Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Added fiber to rid body of excess hormones?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Added fiber to rid body of excess hormones?

I know in general, fiber is not an issue for the paleo lifestyle. As far as general digestion there is plenty from the fruits and veggies and tubers. In Sara Gottfried's new book The Hormone Cure she recommends women get 35 - 45 grams of fiber per day from diet and medicinal supplement. Her reason is regarding excess estrogen. She says," more dietary fiber increases conjugation - that is, more fiber lowers estrogen levels in the body - and you poop and pee more estrogen out of your system."

She also says regarding PCOS, "Unless you have sufficient fiber to remove it, most testosterone is secreted into bile and then reabsorbed in the gut and used again. Fiber increases excretion of testosterone in the stool."

Both of these seem compelling for me since I have both Endo and PCOS.
    Looking at the amount of fiber I get from greens, veggies and fruit I am not getting close to that amount so would need a supplement. Do you agree that this would be beneficial and if so, what kind of supplement would you recommend? gluten free rice bran, oat bran? Thanks for your thoughts on this.
    Favorite Mark Quote: "I train to play."

June 2010: 168.6 -size 16
    Current: 155 - size 10/12
    Goal:135 - size 8

My Journal

I have not heard this before. Did she list references?

Comment

Ray Peat suggests a carrot salad daily to remove excess estrogen. Just shred a few carrots, add a bit of coconut oil, vinigar and salt.

Comment

She references a number of studies that link a higher fiber diet with lower breast cancer risk. Studies titled "Fat/fiber intakes and sex hormones in healthy premenopausal women in USA"
        " Effect of daily fiber intake on reproductive function: the BioCycle Study"
        "The effects of low-fat/high fiber diet on sex hormone levels and menstrual cycling in premenopausal women: a 12-month randomized trial (the Diet and Hormone Study)
        Last edited by Momto3; 04-25-2013, 11:11 AM.

My Journal

Comment

Hopefully not psyllium fiber supplements.

Comment

Yes insoluble fiber supplements are a bad idea. Just eat more veg and fruit.

Comment

Raw coconut is full of fiber. Also unpeeled cacao beans.

Comment

I have been taking acacia powder to help with IBS symptoms. It's a soluble fiber. Supposed to be a prebiotic. It's been helpful. 1 TB is 6g of fiber. No, I will stay away from psyllium husk. The carrot salad info looks interesting.

My Journal

Comment

Ok, looking at one of the studies she references.... the conclusion concerns me a bit....and confuses. It decreases serum hormones, but increases the probability of not ovulating? How is that helpful??

Effect of daily fiber intake on reproductive function: the BioCycle Study.
                  Gaskins AJ, Mumford SL, Zhang C, Wactawski-Wende J, Hovey KM, Whitcomb BW, Howards PP, Perkins NJ, Yeung E, Schisterman EF; BioCycle Study Group.
                  Source
                  Division of Epidemiology, Statistics, and Prevention Research, Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, Bethesda, MD, USA.
                  Abstract
                  BACKGROUND:
                  High-fiber diets have been associated with decreased breast cancer risk, likely mediated by the effect of fiber on lowering circulating estrogen concentrations. The influence of fiber on aspects of reproduction, which include ovulation, has not been well studied in premenopausal women.
                  OBJECTIVE:
                  The objective was to determine if fiber consumption is associated with hormone concentrations and incident anovulation in healthy, regularly menstruating women.
                  DESIGN:
                  The BioCycle Study was a prospective cohort study conducted from 2004 to 2006 that followed 250 women aged 18-44 y for 2 cycles. Dietary fiber consumption was assessed < or =4 times/cycle by using 24-h recall. Outcomes included concentrations of estradiol, progesterone, luteinizing hormone (LH), and follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH), which were measured < or =8 times/cycle, and incident anovulation.
                  RESULTS:
                  Dietary fiber consumption was inversely associated with hormone concentrations (estradiol, progesterone, LH, and FSH; P < 0.05) and positively associated with the risk of anovulation (P = 0.003) by using random-effects models with adjustment for total calories, age, race, and vitamin E intake. Each 5-g/d increase in total fiber intake was associated with a 1.78-fold increased risk (95% CI: 1.11, 2.84) of an anovulatory cycle. The adjusted odds ratio of 5 g fruit fiber/d was 3.05 (95% CI: 1.07, 8.71).
                  CONCLUSIONS:
                  These findings suggest that a diet high in fiber is significantly associated with decreased hormone concentrations and a higher probability of anovulation. Further study of the effect of fiber on reproductive health and of the effect of these intakes in reproductive-aged women is warranted.

My Journal

Comment

I don't read a lot of studies myself. From the blogs I read, it is clear that the results of many studies are misrepresented by the researchers in order to turn out a favorable press release. And then the media just prints their press release without even examining the paper.

Comment

I quickly read this link: Estrogen dominance syndrome

Points of note:

Diseases or problems that are thought to be related to or affected by excess estrogen and deficient progesterone in women are:

Weight gain secondary to insulin resistance.

If a high fat, low fiber diet aids in improved insulin sensitivity, and the byproduct is fat/weight loss, then wouldn't the actual amount of fiber be irrelevant?

Causes of estrogen dominance syndrome

Besides the natural hormonal fluctuations of menopause, certain lifestyle choices and conditions can also contribute to estrogen dominance syndrome, especially a low-fiber diet, overloading the liver with internal toxins, and absorbing toxins from the environment.

Low-fiber diet

A low-fiber diet causes estrogen levels to be higher, while a diet high in fiber results in decreased estrogen levels in the bloodstream. Why? Excess estrogen is excreted in the bowel. When stool remains in the bowel for a longer time, as in constipation, the estrogen is reabsorbed. Studies have shown that women on a high-fiber diet have lower levels of circulating estrogen. Lower levels of estrogen mean less estrogen stimulation of breast tissue, for example, which reduces the risk of breast cancer.

It doesn't mention whether they eat a healthy, real foods, natural low-fiber diet, or a CW low-fiber diet. I'd guess that as long as you're pooping adequately to remove excess estrogen, the amount of fiber you consume is irrelevant.
                      Sandra
                      *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

The only reason higher fiber diets are "associated with" lower levels of estrogen is because salads and broccoli tend to make you less fat than pizza and beer. It is the fat cells that are the problem. They create excess estrogen. The whole pooping process, as long as it is moving along well, is irrelevant.

Source : My oncologist telling me to lose weight after breast cancer to prevent a recurrence.

Comment

lowering estrogen levels:

1. Take supplemental iodine. Very important

2. avoid xeno-estrogens found in laundry detergent, dish detergent, cosmetics, shampoo.

3. avoid phyto estrogens found in unfermented soy products such as tofu

4. if need be, supplement with topical progesterone (Progesterelle is a brand that has only human-molecule progesterone in oil, nothing else.)

5. avoid eating food from plastic, heating food in plastic, saving food with plastic wrap, drinking out of plastic...

Comment

Thank you. This makes sense. My pooping is adequate and transit time is not a problem. Thanks for the input. Having been Primal for three years my insulin is in check. I am getting closer and closer to healing. I was just treated for H Pylori so I'm in the rebuilding my gut flora mode. I am feeling better than I have in a long, long time. The next thing to address is my high cortisol. I'm thinking, as I look back at my health history, a gluten sensitivity from early on may have been the beginning of digestion issues-gut dysbiosis-leaky gut-hormone imbalance-endometriosis-PCOS-hyperplasia...... I am just trying to read up on what I can do to help balance the hormones. Hopefully through healing my gut, the hormones will begin to communicate better.

My Journal

Comment

Originally posted by richard View Post
                              1. Take supplemental iodine. Very important
                              2. avoid xeno-estrogens found in laundry detergent, dish detergent, cosmetics, shampoo.
                              3. avoid phyto estrogens found in unfermented soy products such as tofu
                              4. if need be, supplement with topical progesterone (Progesterelle is a brand that has only human-molecule progesterone in oil, nothing else.)
                              5. avoid eating food from plastic, heating food in plastic, saving food with plastic wrap, drinking out of plastic...
                              I agree with 2, 3, and 5 wholeheartedly. Iodine can be helpful but I would suggest natural sources of it such as sea veggies and shellfish as the concentrated supplements can easily go overboard in the other direction to being toxic. I would argue against any topical hormones unless directed to by a VERY trusted doctor.

Originally posted by Momto3 View Post
                              Thank you. This makes sense. My pooping is adequate and transit time is not a problem. Thanks for the input. Having been Primal for three years my insulin is in check. I am getting closer and closer to healing. I was just treated for H Pylori so I'm in the rebuilding my gut flora mode. I am feeling better than I have in a long, long time. The next thing to address is my high cortisol. I'm thinking, as I look back at my health history, a gluten sensitivity from early on may have been the beginning of digestion issues-gut dysbiosis-leaky gut-hormone imbalance-endometriosis-PCOS-hyperplasia...... I am just trying to read up on what I can do to help balance the hormones. Hopefully through healing my gut, the hormones will begin to communicate better.
                              Yes, balancing the hormones naturally is the way to go. The GAPS protocol can help as can the Gutsense website in getting the guts sorted out.

Comment

Working...
                              X