Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ketosis Log: Join me

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by dob View Post
    Alright Paloebird. I finally made your pate recipe and can't wait to try it with my lunch and dinner today. I didn't have any herb's and spices, which will make a difference. I also used the liver I froze from last week, so it's not a fresh as I'd like it to be....fresh liver is a must. Guess this is just a process of learning. Thank you!!!

    I attached a pic the nutritional content that I created in my calorie counting program. The recipe is named in honor of you. Thought you'd get a kick out of it.

    [ATTACH]11742[/ATTACH]

    BTW, how has reducing your meds been going? I'm slowly going through your second journal, around pg 11. I like how you're using different sources of meat to fill your nutritional needs. Fascinating. Great stuff. I love the experiment.

    You could write a book so easily with your experiences, recipes, and your thought process behind your recipes. I read one of your posts where you're using bone broth as a base for a recipe (sorry can't recall it exactly) and you made a curry as well. So I thought what a great idea to use the bone broth and mix curry powder to make a sauce. Yummy and finally something a little different from my ground beef and salad.

    Anyways, hope you're doing well.
    Doing fine, thank you. I can't see the attachment yet but I am honored to have it named after me. Every batch of pate' gets better. And never be afraid to err on the side of adding more fat.

    The meds are holding steady at 25% down with no seizure problems. I'm going to hold there a while and then maybe reduce the dose a bit more.
    I'm doing this milk thing right now just for the sake of experimentation. I don't know if this is going to be great or get tossed on the scrapheap of ideas found on the internet that weren't that great IRL. We shall see. The carb content of it is higher than I would normally eat but I think the low level of overall calories is keeping me in ketosis.

    I just ordered some more exotic meats like yak and camel and alligator. It is fun to mix it up.
    I use bone broth as the basis of a lot of my recipes and use it as a fat/moisture source to cook things like steaks in. That curry sounds delicious.
    No plans to write another book. I'm already in the process of writing two separate novels which may or may not ever get published. It's a fun process.

    Comment


    • Day 30 - Wow, I can't believe it's been 30 days of tracking. I'll have my entire 30 day results in a separate post.

      May 19, 2013

      Measurements: 7:20 am

      Weight: 203.2
      Ketones: 2.6
      Glucose: 87

      Workout: 9:30 am

      I'm switching from HIT to free weights for the next 12 months to gain strength. I will continue to utilize the principles of HIT because it promotes safety first with proper form, slow movement, and lifting till failure. I think these concepts can be transferred to free weights.

      Today's workout was exhausting and long. The lunges with 105 lbs is kicking my ass and I'm going to be feeling it. I'm using a lunge instead of squats because I lack the equipment. I wanted to do a full body workout, but when I tried dead lifting, I just couldn't handle it. I can't wait to join a gym so I can begin a new strength training program and with proper equipment.



      Lunch: 1:30 pm

      8 oz 80% Grass Fed Beef, 2 Free Range Eggs, 2.5 oz Avocado, 1 cup Bone Broth, 15 g Scallion, 10 g Parsley, 10 g Basil, 19 g Onion, 1 Garlic Clove, 1.5 Tsp Curry Powder, 2 Tbsp EVCO, 2 Brazil Nuts, 1 Tsp Fish Oil

      Calories:1,323
      Fats:109
      Protein: 66
      Carbs: 19.5 (6.5 net carbs)


      Dinner: 4:30 pm

      6.5 oz Free Range Chicken Thigh, 4.85 oz Mixed Green Salad, 2 Tbsp Olive Oil and EVCO, 1.25 oz Top Round Grass Fed Beef Jerkey, 2 Tbsp Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice, 1 Tsp Fish Oil

      Calories: 830
      Fats: 75
      Protein: 46
      Carbs: 3.6 (2.6 net carb)

      Totals:

      Calories:2,205
      Fats: 185 (75.5%)
      Protein: 112 (20.3%)
      Carbs: 23 (4.2%)
      Nutritional Ketosis Journal - http://dobnk.blogspot.com/ and http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread83999.html

      Comment


      • Day 1-30 results. Here is the link: Ketosis Experiment: Day 1-30 Results with Charts and Graphs (oooh!)
        Nutritional Ketosis Journal - http://dobnk.blogspot.com/ and http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread83999.html

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
          Doing fine, thank you. I can't see the attachment yet but I am honored to have it named after me. Every batch of pate' gets better. And never be afraid to err on the side of adding more fat.

          The meds are holding steady at 25% down with no seizure problems. I'm going to hold there a while and then maybe reduce the dose a bit more.
          I'm doing this milk thing right now just for the sake of experimentation. I don't know if this is going to be great or get tossed on the scrapheap of ideas found on the internet that weren't that great IRL. We shall see. The carb content of it is higher than I would normally eat but I think the low level of overall calories is keeping me in ketosis.

          I just ordered some more exotic meats like yak and camel and alligator. It is fun to mix it up.
          I use bone broth as the basis of a lot of my recipes and use it as a fat/moisture source to cook things like steaks in. That curry sounds delicious.
          No plans to write another book. I'm already in the process of writing two separate novels which may or may not ever get published. It's a fun process.
          Well you deserve all the credit for sharing your recipes and helping others out. I like that you're a positive force on these forums.

          Good luck with the milk thing. I love all things dairy, but I think the asian side of my genes are kicking in as I get older. I'm wondering if taking probiotics and enzymes can help with tolerating dairy.

          I feel like you should be on Anthony Bourdain's show. I just saw the episode where he was in Libya and they were eating camel. And after you had mentioned eating offal, there was an episode in the quebec region of canada where restaurants were serving up heart, kidneys, horse meat, etc. What a coincidence. Canadians eat from head to tail.

          Glad to hear you're well. Take care
          Nutritional Ketosis Journal - http://dobnk.blogspot.com/ and http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread83999.html

          Comment


          • Splunky, how have you been?
            Nutritional Ketosis Journal - http://dobnk.blogspot.com/ and http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread83999.html

            Comment


            • marissa checking in with you. How have you been?
              Nutritional Ketosis Journal - http://dobnk.blogspot.com/ and http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread83999.html

              Comment


              • Day 31

                Measurements: 6:45 AM
                Weight 205.4
                Ketones: 3.2
                Glucose: 87
                Nutritional Ketosis Journal - http://dobnk.blogspot.com/ and http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread83999.html

                Comment


                • Lunch: 12:30 pm

                  4 oz 80% Grass Fed Beef, 2 oz GF Round Roast Beef Jerky, 1 cup Bone Broth, 3 oz Kale, 15 grams Parsley, 2 Tbsp EVCO, 1 Tsp Fish Oil, 2 Brazil Nuts

                  Calories: 819
                  Fats: 68
                  Protein: 45
                  Carbs: 6.9 (5 net carbs)

                  Dinner: 5.30 pm

                  8 oz 80% GF Beef, 2 oz GF Round Roast Beef Jerky, 2 oz Kale, 1.5 Tbsp EVCO, 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice 1 tsp Fish Oil,

                  Calories: 887
                  Fats: 72
                  Protein: 54
                  Carbs: 5.7 (4.6 net carbs)



                  Totals:

                  Calories: 1.716
                  Fats: 142 (74.5%)
                  Protein: 97 (22.6%)
                  Carbs: 12.6 (2.9%)
                  Nutritional Ketosis Journal - http://dobnk.blogspot.com/ and http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread83999.html

                  Comment


                  • Day 31 - May 21, 2013

                    Measurements: 6:30AM

                    Weight 203.8
                    Ketones: 2.9
                    Glucose:100

                    Gradually increasing my protein intake has allowed me to stay in ketosis. I also think staying in ketosis is a result of caloric cycling and very low carb intake.
                    Nutritional Ketosis Journal - http://dobnk.blogspot.com/ and http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread83999.html

                    Comment


                    • 7:00 am Yoga 30 minutes. I haven't joined a gym yet and my legs are still sore. I figured yoga would help stretch my muscles a bit and get my heart rate elevated a bit.

                      Yesterday, I was wondering why I gained weight after a hard workout on Sunday. I did a search on the internet to discover numerous articles and forum posts stating that after resistance training, your body retains water as a mechanism to heal your muscles, which mad sense. On Sunday I had a hard workout (still sore), and the following day gained weight. I also reviewed my 30 day log, which showed that I had a slight gain in weight after each workout. Learn something new everyday.

                      Lunch: 2:00 pm

                      8 oz 80% GF Beef, 2 oz GF Round Beef Jerkey, 3.5 oz Mixed Green Salad, 2.5 oz Avocado, 1 Tbsp Olive Oil, 1 Tbsp ACV, 2 Brazil Nuts, 1 Fish Oil

                      Calories: 1,008
                      Fats: 84
                      Protein: 54
                      Carbs: 9.1 (2.7 net carbs)

                      Dinner: 5:00 pm

                      3 oz Free Range Chicken Thigh, 3 Free Range Eggs, 1 cup Bone Broth, 1.95 oz Kale, 4 Tbsp EVCO, 1 Tsp Fish Oil

                      Calories: 980
                      Fats: 86
                      Protein: 46
                      Carbs: 5.6


                      Totals:
                      Calories: 1,988
                      Fats: 170 (76.9%)
                      Protein: 100 (20.1%)
                      Carbs: 14.7 (3%)
                      Last edited by dob; 05-22-2013, 07:36 AM.
                      Nutritional Ketosis Journal - http://dobnk.blogspot.com/ and http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread83999.html

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by dob View Post
                        marissa checking in with you. How have you been?
                        Awww, thanks so much for asking about me. I've been turned upside down for the last several days, ever since Friday night. I binged on Friday, Saturday and Sunday night. Yesterday I didn't binge, thank goodness, but didn't eat keto, or even primal for that matter. Had some SAD foods, but at least didn't binge so that is progress. So I'm starting fresh today, I know I can do this, I just have to get past the first few days till I get into ketosis, and then I know the cravings and appetite will go down. So I just need to hold out for that.....I can do it!!!

                        I see you are still seeing steady weight loss, that is just wonderful news!!! Congrats to you!

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by dob View Post
                          7:00 am Yoga 30 minutes. I haven't joined a gym yet and my legs are still sore. I figured yoga would help stretch my muscles a bit and get my heart rate elevated a bit.

                          Yesterday, I was wondering why I gained weight after a hard workout on Sunday. I did a search on the internet to discover numerous articles and forum posts stating that after resistance training, your body retains water as a mechanism to heal your muscles, which mad sense. On Sunday I had a hard workout (still sore), and the following day gained weight. I also reviewed my 30 day log, which showed that I had a slight gain in weight after each workout. Learn something new everyday.
                          This happens to me as well. Can be disconcerting when you see the number on the scale go up, but at least you know why it's happening now. And usually the more sore I am, the more water I retain. That's why when I first start a workout, my clothes seem to feel tighter for the first couple weeks. It's frustrating, but at least it isn't real weight gain.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by MarissaLinnea View Post
                            Awww, thanks so much for asking about me. I've been turned upside down for the last several days, ever since Friday night. I binged on Friday, Saturday and Sunday night. Yesterday I didn't binge, thank goodness, but didn't eat keto, or even primal for that matter. Had some SAD foods, but at least didn't binge so that is progress. So I'm starting fresh today, I know I can do this, I just have to get past the first few days till I get into ketosis, and then I know the cravings and appetite will go down. So I just need to hold out for that.....I can do it!!!

                            I see you are still seeing steady weight loss, that is just wonderful news!!! Congrats to you!

                            Glad to hear from you and that you're back on track. It may be a good that you're going in and out of ketosis and you're body will eventually adapt. I think if you stick it out for the first month it will be easier.

                            The weight loss is just one indicator of reaching my goal, which is to lose this belly fat. I'm hoping my adjustments are going to pay off. I think I'm at the height of my protein in take and now it's just finding that balance where I can maintain my lean body mass and lose the fat.
                            Nutritional Ketosis Journal - http://dobnk.blogspot.com/ and http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread83999.html

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by MarissaLinnea View Post
                              This happens to me as well. Can be disconcerting when you see the number on the scale go up, but at least you know why it's happening now. And usually the more sore I am, the more water I retain. That's why when I first start a workout, my clothes seem to feel tighter for the first couple weeks. It's frustrating, but at least it isn't real weight gain.
                              I found it great to be able to read why I had such large fluctuctuation in weight after a workout, but it made perfect sense and the patterns I saw in my chart confirmed it all.
                              Nutritional Ketosis Journal - http://dobnk.blogspot.com/ and http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread83999.html

                              Comment


                              • Day 33 - May 22, 2013

                                Measurements: 7:15 AM

                                Weight 204.6
                                Ketones: 2.7
                                Glucose: 77

                                Lunch: 12:30 pm

                                8 oz Novy Ranch 80% GF Beef, 4 oz Mixed Green Salad, 43 g Avocado, 1 Cup Bone Broth, 1 Tbsp EVOO, 2 Tbsp Fresh Lemon Juice, 2 Brazil Nuts, 1 Tsp Fish Oil

                                Calories:934
                                Fats:78
                                Protein: 51
                                Carbs: 7 (3 net carbs)
                                Dinner:4:30 pm

                                8 Oz Novy GF 80% Beef, 5 oz Mixed Green Salad, 1.5 Oz GF Beef Jerky, 2 Tbsp Fresh Lemon Juice, 1 Tbsp EVOO, 1 Tsp Fish Oil

                                Calories:660
                                Fats:50
                                Protein: 48
                                Carbs:4.4 (3.4 net carbs)


                                Totals:
                                Calories:1,602
                                Fats: 129 (72.4%)
                                Protein: 99 (24.7%)
                                Carbs: 11.4 (2.8%)
                                Last edited by dob; 05-23-2013, 06:50 AM.
                                Nutritional Ketosis Journal - http://dobnk.blogspot.com/ and http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread83999.html

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X