Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Women...is there a need for potatoes for fertility health?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Meghanner View Post
    The last time I menstruated was when I was much higher carb >200g. That was 7 years ago. I have tried to increase my levels since then but start feeling really crummy above ~150g. Right now I am happily sitting around 60-80g (with slightly more on days I run). I'm 5'4.5" 107lbs. I eat potatoes and non gmo organic corn occasionally. Lots of pumpkin, some squash & coconut flour and loads of veggies. When I'm ready to have a baby I may have to try to up my carbs to levels similar to the SAD but until I have to, I feel better this way.
    Originally posted by sjmc View Post
    I don't know if carbohydrates are necessary for menstruation but they're definitely not sufficient -- I lost my cycle as a teenager eating a nearly zero-fat diet.
    I think it is about the combination of low calories and heavy activity. It is not low carb making anyone infertile. Eskimos have always reproduced just fine on mainly seal meat and blubber.

Comment

By eating healthful carbohydrates (fruits and veggies), you will dramatically decrease the insulin released, which will decrease your body’s message to grow and store fat. By going a step further, eating a small portion of lean protein (grass-fed beef, turkey, chicken, etc.) and fats (avocados, nuts, seeds) along with those carbs, you will in fact be balancing your hormones, which will keep you healthy or move you toward health!

Hormone Balance and Food Combining: How Proteins, Carbs and Fats Affect the Body

found at above site.

Comment

Correct. I don't menstruate for a lot of reasons. I've tried to get it back with little success so far.

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
          How old are you? The older a woman is and the longer she goes without a period, the more likely she is to permanently lose reproductive capability. I read about a woman bodybuilder who, after being on a crazy shredding diet for many years, decided she wanted to conceive. I don't think her periods came back.

I don't think you should wait.
          I am 33yrs old. In the past two years I've dramatically reduced my exercise, increased my calories, tried gaining 10 lbs (made me feel awful). All with no success. I've also been following the great work of Stefani Ruper over at Paleo for Women. I've tried estrogen replacement, acupuncture, stress relief techniques, herbs from my naturopath, again no luck. I see a holistic endocrinologist (been on the wait list for a year!) this Wednesday and am hoping to try bioidentical hormone replacement. If my body is healthy and I'm just not meant to have babies I'm not going to force it or stress about it. There are many ways of becoming a mother. It's okay. That being said, I'm always open to new suggestions!

Comment

Originally posted by Meghanner View Post
            I am 33yrs old. In the past two years I've dramatically reduced my exercise, increased my calories, tried gaining 10 lbs (made me feel awful). All with no success. I've also been following the great work of Stefani Ruper over at Paleo for Women. I've tried estrogen replacement, acupuncture, stress relief techniques, herbs from my naturopath, again no luck. I see a holistic endocrinologist (been on the wait list for a year!) this Wednesday and am hoping to try bioidentical hormone replacement. If my body is healthy and I'm just not meant to have babies I'm not going to force it or stress about it. There are many ways of becoming a mother. It's okay. That being said, I'm always open to new suggestions!
            How is your fat intake? I have read that gymnasts who lose their periods are made to eat egg yolks, and they start menstruating again.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldensparrow View Post
              Yeah I'm in quite a pickle. I have digestive issues that caused me to do zero carb as well for awhile. Then it turned out to be fodmaps but it was too late. I had lost my cycle and ate SAD to regain it. Right now I want to have a second baby but I'm feeling crummy on a high starch diet and most fruit doesn't sit well with me which leaves me with very low carb or carb cycling perhaps.

I also took my fasting blood sugar this morning and it was 92.....another sign that things aren't going well. I used to be around 70 to 80 before pregnancy.
              There are plenty of sugars that are low-no FODMAP and there are easy ways to consume them. Buy a juicer and juice carrots, melons, citrus fruits, pineapples, mangoes, etc. This should be easy on your stomach. You'd probably also tolerate maple syrup and coconut sugar.

What starches are you eating?
              Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

Comment

I think menstruation and fertility problems are usually caused by persistent negative energy balance rather than macro ratios. So if you're not consuming enough calories to support your activity level, you may run into fertility problems regardless of your macros. See, for example, the SHU box: TTC That's a blogger I used to follow (and still do from time to time). She's a runner and definitely not low carb, but she ran a lot and ate very little (based on pictures of the food she posted--I always thought that I could eat 2-4 times the amount of food on her plate). She cut down on her running and gained five pounds and eventually got pregnant.

A friend of mine had similar problems as the blogger above. She didn't get her period after stopping birth control pills. She had success with accupuncture (conceived after 2 months of treatment). You have to find a good accupunturist though. Not all of them know what they're doing.

My journal

Comment

Originally posted by serenity View Post
                  I think menstruation and fertility problems are usually caused by persistent negative energy balance rather than macro ratios. So if you're not consuming enough calories to support your activity level, you may run into fertility problems regardless of your macros.
                  +1 Totally agree, for underweight women. I have seen lots of underweight women play around with their macros with no success. Gain a few pounds and voila!
                  Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
                  Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
                  Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

Working...
                  X