No announcement yet.

Full Fat Greek Yogurt/Yoghurt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It isn't Greek yogurt per se (i.e. not high in protein), but Greek God's full fat plain is by far my favorite yogurt - BY FAR. It's so thick and is great eaten by itself or added to a nice hot soup. Try it out if you get the chance.

Comment

Every time I find a full fat Greek yogurt I like the stores stop carrying it. The first was Voskos, then it was Olympus. I like Greek Gods, but none of the stores in my area carry it. I guess with the low fat/no fat craze these days, very few people buy it.

There is neither a WF or TJs close enough to shop at where I am.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynna View Post
        There is neither a WF or TJs close enough to shop at where I am.
        Have you tried talking to the purchasing manager at the store that used to carry them to see if he/she could order some for you?
        "It's true, you are a good woman. Then again, you may be the antichrist."

Comment

Low or 0% Fage plain greek yogurt doesn't have more sugar, AFAIK.

Comment

Originally posted by elfman5150 View Post
            It isn't Greek yogurt per se (i.e. not high in protein), but Greek God's full fat plain is by far my favorite yogurt - BY FAR. It's so thick and is great eaten by itself or added to a nice hot soup. Try it out if you get the chance.
            I second this. I bought some for the first time yesterday and I must have used 1 cup of it as a dip for fresh strawberries and mango. Fan-freakin-tastic.
            The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

Comment

If you all ever want to kick your yoghurt experience up a notch in awesomeness, you should check out labne (I've also seen it spelled labneh and labna). In any case it is a middle eastern kefir cheese that tastes like greek yoghurt but has a consistency somewhere between sour cream and cream cheese.

I get mine at a little bodega in the not so nice section of town run by middle eastern folks. My Jewish BFF turned me on to it. She is 82 and from Vienna and she says she was raised on that stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                If you all ever want to kick your yoghurt experience up a notch in awesomeness, you should check out labne (I've also seen it spelled labneh and labna). In any case it is a middle eastern kefir cheese that tastes like greek yoghurt but has a consistency somewhere between sour cream and cream cheese.

I get mine at a little bodega in the not so nice section of town run by middle eastern folks. My Jewish BFF turned me on to it. She is 82 and from Vienna and she says she was raised on that stuff.
                I saw this in Whole Foods and took a look, thinking of your recommendation. It had a ton of other crap in it, stabilizers and thickeners, I guess. Idk if there's a middle eastern market in my area. I'll have to look. Because a cross between sour cream and cream cheese sounds like something awesome.
                50yo, 5'3"
                SW-195
                CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
                GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Comment

Originally posted by LauraSB View Post
                  I saw this in Whole Foods and took a look, thinking of your recommendation. It had a ton of other crap in it, stabilizers and thickeners, I guess. Idk if there's a middle eastern market in my area. I'll have to look. Because a cross between sour cream and cream cheese sounds like something awesome.
                  The Sprouts in my area have started carrying a brand like that, with al the additives. Blech. The one I get is imported from Lebanon.

Yes it is awesome. It makes cream of <whatever> soups beautifully.

Comment

Does anyone make their own yogurt? I started a while back by getting a small container of full fat organic yogurt and using organic whole milk for my yogurt. It's tastier than anything I've ever had from the store. It's creamy and luscious. Plus you can strain it and reserve the whey to make lacto-fermented things like sauerkraut! It's not very difficult and it's wildly cost effective.
                    I'm a weak man...If I give myself a few feet of leeway, I burst through all of my prohibitions.

Comment

Last edited by Beachgirl; 08-15-2013, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Tesco in the UK carries an excellent creme fraiche - basically natural yoghurt made with thick cream instead of milk.

Comment

Full fat Greek yoghurt is about 10% fat and natural is about 5% fat (at least the stuff I see is)

Though "cup" is a standard volume measure, I would not trust it has not been used as a 'loose term' by the marketing people of each company (different sized cups).

I never look at serving size etc, in Aus they also list 100g nutrient info (eg 9.8g of fat is 9.8% fat).

Comment

Working...
                          X