No announcement yet.

Backing Up on Paleo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okinawans eat a LOT of pork, not the original scant amount reported.
    Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

The Okinawan Vegitarian myth seems to be as hard to kill as the Lipid Hypothesis.

Kool, go and do some real reading on the Okinawan's.
      Health is not relevant to the instant gratification generation, if that is what you are after, then find the glossiest image of the perfect body you want and follow the script, when it fails you then come back, slightly humbled, this will involve some psychological hurdles, and start looking at the details and you will find your way, lower carb, higher carb it don't matter, but when you start listening to your body and not your head you will find the way, let your head do the information gathering, that's what it's good at and then let your body make the choices, it's always right.
      "There are no short cuts to enlightenment, the journey is the destination, you have to walk this path alone"

Comment

Originally posted by j3nn View Post
        You habitually refer to plant foods as horse fodder and now birdseed, does that mean the carnivorous foods you prefer are dog chow? I think your contempt for plants goes a bit far.
        Well she does eat the same things as her dog, so probably.

I think it's cute, to imagine them eating out of the same bowl.
        Make America Great Again

Comment

Have you ever heard of Paul Check and Metabolic Typing? There is lots of room for a paleo/primal diet using these guidelines. According to metabolic typing you are either one of 3 types: Protein, Mixed or Carb. It sounds like your body thrives on carbohydrates. If you feel good eating with those macro's DO IT! It's easy to do it without grains or legumes (and your diet will be a lot cheaper than most of ours!). Fill up on yams, fruits, veggies, squashes, likely potatoes are ok for you too. Enjoy, don't stress.

Comment

Originally posted by Derpamix View Post

Don't see the problem with that. I don't feed anything to my dogs that I wouldn't/don't eat.
            They just get less fruit and veggies than me.
            If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
            If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

Have you ever heard of Paul Check and Metabolic Typing?
              Yup... I think different diets work for different bodies. I was a damn fat vegan.... I'm not sold on Primal or Paleo being everyone's answer.

I did that metabolic typing and it is spot on to what works for me. I can't do the higher fats, need the proteins and carbs.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
              Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Originally posted by Misabi View Post
                Don't see the problem with that. I don't feed anything to my dogs that I wouldn't/don't eat.
                They just get less fruit and veggies than me.
                No problem with that. Problem is when it's said in a derogatory manner. Saying both you and your dog eat quality food is a lot different than implying many people are eating the lowest form of foods on earth fit only for lesser mammals.
                | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams

Comment

There's a lot of mythology out there about "traditional diets". Usually people cherrypick what they think people used to eat. Or still eat. But most often it completely ignores how people actually eat.

If you learned about "Indian" food at a yoga retreat where they cook lots of healthy vegetarian food to serve to healthy students of yoga, you might be surprised to hear that real Indians eat lots of fried food, and have issues with heart disease, diabetes, and other diseases of civilization. There's also a common misconception that the traditional Japanese diet is mostly vegetables, seaweed, fish, and tofu. Or that any of these groups eat much brown rice.

The funniest I ever saw was a woman on Denise Minger's blog who sincerely believed that "the Asian diet" is an extraordinarily health diet that exists in Asia and is eaten by all Asians.

Comment

Originally posted by j3nn View Post
                    You habitually refer to plant foods as horse fodder and now birdseed, does that mean the carnivorous foods you prefer are dog chow? I think your contempt for plants goes a bit far.
                    This was my light hearted way of describing veganism. Sheesh. Untwist the knickers a bit before you cut off your circulation.

Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
                    I have even referred to my eating plan as the "Things My Dog Likes Too" diet. He loves coconut, avocados, berries, etc. in addition to the eggs, meat, and dairy.
                    So we do have very similar tastes but he does get a separate bowl. It would be hard for him to reach the table.

Comment

Originally posted by Kool View Post
                      Okinawan people of Japan who tend to live the longest of all populations. They tend to eat vegetables the most, sweet potatoes and rice for starch, very minimal meat like pork which is eaten for special occasions, some fruit, lots of seaweed, some fish, and very little fat and dairy. They also eat moderate levels of tofu and beans.
                      Except for the tofu and beans it sounds pretty primal to me. Lots of fresh produce, no gluten, no manufactured foods, no seed oils, no sweating over what food to eat - just what is fresh and available locally. Primal and paleo don't prescribe a set macronutrient ratio.

Comment

Okinawans really like sea snakes.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                          Untwist the knickers a bit before you cut off your circulation.
                          No! Keep 'em twisted!

The original poster sounds like a vegan troll.
                          5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

This was my light hearted way of describing veganism. Sheesh. Untwist the knickers a bit before you cut off your circulation.
                            Some people just will not accept the superiority of meat and organs to fodder.... their loss

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                              Some people just will not accept the superiority of meat and organs to fodder.... their loss
                              I just made the most delectable pot of neck bone stew. I think I'll call it The Neckhammer.

Comment

I just made the most delectable pot of neck bone stew. I think I'll call it The Neckhammer.
                                Hahaha... I'm honored!

Comment

Working...
                                X