Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full Fat Greek Yogurt/Yoghurt

I'm sure everyone already knows this but I just recently discovered ---

Fage Full fat was starting to get harder to find in my area, as a few stores that usually carried it, now do not (which, oddly, coincided w/ them ADDING whole milk to their shelves, go figure).

So I poked around at Trader Joe's and discovered that their Greek yogurt is higher in total fat than the Fage! Fage 11g and Trader Joe's 18g to the cup.

FYI everybody, if you're not making it at home already, btw batches of bone broth

“you aren't what you eat - you are what you don't poop.” Wavy Gravy

Today I am Fillyjonk. Tommorow I will be Snufkin.

So i'd probably be choosing the 18g of fat yoghurt

Comment

Yeah, I discovered the TJ yoghurt a while ago. Then I discovered the Voskos Plain Original that has 20g of fat per serving. It's sold at the Berkeley Bowl (heads up all Bay Area residents). Now I'm shamelessly enjoying a small bowl of Voskos with fresh organic blueberries, blackberries and raspberries on my heavy lift days.
      "It's true, you are a good woman. Then again, you may be the antichrist."

Comment

must find Voskos to try

Comment

Originally posted by spk View Post
          must find Voskos to try
          Find it near you
          "It's true, you are a good woman. Then again, you may be the antichrist."

Comment

So how does TJ taste compared to FAGE? How does the ingredient list compare? The culture profile?

I'm not a fan of TJ in general, but will keep an eye out for Voskos. I love a good yogurt. I also love my yogurt topped with a dollop of sour cream.
            50yo, 5'3"
            SW-195
            CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
            GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Comment

Whenever I look at yogurt at the store, usually only can find 0% fat, I notice the sugar is so high. I avoid it for just this reason and I really do like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
                Whenever I look at yogurt at the store, usually only can find 0% fat, I notice the sugar is so high. I avoid it for just this reason and I really do like it.
                It takes some digging but brands like Wallaby and Dreaming Cow are pretty good.
                37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

We don't seem to carry those brands around here but I can keep my eye out for them. Do you know why yogurt is so high in sugar? I'm talking about the plain unflavored kind.

Comment

Milk is naturally high in carbs, but with skim milk there is no fat to balance out the carbs or make the yogurt set firmly. They add more milk solids to 0% yogurt to make it set better. Skim milk without more dry milk solids added makes an unattractively watery yogurt.

Comment

Thanks. That means then that full fat yogurt (can't find any to check around here) should have a lower sugar count?
                      Last edited by Rosemary 231; 04-29-2013, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Yes, it should.

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                          Yes, it should.
                          We have a Trader Joe's, I can check there. I really love Greek yogurt, just was put off by the sugar. Recently reached my goal weight and I'm real skittish about putting anything in my mouth and gaining the weight back. Thanks.

Comment

I checked Meijer today and all their Greek yogurt choices were either 0 fat, or low fat No TJs or Whole Foods around here-bummer!
                            Last edited by mom23kids; 04-29-2013, 01:49 PM.
                            *Sara*

Comment

Originally posted by LauraSB View Post
                              So how does TJ taste compared to FAGE? How does the ingredient list compare? The culture profile?

I'm not a fan of TJ in general, but will keep an eye out for Voskos. I love a good yogurt. I also love my yogurt topped with a dollop of sour cream.
                              HEY LAURASB

So I checked and Fage is 8 of sugar, Trader Joes 9 -- boo hiss

Two other differences of note; Joes does not have Bificus culture (if that is important to you but has the other cultures) and oddly, includes nonfat amongst the Grade A Milk and Cream.

The texture is a little thinner, only slightly, in the Joes version and I'd even say a wee bit zingy-ier in taste than Fage.

Comment

Working...
                              X