you didn't misunderstand, those aren't people who specifically counsel eating disorders (although Matt Stone does, I think). They're more anti-low carb sites than anything.
    Last edited by Timthetaco; 05-04-2013, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PrimalStudent View Post
      One of the most eye-opening things I ever read on the forum was a comment that said (roughly), "the reason why Atkins works, and even low-fat diets work (at least as long as you stick with them) is because they ALL remove the same high-reward, low-satiety foods from your pantry -- Cheetos, Oreos, etc."
      Sounds like something I might have said myself. I totally agree with that statement for sure. It's funny, there seem to be certain foods that all diets can agree on as being bad, but we spend so much time focusing on the differences between the diets that we neglect to note the similarities that almost all diets have.
      "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
        This. Paleo and primal are about working out what works best for you. N=1 experimentation and all.

Some people need high fat, low carb diets and some people need higher carb, lower fat diets. The great part of paleo and primal is that you can totally adjust it to your needs. It's not a "one size fits all" perscription like Atkins or the Ornish diet tend to be.
        I disagree about primal not being low carb. I got the impression that it was low carb when I read Mark Sisson giving permission to eat a sweet potato if you run a marathon, or when he wrote the body only needs 30 grams of glucose per day, which can be provided by gluconeogenesis. I'm not alone in that impression. Most beginners seem to start in ketosis, and it's like pulling teeth to convince them it's not usually optimal or even necessary.

But this isn't anything I haven't said dozens of times already over the past several months. So in the interest of not wasting my entire weekend, that's all I'll say.

Comment

U
          Originally posted by Timthetaco View Post
          I disagree about primal not being low carb. I got the impression that it was low carb when I read Mark Sisson giving permission to eat a sweet potato if you run a marathon, or when he wrote the body only needs 30 grams of glucose per day, which can be provided by gluconeogenesis. I'm not alone in that impression. Most beginners seem to start in ketosis, and it's like pulling teeth to convince them it's not usually optimal or even necessary.

But this isn't anything I haven't said dozens of times already over the past several months. So in the interest of not wasting my entire weekend, that's all I'll say.
          it's "lower" carb, but lower =/= low.

Low, in the sense of Atkins is 25 grams or less of net carbs. Most docs and nutritionists will tell you that anything below 50 grams is in VLC territory.

On the other hand, Mark has said he eats 100-150 grams a day. Far less than most SAD eaters or low fat, high carb dieters but way more than what is usually defined clinically as "low carb."
          "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

One of the most eye-opening things I ever read on the forum was a comment that said (roughly), "the reason why Atkins works, and even low-fat diets work (at least as long as you stick with them) is because they ALL remove the same high-reward, low-satiety foods from your pantry -- Cheetos, Oreos, etc."
            And they all become less effective when they come up with "fat free" or "low carb" oreos, cheetos, etc.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
            Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

I actually agree with TTT. By definition Primal tm is a low carb approach. The carb curve is right there for all to see. But, it is definitely open to interpretation for athletic performance and such.

Paleo on the other hand, not so much. It's a slightly larger umbrella.

Then you got the Ancestral Health Movement.... probably the largest umbrealla of all as it can encompass WAPF, paleo, and HG and other societies.

Thats actually why when asked I usually just say I eat Primal.... even though I may not be Primal tm (and I just rather say I eat HG) I think it give the closest approximation of my daily meals of whole foods with an eye toward keeping "relatively" low carb.

Comment

Folks might be confusing description and prescription here.

SAD = refined fat + refined carb
                Primal = unrefined fat + unrefined carb

All fat is by nature hydrophobic (H2O fraction = 0%) so exchanging bad fat for good fat--while tremendously important and beneficial--won't affect the energy content of your food.

By contrast, a defining feature of refined carbs is dehydration which multiplies the energy density tremendously. Cereal/bread/chips have ~3x more carbs per bite than a banana or potato and ~5x more than other stuff like beets and squashes. Our eating behavior doesn't run on a simple calorimeter so we inevitably take in more.

So anyone who switches to unrefined food is probably going to drop a lot of carbs even if they neglect to track them.
                37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

Originally posted by picklepete View Post
                  Folks might be confusing description and prescription here.

SAD = refined fat + refined carb
                  Primal = unrefined fat + unrefined carb

All fat is by nature hydrophobic (H2O fraction = 0%) so exchanging bad fat for good fat--while tremendously important and beneficial--won't affect the energy content of your food.

By contrast, a defining feature of refined carbs is dehydration which multiplies the energy density tremendously. Cereal/bread/chips have ~3x more carbs per bite than a banana or potato and ~5x more than other stuff like beets and squashes. Our eating behavior doesn't run on a simple calorimeter so we inevitably take in more.

So anyone who switches to unrefined food is probably going to drop a lot of carbs even if they neglect to track them.
                  that's super interesting to think about... I've never heard anyone discuss that before.

Comment

Working...
                  X