Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm desperate for advice.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #91
    I haven't read pages 2-9. But I read the original message. And it sounds a lot like me. Except for the fact that I don't feel bloated after a bowel movement - and they are diarrhea, not hard. I also tried FODMAP, SCD, etc. I didn't seem to matter what "safe food" I ate - I has bloated. I have seen a GI doc and won't go into what her thoughts were as the tests are in the next few weeks. But here is what I have done which is the only thing that has worked. I essentially stopped eating fiber. This has been brutal because I love vegetables. But it has kept the pain at bay. I seem to be ok with just a few grams per meal. More than that, I'm uncomfortable. Here is a usual day:

    BF - farmers cheese (can't be cottage cheese or yogurt for me), 1 serving fried banana chips and 1 serving raisins mixed in.
    L - left overs usually - grilled chicken thighs, burger usually with 2 tbsp mayo and 1 tupperware of strawberries
    D - salad greens, meat, sometimes winter squash or potato with butter, rice cakes sometimes, it varies.

    Doing this for the last few weeks I'm pain free until dinner - I can't restrain myself and usually munch on carrots and then feel a little crappy BUT removing the cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, pumpkin, etc has really made a difference. I don't enjoy eating this way because I miss veggies, but I can at least keep the pain manageable.

    Anyway, good luck.

    Comment


    • #92
      Originally posted by Zach View Post
      Omg, lol. Way to fuck him up again, Neck!

      Dude your just trading in one orthorexic elimination diet for another. Elimination diets do not work because the problem is not a certain food to avoid, the problem is you are ruining your health by eliminating foods!
      Thank you for writing this. I've definitely been orthorexic in the past and I guess in some ways I still am. I don't really like to admit I have fears of food but I really do. Even real, whole natural foods.

      I still think that the SCD intro will be good just because it has structure. I'm also going to stop coconut oil (and all other coconut products). Butter is yummy and far cheaper than coconut oil! I know in it's own right, grass fed butter is a superfood.

      I still don't have any interest in junk food. I had some sweets today and they just taste like chemical fake non-food. I'd much rather eat a load of fruit.

      Thanks for your help. I'm starting to feel part of a "Paleo community" which is boasted throughout out the media as one of the "benefits"... I never had the realisation as much as I do now that I've super restrictive and it;s not helping at all.

      Comment


      • #93
        Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
        What peats a pretty anti-starch the gut should be sterile sorta guy. Thats the only difference in the beginning from what I can tell. Other than relying heavily on egg yolks and bone broth to heal the gut and get easily assimilated nutrition. The good thing about SCD is its progressive. Yes its an elimination diet, but it removes EVERYTHING....then adds stuff back in systematically, and thats what the OP is missing. He's been haphazardly removing and reintroducing without much rhyme or reason. This is an elimination diet with the full intent of reintroducing all the normal food items over time.

        OK so I just read the OP's first post again and it looks like primary complaints for this 22 yo male are mild acne, bloating, and some dark circles under his eyes. So yeah, these could all be associated a bit with orthorexia....except the bloating. That seems to be something he should be able to care for with HCL tabs if some self testing makes it seem necessary. That and a good probiotic may go far.
        Yep, I'm really looking into the SCD diet. It looks quite simple and contains foods I haven't had a lot of in a long time. I like that it's progressive for specific reasons which aren't just plucked out of mid air. It's researched.

        I've definitely been orthorexia in the past and I still am in some ways. This all stemmed from mild acne where after each breakout I cut out another food until now I'm left with very little. Junk food doesn't really please me because it's dead, chemical tasting cardboard.

        Comment


        • #94
          Could you have low stomach acid? perhaps try taking enzymes ( you can get them in tablet form). May help.. worth a try.

          Comment


          • #95
            Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
            Nstocks, you seem really stressed out. How was your health before all of this? Did you have problems with bloating then? Why did you go Primal?

            If you were fine to begin with then I think you should eat all real foods (except maybe wheat). Just reintroduce slowly.

            I am Zach's nodding-in-agreement friend.
            It has all stemmed from orthorexia after trying to clear my mild acne holistically. (and dark circles). Each week (which have now turned to months of 'healthy' eating but years of worrying about it) I cut out more foods because that was the only thing I could control.

            I'm frustrated for sure, but I'm not too stressed. I'm confused too. It pisses me off that I eat all of these amazing foods and I'm no healthier than joe bloggs who chugs down garbage all day. This is probably due to gut issues and not being able to assimilate foods.(leaky gut)

            Pre-paleo I don't really remember feeling great. I remember binging a lot on junk and that was the only exciting part of eating at that time. (and because I didn't have to pay for it - there's an abundance of junk food at home) Throughout out the journey of trying to eat real food, my skin still hasn't been great. I remember cutting out dairy 5 years ago and whilst that helped a little, I feel my problems now are not going to be anything like those causing acne 5 years ago.

            Comment


            • #96
              Originally posted by ombat View Post
              I agree that willy nilly elimination diets are bad. They won't really tell you anything. Trust me.
              I agree that SCD is beneficial for figuring out a few things that really bother you while you try to figure out what's really going on.

              YogaBare is not sure if Zach is her dream or if she is Zach's dream.
              I agree. I love the idea of eating a lot of fruit and cutting out fibrous vegetables but there's not method in working out which to cut out and when. the SCD looks simple and easily doable for me. It's pre-planned and depending on how I feel, I no longer need to focus as much on meal planning myself.

              Comment


              • #97
                Originally posted by Zach View Post
                Neck, the only reason i give the advice i do is because i have seen it work many times on individuals just like him. This is a 22 year old male whi felt better before eating healthy and is wasting his prime years of life trying to regain health with faulty principles.

                Its totally up to him to decide whats next, the only reason i care is because i was just like him at that age and i wish i had listened to the people who were telling me that i was insane for doing such an extreme diet. I know primal is not inherently extreme but you combine that with the other low carb gurus and fear mongering of sugar and it becomes very extreme very fast and all of a sudden you wonder how your health got so bad and what went wrong.
                I hear it quite often at home that my food choices are crazy. I remember eating green smoothies for months and my family though I was a anorexic hippy! They still probably think I'm a hippy but that's cool. I guess people really can find problems with every food out there and with the amount of "less is more" stuff around, it is, like you said, very easy to go to extremes.

                Comment


                • #98
                  Originally posted by lorichka6 View Post
                  I haven't read pages 2-9. But I read the original message. And it sounds a lot like me. Except for the fact that I don't feel bloated after a bowel movement - and they are diarrhea, not hard. I also tried FODMAP, SCD, etc. I didn't seem to matter what "safe food" I ate - I has bloated. I have seen a GI doc and won't go into what her thoughts were as the tests are in the next few weeks. But here is what I have done which is the only thing that has worked. I essentially stopped eating fiber. This has been brutal because I love vegetables. But it has kept the pain at bay. I seem to be ok with just a few grams per meal. More than that, I'm uncomfortable. Here is a usual day:

                  BF - farmers cheese (can't be cottage cheese or yogurt for me), 1 serving fried banana chips and 1 serving raisins mixed in.
                  L - left overs usually - grilled chicken thighs, burger usually with 2 tbsp mayo and 1 tupperware of strawberries
                  D - salad greens, meat, sometimes winter squash or potato with butter, rice cakes sometimes, it varies.

                  Doing this for the last few weeks I'm pain free until dinner - I can't restrain myself and usually munch on carrots and then feel a little crappy BUT removing the cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, pumpkin, etc has really made a difference. I don't enjoy eating this way because I miss veggies, but I can at least keep the pain manageable.

                  Anyway, good luck.
                  FODMAPS are definitely a huge issue for me. They never use to be, I use to eat carrots, cabbage and brocolli at every meal for months on end. (along with fish fingers which is processed fish covered in breadcrumbs). Fibre for me also seems to be an issue. I need to get over my fear os fruit = acne and just eat and enjoy it!

                  I'm going to experiment with dairy but in general I don't care for it. (unless it's cheesecake which I haven't eaten for a long time)

                  Thanks for your post, stay tuned!

                  Comment


                  • #99
                    Originally posted by Coconut View Post
                    Could you have low stomach acid? perhaps try taking enzymes ( you can get them in tablet form). May help.. worth a try.
                    I do have low stomach acid for sure. I'm supplementing with NOW foods super enzymes...

                    Comment


                    • Try betein HCl and ice cream. That combo cures everything.

                      Honestly i think you will find no relief with SCD but good luck anyway. If you ever want to give my advice a try just send me a PM. My advice certainly wasnt plucked out of thin air.

                      Comment


                      • Low HCl will cause problems with everything. Sort that first.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                          Low HCl will cause problems with everything. Sort that first.
                          I had about 60 capsule of 600mg HCl and I tried 8 capsules with no heat. I then reduced it after 3x8sets to 4 capsules.

                          I'm now taking this which contain 200mg HCL amongst some other stuff. Now Foods Super Enzymes, 180 Caps: Amazon.co.uk: Health & Beauty

                          I never feel heat from these items so I'm reluctant to buy more.

                          I also tried the bicardobate of soda test and that didn't make be belch or anything. It made me slightly fuller like FODMAPS do.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Nstocks View Post
                            It has all stemmed from orthorexia after trying to clear my mild acne holistically. (and dark circles). Each week (which have now turned to months of 'healthy' eating but years of worrying about it) I cut out more foods because that was the only thing I could control.

                            I'm frustrated for sure, but I'm not too stressed. I'm confused too. It pisses me off that I eat all of these amazing foods and I'm no healthier than joe bloggs who chugs down garbage all day. This is probably due to gut issues and not being able to assimilate foods.(leaky gut)

                            Pre-paleo I don't really remember feeling great. I remember binging a lot on junk and that was the only exciting part of eating at that time. (and because I didn't have to pay for it - there's an abundance of junk food at home) Throughout out the journey of trying to eat real food, my skin still hasn't been great. I remember cutting out dairy 5 years ago and whilst that helped a little, I feel my problems now are not going to be anything like those causing acne 5 years ago.
                            I feel your pain man. It's pretty frustrating when you keep trying to do things "right" and you feel like it's fucking you up even more. However, you have only been "primal" for five weeks right? And in that time you've been low carb? I see you've decided to try another kind of diet, but personally I think eating a clean diet (no processed food) with moderate amounts of each food group is the option with the least margin of error.

                            Also, how much water do you drink? The "two litres a day" propaganda is flawed, but would be helpful to know how much you're consuming / if you're absorbing it or peeing / sweating it all out. The area under the eyes is related to kidneys (in terms of nervous system).
                            "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

                            In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

                            - Ray Peat

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
                              I feel your pain man. It's pretty frustrating when you keep trying to do things "right" and you feel like it's fucking you up even more. However, you have only been "primal" for five weeks right? And in that time you've been low carb? I see you've decided to try another kind of diet, but personally I think eating a clean diet (no processed food) with moderate amounts of each food group is the option with the least margin of error.

                              Also, how much water do you drink? The "two litres a day" propaganda is flawed, but would be helpful to know how much you're consuming / if you're absorbing it or peeing / sweating it all out. The area under the eyes is related to kidneys (in terms of nervous system).
                              I've been paleo for over 2 years now. I started cutting out all processed foods when I did a candida cleanse. The program was initially for 7 days but I actually did it for over 2 months! After that, grains most processed sugars, all dairy and other foods where not part of my diet. Sure I ate some junky candy now and then but considering how far I had come at that time, I could at least allow some 'bad' foods.

                              I've been modified paleo for 2 months now (so autoimmune paleo) and it's still just not working. I'm starting to connect the dots between going too low carb and not realising it, and the consequence that has had for me personally. I mean, even last year a typical day would be a green smoothie (with berries), salad and fish for lunch and dinner would be chicken or salmon with salad or sweet potato. I've actually only started to eat meat in this past year and perhaps I've been overdoing that? Some weeks it would be red meat at all but two meals! (which cost a lot too)

                              I'd say I drink as much tea as I drink water. Each mug of tea is 500ml and I easily drink 3 of those a day. Then between meals I'd drink probably 3 pints of water. Sometimes its less sometimes its more tea and less water. I pass water fairly often but I don't sweat at all. Like nothing. Even when I had a cold last year (which doesn't happen every year), I took a bath of epson salts and ginger which is suppose to make you sweat tremendously but I never did.

                              I've definitely heard that dark circles are kidney related too. Last time I went to the doctors he asked if I drink (I don't) and they just looked into my eyes. After that he just said "You are fine".

                              A natural practitioner also suggested this to me one year ago: "One of the causal factors is also the way in which iron is processed by the body leading to iron metabolites that accumulate around the delicate area. There is a genetic link for this concern though often anaemia, iron deficiency, could be a problem. Poor liver function is another possibility but in both cases tests will have to be performed."

                              My blood tests were fine and the Doc still didn't see that I had any problems. He also had me lay down and felt my stomach for organ size and there were fine too. Not that it's related but I had a hernia about 10 years ago. Not sure what the 'part' was that they needed to operate but the scar line is just below my underwear line.

                              Comment


                              • Another big sign of hypo is not sweating and urinating a lot. Drop the amount of water/tea you drink and concentrate on the juice/fruit for liquids.

                                So you were a vegetarian before paleo?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X