Backing Up on Paleo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Now your just trolling right? If you wanna eat like an Okinawan be sure to get plenty of pork offal! Read here:

What about the Okinawans? | Melissa McEwen on food anthropology, economics, and culture

"In a study of Japanese migrants in the United States the cultural upbringing was the strongest predictor of coronary heart disease. Those who were brought up in a non-Japanese fashion but preferred the lean Japanese food had a heart attack almost twice as often as those who were brought up in the Japanese way but fatty American food."

Not to mention the Okinawans have a genetic variation that helps greatly in their longevity.

Hey while your picking random societies why not look at the hundreds of hunter gatherer tribes cataloged who eat an average of 70-85% of their calories from "hunted" animals. None of them suffer any diseases of civilization either, and given that we are talking hundreds of societies rather than one particular group its highly unlikely that there are genetic causes for their good health.
    How about osteoporosis? The Eskimos have a relatively high meat consumption and also has one of the highest rates for osteoporosis. The Japanese people tend to eat 45kg of meat per capita while the US consumes upwards of 102kg. The Japanese have 30 CHD cases per 100,000 people while the US has 106.5 per 100,000 people.

Comment

Originally posted by Kool View Post
      How about osteoporosis? The Eskimos have a relatively high meat consumption and also has one of the highest rates for osteoporosis. The Japanese people tend to eat 45kg of meat per capita while the US consumes upwards of 102kg. The Japanese have 30 CHD cases per 100,000 people while the US has 106.5 per 100,000 people.
      Has they? Yup, obviously there are no other confounding factors there. Well I'm convinced!

Comment

Keep backpedaling

Fruit tastes good. I'm an omnivore, so I'll choose to live like one. There is nothing complete about a restrictive diet of meat. In order to get all your nutrients, et al. you have to include plant food, or as you so coyly refer to it: horse fodder. Plus eating nothing but meat made me smell like wet dog, it wasn't endearing.

Oh, and don't forget the digestive stress all that meat puts on as well as the obvious problem of being in ketosis.
        Make America Great Again

Comment

It seems as though Paleo has gotten very popular because it offered people a "go" signal to indulge in fatty meats and oils which resulted in rapid weight loss for overweight people because they went from a SAD to a whole foods diet. It's really fascinating for you all to lash out and call me a troll even though I stated my opinion because you are so insecure about your diet you feel the need to undermine mine.
          Paleo seems like a safe haven for people who want to believe vegetables and fruits aren't that great.
          Well they are.
          If the human diet uses carbs as it's first choice of energy, then shouldn't that be the most natural source of food?
          Maybe paleo is a excuse for some of you to ignore the nagging feelings that vegetables are the best source of nutrients.
          I'm actually appalled at the fact paleobird feeds her dogs avocado, which contains persin, a toxic fungus for dogs. Dogs are carnivores, not omnivores. They should be the one eating loads of meats and fat and whatever, not us.
          We are the omnivores.
          Humans are most closely related to bonobos, which are omnivorous frugivores- They eat high amounts of fruit along with a small amount of meat.
          I believe some animal meat is fine, but I do not believe high consumption of fats and meat advocated by Mark is healthy.
          I believe Mark has succeeded in selling a fad diet for people who want to believe that eating a ridiculous amount of animal products is ok.
          I don't know how you all can just ignore the fact that most of you are not fit at all.
          The small number of you are relatively fit and lean but most are ehh, not so much. Not trying to be mean but brutally honest.
          I hope this is a wake up call for you all to eat more vegetables and less fat cause is it really getting you anywhere?

Thank you to those who wished me luck and I hope you guys the best too.

Comment

Mmmmmmm. More troll meat for the MDA forums.

I always wish people luck when I see they don't have much else going for em .

Kinda like.... "hey, look what I'm gonna do... I'm gonna try to fly from my roof top...." Well good luck with that.
            Last edited by Neckhammer; 04-29-2013, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
              Oh, and don't forget the digestive stress all that meat puts on as well as the obvious problem of being in ketosis.
              Tell me more about the digestive street of eating too much meat and the obvious problem of being in ketosis.
              Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
              5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
              Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
              TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
              bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Dogs are carnivores, not omnivores. They should be the one eating loads of meats and fat and whatever, not us.
                First I'd like to congratulate you for embracing what you know works for you rather than tumbling further down the rabbit hole. I quoted this because I disagree, though. I tried my dog on a raw meat diet a while ago, and her bowel movements were gnarly. Ironically, pumpkin bound up her poop and made it look somewhat normal. In fact, that was a common recommendation on raw food dog boards. Now I give my dog cooked meat and starch, and she's happier than ever and actually pooping well.

Off topic, just thought I'd throw that in there. Congratulations, again. Don't let groupthink override your better sense of judgment.

As for your vegan diet, I'd recommend focusing more on the higher fiber and/or higher glycemic starches and fruit rather than non-starchy vegetables. But I didn't read the whole thread, so I don't know what you're doing exactly.
                Last edited by Timthetaco; 04-29-2013, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Hey Kool, think first then post, Dude. Otherwise you look like a jerk.

From the Pet Poison Hotline website:
                  Avocado contains a toxin called persin, but despite the rumors, avocado is not poisonous to dogs, nor likely to cats. Only certain species are poisoned by persin. While dogs and cats don’t seem to be affected by persin, avocado poisoning can be deadly to birds and large animals (such as cattle). The bigger risk to dogs and cats is a foreign body obstruction, which can occur if the dog swallowed the whole large, round avocado seed; due to size alone, this seed can get stuck in the esophagus, stomach or intestinal tract of dogs.

My dog isn't stupid enough to try to eat the pit.
                  Cats are obligate carnivores. Dogs are not. Even wolves eat berries.

The rest of the troll fodder isn't even worth refuting.
                  Last edited by Paleobird; 04-29-2013, 09:15 PM.

Comment

It seems as though Paleo has gotten very popular because it offered people a "go" signal to indulge in fatty meats and oils which resulted in rapid weight loss for overweight people because they went from a SAD to a whole foods diet. It's really fascinating for you all to lash out and call me a troll even though I stated my opinion because you are so insecure about your diet you feel the need to undermine mine.
                    Paleo seems like a safe haven for people who want to believe vegetables and fruits aren't that great.
                    Well they are.
                    If the human diet uses carbs as it's first choice of energy, then shouldn't that be the most natural source of food?
                    Maybe paleo is a excuse for some of you to ignore the nagging feelings that vegetables are the best source of nutrients.
                    I'm actually appalled at the fact paleobird feeds her dogs avocado, which contains persin, a toxic fungus for dogs. Dogs are carnivores, not omnivores. They should be the one eating loads of meats and fat and whatever, not us.
                    We are the omnivores.
                    Humans are most closely related to bonobos, which are omnivorous frugivores- They eat high amounts of fruit along with a small amount of meat.
                    I believe some animal meat is fine, but I do not believe high consumption of fats and meat advocated by Mark is healthy.
                    I believe Mark has succeeded in selling a fad diet for people who want to believe that eating a ridiculous amount of animal products is ok.
                    I don't know how you all can just ignore the fact that most of you are not fit at all.
                    The small number of you are relatively fit and lean but most are ehh, not so much. Not trying to be mean but brutally honest.
                    I hope this is a wake up call for you all to eat more vegetables and less fat cause is it really getting you anywhere?

Not really much said that hasn't already been refuted, so
                    "Goodbye and thanks for all the fish."
                    "There are no short cuts to enlightenment, the journey is the destination, you have to walk this path alone"

Comment

They do now because they eat too many grains....back in the day not so much.
                      Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                      PS
                      Don't forget to play!

Comment

The Inuit (they have not been Eskoms for years which shows how outdated you ideas are) have issues with osteoporosis now because they eat too many grains....back in the day not so much.
                        Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                        PS
                        Don't forget to play!

Comment

It seems as though Paleo has gotten very popular because it offered people a "go" signal to indulge in fatty meats and oils which resulted in rapid weight loss for overweight people because they went from a SAD to a whole foods diet.
                          Possibly so, but speaking only for myself, when I cut out the grains and dairy while keeping lots of vegetables and fruits and increasing my intake of fatty meats and SOME oils, my overall health has improved tremendously. Previously I did eat a few processed foods, but most of my diet was from whole foods including many whole grains and legumes.

It's really fascinating for you all to lash out and call me a troll even though I stated my opinion because you are so insecure about your diet you feel the need to undermine mine.
                          Well they are.
                          There are some folks who choose not to eat vegetables and fruits, while there are many more who do. Paleo/Primal is a pretty broad group that is very difficult to paint accurately with one brush. Certainly not everyone who follows this way of life is low carb, although for some that is their chosen path. While I see no reason to undermine your choice in diet, I do question why you are doing so to others. Live and let live.

It is a good source of energy, but if a person is not thriving on them then it is not the best choice for that person.

Just as many vegetarians ignore the fact that meats are a wonderful source of nutrition, some following paleo/primal choose not to eat vegetables. Neither has balance but that doesn't mean that either person has the nagging suspicion that they are missing something in their diet.

You are welcome to your beliefs, respectfully, I disagree.

And it is because many of us have been unhealthy when unsuccessfully trying other ways of life that we get excited when we find something that actually works. Ample meat, ample fat, plenty of vegetables, and some fruit works for me. Finally, I'm at a point where I can approach getting fit because I have a phenomenal amount of energy and no pain for the first time in years. Being a vegetarian (2 years) and a primarily whole foods (including grains & dairy) omnivore for many years did not bring me to good health. The only time I was anywhere near this healthy was when eating very low carb for a few years.

I do wish you luck, and hope that you find a way of life that works for you.
                          Last edited by Patti; 04-29-2013, 09:52 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Mark never said to live on meat and fat, he has simply devoted more of of his words to defending them than he has in promoting vegetables. If you actually read Primal Blueprint, you'd know that. We crazy folk on this forum do not represent Mark, only Mark represents Mark. I do agree with him that the body prefers fat as a source of fuel, that's for sure. But Mark isn't the anti-carb nut you newbies think he is. He's perfectly okay with upwards of 100g of vegetable and fruit carbs per day! That's a lot of plant!
                            Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

In this thread: Kool spends time attacking and criticising her understanding of what paleo is, and succeeds.
                              Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
                              5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                              Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                              TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                              bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Dogs are opportunistic omnivores. My 2 regularly strip my blueberry bushes and strawberry plants bare and one goes nuts for oranges! Both love apples, pears and carrots too. They will also graze on particular grasses, not in the commonly thought way to make themselves sick etc, but because the actually seem to like certain kinds.

Much like how wolves will eat berries and herbs.

I feed them mainly a diet of raw meaty bones and offal, with some fruit or veggies.

http://www.auroraanimalhospital.com/...dog-eat-grass/
                                If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
                                If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

Working...
                                X