No announcement yet.

Lets get serious about body fat - 4 weeks Steak and eggs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow Fynn fantastic results, congrats! 16 lbs. in 30 days is remarkable and your measurement changes are outstanding. Very motivating for many people I am sure.
    Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

Comment

• Originally posted by Fynn View Post
      Ok numbers are in. This has been a great experience. I plan on continuing for two more weeks.
      WOW.... what a change!!! Congrats and I'm glad you're still doing this for another 2 weeks with me.
      ------
      HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

• Originally posted by canuck416 View Post
        Wow Fynn fantastic results, congrats! 16 lbs. in 30 days is remarkable and your measurement changes are outstanding. Very motivating for many people I am sure.
        +1 Awesome work Fynn!
        If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
        If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

• I hate to be a downer but I'm out. The wife decided that this was not fun (it really affected her mood and energy levels) and if she ain't happy, I ain't happy, so I am officially off steak and eggs. I know that we could eat separate diets, and I could continue S&E, but that requires extra time that I don't have to spend in the kitchen.

On a side note, I received Starting Strength Vol. 3 on Friday and I've been tearing through it. I've gained a lot of confidence practicing my squat form at home, so this week I am going to finally start Lifting Heavy Things at the gym. I am going to be eating a ton of food trying to put on some size (currently a wraithish 6'2"ish 160lbs), so I'll be back to this thread in the future to cut down the inevitable fat gain.

Anyway, it sucks to flake out. Keep up the good work!
          The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

Comment

• Originally posted by aliphian View Post
            I hate to be a downer but I'm out. The wife decided that this was not fun (it really affected her mood and energy levels) and if she ain't happy, I ain't happy, so I am officially off steak and eggs. I know that we could eat separate diets, and I could continue S&E, but that requires extra time that I don't have to spend in the kitchen.

On a side note, I received Starting Strength Vol. 3 on Friday and I've been tearing through it. I've gained a lot of confidence practicing my squat form at home, so this week I am going to finally start Lifting Heavy Things at the gym. I am going to be eating a ton of food trying to put on some size (currently a wraithish 6'2"ish 160lbs), so I'll be back to this thread in the future to cut down the inevitable fat gain.

Anyway, it sucks to flake out. Keep up the good work!
            No problem aliphian, totally understand your situation. Thanks for contributing, your experience is just as valuable as everyone else's. Learning how following such a strict diet impacts our relationships is as important as learning how the diet impacts each of us. Thanks for participating!

Comment

• Trying to add IF and calorie cycling into this week's S&E challenge. Will report on results.

S&E is infinitely easier week 3 than it was week 1....no more fatigue for eggs and very little straying outside of beef/lamb and eggs territory.

I'm not sure if S&E is making me lose weight despite a caloric deficit but it sure has helped my strength gains at the gym. I haven't lost much weight at all but I've been lifting a LOT more everywhere. I guess all that meat is helping me build muscles! Beef is magical.
              ------
              HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

• Originally posted by turquoisepassion View Post
                Trying to add IF and calorie cycling into this week's S&E challenge. Will report on results.

S&E is infinitely easier week 3 than it was week 1....no more fatigue for eggs and very little straying outside of beef/lamb and eggs territory.

I'm not sure if S&E is making me lose weight despite a caloric deficit but it sure has helped my strength gains at the gym. I haven't lost much weight at all but I've been lifting a LOT more everywhere. I guess all that meat is helping me build muscles! Beef is magical.
                I had the same results, actually ended up gaining a few lbs. of overall weight even though my fat% went down. I was constantly doing IF since I only eat twice a day - lunch and dinner as prescribed in the original old school S&E concept I was following.

Comment

• Originally posted by canuck416 View Post
                  I had the same results, actually ended up gaining a few lbs. of overall weight even though my fat% went down. I was constantly doing IF since I only eat twice a day - lunch and dinner as prescribed in the original old school S&E concept I was following.
                  I have been doing daily IF in that fashion (lunch+dinner) ...plus now adding in 23/24 hr fasting on 2-3 of the days for calorie cycling. On the higher calorie days I will continue to only have lunch + dinner and try to have 1000ish calories (tons of unsalted butter) per meal. Hopefully this works to cut body fat a bit more efficiently. My body loves to gain muscle and hate losing body fat.
                  ------

Comment

• Back on the S&E again. The three days off didn't do much damage, just up half a pound. Then again I didn't go too crazy. A couple drinks on Saturday, some pistachios on Sunday (chicken both nights for dinner), and a roast with three sweet potatoes Monday.

Comment

• I would love to try this out though I have one question. I train MMA Tuesday's and Thursday's. Would I still eat just the two meals and consume no carbs even on training days?

Comment

• My gym finally reopened after remodeling, here are the results of the steak & eggs experiment.

The purpose - Lose the last stubborn body fat.

The program - Steak, eggs, greens, butter. One refeed meal per week consisting of more steak and eggs, potatoes, veggies and heavy cream. Calorie deficit of about 30%. Less than 30g net carbs per day. Workout 8x8 sets for 45 min daily (see below). Did it for 5 weeks.

The results - Electrode body composition analysis: Body fat down to 14.5% from 16.4%, lost 4lbs of pure fat! Waist shrunk by 3/4 inch, flat stomach. However muscle down 1lb and water down 2lbs. Total = 7lbs down.

The muscle loss doesn't surprise me; was stuck in hotel gyms for 2wks, jet lagged twice, returned to find my gym closed for 1.5wks, so the majority of the month was screwed as hell, far as workouts. Last 1.5wks didn't take my workout drink which contains creatine, which explains the water loss. Today in the gym was noticeably weaker, feeling about 90% on the lifts. Of course the calorie deficit was large, but I actually think I could have lost fat while maintaining muscle if I had done consistent lifting.

Thoughts - I liked it. Steak, eggs and butter never seems to get old. Also I was amazed at the lack of hunger even down at 1300 calories a day. Guess I'd never been in that serious of ketosis; no sensation of hunger, and plenty of energy. After about 5-6 days of 30 net carbs I start to get irritable, one meal of potatoes resets me for a week. It was a learning experience, I'll definitely do steak & eggs any time I want to lean up in the future.

Going forward - another month of steak and eggs! This time increasing calories to a surplus by adding glasses of heavy cream & eggs. In the gym going to do heavier 6x6 sets. Goal is 12% body fat by the end of the summer, and maintain or slightly build muscle.

One experiment I want to conduct: how high can I go on steak & egg calories before I start adding fat? I feel like I could eat a ton, or at least 2800 (maintenance is 2000) without it triggering fat accumulation, but am going to test it!

Comment

• Originally posted by redzeoranger View Post
                          I would love to try this out though I have one question. I train MMA Tuesday's and Thursday's. Would I still eat just the two meals and consume no carbs even on training days?
                          I'd say that you will see a drop in your capacity for intense training such as MMA. So unless you're going to concentrate on more technical aspects, rather than balls to the wall rolling, bag work or sparring, I'd recommend a couple of refeed days a week.

Have a play with timing to see what works better for you, the day before/same day as but before you train MMA, so your glycogen stores are topped off giving you more gas in your tank, or using the MMA as an high intensity session to fully deplete your glycogen stores and refeed afterwards.

Enjoy the experiment! I'm looking forward to getting back into it in a few weeks 😄
                          If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
                          If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

• The adventure continues...

Steak and not Eggs

ImageUploadedByMarks Daily Apple Forum1370419627.051251.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by KimchiNinja View Post
                              My gym finally reopened after remodeling, here are the results of the steak & eggs experiment.

The purpose - Lose the last stubborn body fat.

The program - Steak, eggs, greens, butter. One refeed meal per week consisting of more steak and eggs, potatoes, veggies and heavy cream. Calorie deficit of about 30%. Less than 30g net carbs per day. Workout 8x8 sets for 45 min daily (see below). Did it for 5 weeks.

The results - Electrode body composition analysis: Body fat down to 14.5% from 16.4%, lost 4lbs of pure fat! Waist shrunk by 3/4 inch, flat stomach. However muscle down 1lb and water down 2lbs. Total = 7lbs down.

The muscle loss doesn't surprise me; was stuck in hotel gyms for 2wks, jet lagged twice, returned to find my gym closed for 1.5wks, so the majority of the month was screwed as hell, far as workouts. Last 1.5wks didn't take my workout drink which contains creatine, which explains the water loss. Today in the gym was noticeably weaker, feeling about 90% on the lifts. Of course the calorie deficit was large, but I actually think I could have lost fat while maintaining muscle if I had done consistent lifting.

Thoughts - I liked it. Steak, eggs and butter never seems to get old. Also I was amazed at the lack of hunger even down at 1300 calories a day. Guess I'd never been in that serious of ketosis; no sensation of hunger, and plenty of energy. After about 5-6 days of 30 net carbs I start to get irritable, one meal of potatoes resets me for a week. It was a learning experience, I'll definitely do steak & eggs any time I want to lean up in the future.

Going forward - another month of steak and eggs! This time increasing calories to a surplus by adding glasses of heavy cream & eggs. In the gym going to do heavier 6x6 sets. Goal is 12% body fat by the end of the summer, and maintain or slightly build muscle.

One experiment I want to conduct: how high can I go on steak & egg calories before I start adding fat? I feel like I could eat a ton, or at least 2800 (maintenance is 2000) without it triggering fat accumulation, but am going to test it!
                              Awesome report and results! Thanks so much for your update. Wishing you much success in your next 4 weeks. Really looking forward to hearing your results.

Comment

• Originally posted by redzeoranger View Post
                                I would love to try this out though I have one question. I train MMA Tuesday's and Thursday's. Would I still eat just the two meals and consume no carbs even on training days?
                                I agree with Misabi's advice regarding the increase to two refeed days. Keep in mind this is an experiment for each of us and we will all react a bit differently and depending on our training styles may need to adjust the refeeds somewhat. However, the old school body builders certainly trained with extreme intensity while on the steak and eggs diets and got great results but their workouts generally were short and intense, about an hour long. Typically they did split routines 6 Days a week with Sunday being their rest and reefed day.

Comment

Working...
                                X