Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Women...is there a need for potatoes for fertility health?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Women...is there a need for potatoes for fertility health?

How many of you require potatoes or some starch for your menstrual cycle and hormones? Is it possible to have a healthy cycle without starch? Several paleo sites like paleo for women say you need it. Others say you don't. I wish there was a good answer besides more experimentation.

I have no personal experience. I have read some research indicating that fat was important for fertility. But I have never read anything about carbs in that respect.

Comment

I've been under 100 gm carbs for the last 3 years of Primal eating. Regular cycles, and I just turned 50 years old. In fact, all of my perimenopausal symptoms disappeared on Primal. I eat potatoes occasionally, but I feel better on lower carbs.

I do make sure to eat lots of nutrient-dense foods like grass-fed red meat, liver, free-range eggs, wild-caught seafood, and hard cheese as well as bone broth. I eat 60-70% fat from pastured lard, butter and coconut oil as well as fattier cuts of meat.

Making sure my D3 level is on the high end of sufficiency (almost 80 ng/ml) ensures that I have the precursors necessary for hormonal balance. I also supplement krill oil and Magnesium.

Here's a blog post I wrote that may be helpful:

Optimum Fertility ~ Nutrition - Sondra Rose: Happy Mind
      Last edited by Dragonfly; 04-27-2013, 11:26 AM.
      Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
      Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
      Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

I developed amenorrhea after eating essentially zero carb, so in my experience, yes they are needed in at least some amount. My cycle came back after a couple of months of eating at least 1lb of starchy foods (sweet potatoes, rice, etc.) per day.
        Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

Comment

I eat HFLC (I have a brain issue... not saying it's for everyone, but some do very well on it.) and my cycles have become more regular during that time (about a year now)... from VERY irregular, sometimes skipping months, to pretty much normal 28-30 days.
          I'm 40.
          Last edited by cori93437; 04-27-2013, 12:05 PM.
          “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
          ~Friedrich Nietzsche
          And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Originally posted by ombat View Post
            I developed amenorrhea after eating essentially zero carb, so in my experience, yes they are needed in at least some amount. My cycle came back after a couple of months of eating at least 1lb of starchy foods (sweet potatoes, rice, etc.) per day.
            How did you choose to eat a zero carb diet?

Comment

After reading Wheat Belly I went very low carb for about 6 weeks. At first it was fine, but then I became severely depressed. With 2 small kids that each just as I do, this also wasn't very useful. So now I am sure to serve rice or portatoes at least 5x/week. I have much more energy and no longer think about running away from my family. It's crazy how eating a small amount of carbs impacts my mental health so much. Can't say much about fertility... we conceived 2 kids with 3 months of trying total, but that was before I knew about Primal.

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                How did you choose to eat a zero carb diet?
                Attempt at dealing with digestive issues. Caused a few for problems than it helped.
                Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonfly View Post
                  I've been under 100 gm carbs for the last 3 years of Primal eating. Regular cycles, and I just turned 50 years old. In fact, all of my perimenopausal symptoms disappeared on Primal. I eat potatoes occasionally, but I feel better on lower carbs.

I do make sure to eat lots of nutrient-dense foods like grass-fed red meat, liver, free-range 9eggs, wild-caught seafood, and hard cheese as well as bone broth. I eat 60-70% fat from pastured lard, butter and coconut oil as well as fattier cuts of meat.

Making sure my D3 level is on the high end of sufficiency (almost 80 ng/ml) ensures that I have the precursors necessary for hormonal balance. I also supplement krill oil and Magnesium.

Here's a blog post I wrote that may be helpful:

Optimum Fertility ~ Nutrition -Sondra Rose: Happy Mind
                  Thank you! That was helpful. The blog post does mention starches in moderation so I guess you eat bananas and such more often than potatoes? thinking of cycling starches every three days or so because I figure better safe than sorry. I don't feel well eating them every day like some paleo people suggest.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldensparrow View Post
                    Thank you! That was helpful. The blog post does mention starches in moderation so I guess you eat bananas and such more often than potatoes? thinking of cycling starches every three days or so because I figure better safe than sorry. I don't feel well eating them every day like some paleo people suggest.
                    It really depends on your metabolism/activity level.

I eat rice crackers a few times a week (12 g carb per serving) and a banana twice a month, but I am FODMAPS-intolerant, so I don't do any other fruit, sweet potatoes, etc. I do better with sucrose, so dark chocolate is my main carb source.
                    Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
                    Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
                    Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

The last time I menstruated was when I was much higher carb >200g. That was 7 years ago. I have tried to increase my levels since then but start feeling really crummy above ~150g. Right now I am happily sitting around 60-80g (with slightly more on days I run). I'm 5'4.5" 107lbs. I eat potatoes and non gmo organic corn occasionally. Lots of pumpkin, some squash & coconut flour and loads of veggies. When I'm ready to have a baby I may have to try to up my carbs to levels similar to the SAD but until I have to, I feel better this way.

Comment

Meghanner- Does this mean you don't menstruate on a low carb diet?

Comment

Yeah I'm in quite a pickle. I have digestive issues that caused me to do zero carb as well for awhile. Then it turned out to be fodmaps but it was too late. I had lost my cycle and ate SAD to regain it. Right now I want to have a second baby but I'm feeling crummy on a high starch diet and most fruit doesn't sit well with me which leaves me with very low carb or carb cycling perhaps.

I also took my fasting blood sugar this morning and it was 92.....another sign that things aren't going well. I used to be around 70 to 80 before pregnancy.

Comment

Originally posted by Meghanner View Post
                            The last time I menstruated was when I was much higher carb >200g. That was 7 years ago. I have tried to increase my levels since then but start feeling really crummy above ~150g. Right now I am happily sitting around 60-80g (with slightly more on days I run). I'm 5'4.5" 107lbs. I eat potatoes and non gmo organic corn occasionally. Lots of pumpkin, some squash & coconut flour and loads of veggies. When I'm ready to have a baby I may have to try to up my carbs to levels similar to the SAD but until I have to, I feel better this way.
                            How old are you? The older a woman is and the longer she goes without a period, the more likely she is to permanently lose reproductive capability. I read about a woman bodybuilder who, after being on a crazy shredding diet for many years, decided she wanted to conceive. I don't think her periods came back.

I don't think you should wait.

Comment

I don't know if carbohydrates are necessary for menstruation but they're definitely not sufficient -- I lost my cycle as a teenager eating a nearly zero-fat diet.

Comment

Working...
                              X