Help me figure out why you like ghee

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me figure out why you like ghee

I can't eat regular butter every day, so mostly I eat coconut oil. I've been interested in ghee. I got a jar at Whole Foods last year. I opened it and tasted it and was surprised that it tasted like shortbread cookies. I was actually worriedly trying to figure out if it had flour in it. I ended up never doing anything much with it. I was reading a blog a few days ago and ended up ordering a ghee from amazon that is supposed to be one of the very best. Got it. Tastes like shortbread cookies. I can't use this on anything. Eggs cooked in oil that tastes like shortbread are disgusting. The only thing I can use it on is popcorn, and I don't eat much of that at all. Is there something wrong with my tastebuds? I know what butter tastes like...I love butter and wish I could eat it more often. An egg cooked in butter is good. Ghee does not taste like butter. What is it you all love about ghee? This weird shortbread taste seems incompatible with almost everything we eat.

I'm not sure. I like butter and haven't had a use for clarified butter since I stopped deep-frying in it.

Comment

Ghee does dont taste like cookies to me...

Comment

Yeah, afraid I can't help you. It definitely doesn't taste like cookies. Try making your own with your favorite butter?
        Depression Lies

Comment

I stopped buying it and use refined coconut oil instead.

Comment

I bought a jar of ghee once and didn't touch it again after opening it and using it one time...it smelled and tasted like rank ass to me. Never had that issue when I made clarified butter myself, though, so who knows. I can't be bothered with the effort, though; coconut oil and bacon fat are just so much easier.
            That said, I don't know that I'd be all that turned off cooking with it tasting like shortbread cookies...I like the subtle bit of sweetness that coconut oil adds to eggs, veg, etc. Obviously this doesn't help you since you've said you just don't like it.
            I suppose you could use it for something dessert like that would be inherently sweet(er) anyway, like roasting pumpkin or apples with it and topping them with cinnamon...?

Comment

Ghee does not smell like cookies to me, maybe I'd like it more if it did!

I'm in the camp of NOT liking how coconut permeates all my foods, since I am not a big fan of the flavor of coconut (though I do love the smell) so I cook almost exclusively with Kerrygold butter. I used to use ghee from whole foods, and while it is nice to cook with I much prefer the flavor of Kerrygold.

My second favorite is olive oil, or whatever fat from the meat I am cooking, if available.
              yay!

Comment

I bought some good organic ghee from my local store. I didn't like it at all, don't think it smelled or tasted like shortbread though, or I would have liked it. I do my own now and love it. You can direct the flavor somewhat, by only clarifying it or cooking it long enough for the milk proteins to turn slightly golden, but not to burning point. Maybe experiment?
                Started Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, and 5' 1", reached goal weight in 5 months.
                Lowest weight 93lbs - too thin. Now stable at around 100lbs much better weight for me at my age.
                Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Comment

Shortbread is made with a lot of butter, so your impression makes a little sense. Ghee is a much better source of vitamins than is coconut oil and affects the final flavour of food much less. I use both among a range of fats. Maybe just use less until you've overcome your initial impression
                  Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

Gee, I don't know if I like it or not yet though I use it off and on for the past few months. The mention of "rank-ass" smell did a ring a bell with me when I have my doubts.

Comment

Originally posted by Sefton View Post
                      Gee, I don't know if I like it or not yet though I use it off and on for the past few months. The mention of "rank-ass" smell did a ring a bell with me when I have my doubts.
                      hehe

ok @ OP: just making sure, have you actually tried cooking with it or are you extrapolating from the shortbready taste of it straight from the jar? if latter, maybe it will be different/better warm. if former, disregard my comment.

Comment

i don't like prepared ghee ,i think it tastes odd. its also more expensive than butter so i make my own.
                        take 1 lb unsalted white butter (i use kerrygold). you can try it with just 1 pack if you want but a small volume is easier to burn
                        Heat a deep (it froths), heavy-bottomed pan (thin pans burn things easier) on a medium flame and put the butter in it. Simmer and allow to melt and then cook. When a froth/ scum appears on the surface of the butter, spoon it off and dispose of it. Keep cooking till all the scum has risen and been removed.
                        Allow to cool then you can filter it. i don't bother now. You can add a pinch of salt if you want but mix well. it lasts for months in the fridge
                        When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
                        27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
                        new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Comment

Oooh. I love ghee, but then it's part of my culture. There's a reason why my grandma's cooking beats everyone else's in richness and flavor, and that's because she never made the switch to vegetable oil when it got popular.

Some tips:
                          It should not smell rank/rancid or anything like that. It just smells like... err... buttery fat? Like a tub of lard or tallow or something. If it smells rancid then it wasn't properly made and still had milk solids left it in it, which in turn go sour/rancid.
                          It doesn't taste great on its own because it's butter-fat without the milk solids, so we never use it "fresh" if that makes sense (so you don't "ghee" a toast) Ghee is basically a cooking fat. Think of it like you would of beef tallow or lard.

My own opinion: it makes everything taste great (a little like butter) but has the benefit of not browning or burning like butter. It's best used when making stews, browning meats, and just general all-purpose cooking. It has mild buttery flavor and adds a fatty richness to food.
                          It's especially delicious when you bake eggplants smothered in the stuff until golden brown, and then simmer them with sliced tomato and lamb to make a delicious stew. The traditional rice version is called makloubeh and you can use either chicken or lamb with it.

Finally, ghee doesn't have huge flavor like butter. With butter you can just tons of butter, some salt, and you've got flavor. No so with ghee. Things will come out bland if you don't season them. It does add a nice fattiness and richness to the food, but you still have to add other things like seasonings to get flavor.
                          My art blog.

Comment

Originally posted by qqemokitty View Post
                            Ghee does not smell like cookies to me, maybe I'd like it more if it did!

I'm in the camp of NOT liking how coconut permeates all my foods, since I am not a big fan of the flavor of coconut (though I do love the smell) so I cook almost exclusively with Kerrygold butter. I used to use ghee from whole foods, and while it is nice to cook with I much prefer the flavor of Kerrygold.

My second favorite is olive oil, or whatever fat from the meat I am cooking, if available.
                            i buy the expeller pressed coconut oil from Tropical Traditions to cook without the coconut flavor and still get the benefits of CO. It doesn't taste like coconut like the virgin CO does.

Comment

Butter chicken is what ghee is for. If you have never had it, it is a delicious Indian dish.
                              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Working...
                              X