Lets get serious about body fat - 4 weeks Steak and eggs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finished! Here are the results.

Body Fat % went from 13.8% down to 12.2 % - caliper assessment by exercise physiologist, then went down to SF and got the Scan to confirm

Weight 173 - Gained 6 lbs. muscle - lost 4 lbs. fat
    Shoulders - Gained 1 1/2 inches
    Chest - Gained 1 1/2 inches
    Waist - Lost 1 1/4 inches
    Arms - Gained 1 inch
    Thighs - Gained 1 inch

Overall fairly satisfied, by staying calorie positive in order to gain muscle I believe I impacted my fat loss somewhat. Still not too bad for 61 years old. So for me total calories do obviously matter, even on a low carb diet. To get really cut I think I will need to go calorie negative and perhaps add in an additional re-feed day mid week. Thanks to everyone who joined in on the experiment! I look forward to following your posts and monitoring your progress.

Here are a couple of photos that you may find interesting. The first photo is me (with a moustache ha ha!) at peak fitness Version 1.0, age 32, while competing at the Ironman. The second picture is me today at 61. In the first photo the younger me was 172 lbs., today I weighed in at 173 lbs. In the years between these two photos I stayed in fairly good shape, but following the SAD resulted in a gain of 47 lbs. of mostly fat (peaked out at 220lbs.). After 15 months of Paleo/Primal and the right kind of exercise I have gone full circle and I am back with Peak Fitness Version 2.0 (minus the speedo!)

John's Ironman Photo.jpg
    Attached Files
    Last edited by canuck416; 07-30-2013, 10:47 PM.
    Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

Comment

• Yesterday was a struggle. I normally have breakfast around midday on weekends, but yesterday it got pushed back until 5pm (unintentionally). By which time I was pretty hungry, cooked up my usual steak and added a couple of extra eggs (8 in all), which I demolished in double quick time!

Started getting hungry again by 8pm, so whipped up the remaining steak and another 4 eggs, but after a couple of mouthfuls I just couldn't eat any more. I wasn't full, or even not hungry, I just couldn't face another mouthful, repulsed even.

This morning I woke up at 6.30 and was ravenous, so back to normal steak and 6 eggs, polished off without a problem :-)

These carb refeeds seem to mess me up for a day or two afterwards.
      If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
      If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

• Great results Canuck. I don't believe that I'm eating enough calories to add much muscle, but I am dropping the stubborn last bit if belly fat.

I've been thinking it would be good to do some start and finish blood tests the next time, it'd be interesting to see what impact this diets has had on the standard serum lipid profile tests.

Also, have you tracked your body temp? I haven't, but took it today and it was 95.1f 1st thing in the morning then 96f after breakfast. I'm going to track it daily from here on and see how it goes for the rest of my last week, then compare it to my first week back to normal diet.
        If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
        If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

• Yeah, I'm wondering about how necessary the refeeds really are.

I can see for someone who is already very lean but looking to get totally "shredded" they may be helpful but I'm not sure they are that essential for other folks. Particularly when they are the "stuff yourself senseless" variety.

Or perhaps a "refeed" but just not so drastic e.g. have a potato with your steak now and then would be better.

Comment

• Today (refeed day, day 7 of challenge) I had:
            -sushi (no random sauces, just sriracha sauce mixed with wasabi to dip in)
            -nonfat frozen yogurt with dark choco chips + a tiny bit of oreos (oops)
            -pineapple
            -blueberries
            -strawberries
            -tiny bit of sweet potato chips
            -egg white smoothie post workout with raw cacao, frozen apple+banana slices.

Gonna have a bowl of honey nut cheerios with almond-coconut milk and blueberries for "dinner" tonight and probably more egg whites or crab claw for fat-free protein source. Reminds me of when my ex used to have 2 bowls of Fiber One cereal with skim milk every day for dinner because he was trying to diet.

Worked out hard today. 1 hour plyometrics (jump squats, jump lunges, etc.) + 1 hour legs & abs. Might go salsa dancing tonight as well with friends.
            ------
            HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

• Originally posted by canuck416 View Post
              Finished! Here are the results.
              Congrats!

@novasteve: come join the fun! I just jumped into it the day I learned about the challenge. I already had a small breakfast but started with lunch/dinner that day.
              ------
              HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

• Originally posted by canuck416 View Post
                Finished! Here are the results.

Body Fat % went from 13.8% down to 12.2 % - caliper assessment by exercise physiologist.

Weight 173 - Gained 5 lbs.
                Shoulders - Gained 1 1/2 inches
                Chest - Gained 1 1/2 inches
                Waist - Lost 1 1/4 inches
                Arms - Gained 1 inch
                Thighs - Gained 1 inch

Overall fairly satisfied, by staying calorie positive in order to gain muscle I believe I impacted my fat loss somewhat. Still not too bad for 61 years old.
                Yeah I'd say, "not bad" is an understatement. Lost fat, gained muscle!

I'm roughly your size / BF, but was calorie deficit all month, so will be interesting to compare. Feel like I gained muscle even at a big deficit.

Comment

• Seeing some real changes now. Can't wait to see the results at end of month two.

Comment

• Yeah, I'm not done yet. I haven't been strict enough often enough. Even though I have seen good changes! Going to keep it going another week at least, here.
                    Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

• I'm going to try fasted workouts this week instead of consuming 1-2tbs of coconut oil beforehand and compare end of week results with last week.
                      ------

Comment

• I'm swamped with fun stuff, but probably tonight I'll get my Steak and Eggs After Action Report posted here.

Sent via A-10 Warthog

Comment

• Just in case anyone is interested in what happens to a quite large guy when following the 1 month steak and egg diet, here are the stats that I wound up with.

First off, as embarrassing as this is to actually write down, I did a bench mark test prior to starting the SAE and did a whopping total of 6 pushups… After 1 month of SAE and working out 3 days a week, I did another test and now can do 23 pushups. Still woefully inadequate but a real improvement.

As for body weight changes, according to the bathroom scales, I went down 8 lbs at the lowest then gained back 3 so 5 lost total. Also, went down 1 pant size and 2 belt holes.

As for exercise, all movements increased. These are "work out weights" not maxes. Also, keep in mind the below numbers are Bowflex “weights” so not real world, but real improvements.

Exercise weights increased:
                          Bench Press 180 – 230
                          Shoulder Press 100 – 120
                          Leg Press 210 – 310
                          Bicep Curl 80 – 120

As for body composition Changes:
                          Neck – same
                          Chest – down .5”
                          Belly – Down .5”
                          Hips – Down .75”

So, would I have made the same improvements by following the PB and exercising? Maybe. But this experiment taught me a lot about real hunger and IF-ing to a point. Previously I would have a cup of coffee with cream early in the morning and then eggs and bacon around 9 am then lunch at noon then dinner at 7:30 every night. But while doing this I found that I didn’t even need the “breakfast” and was just eating it out of habbit. I now have the morning coffee around 6 am, then lunch anywhere between 2 – 4 pm then MAYBE dinner around 8 pm but it is a much smaller dinner and I feel fine all day long with plenty of energy.

Anyway, thanks Canuck for starting this challenge. I’ll be revisiting it in the future I’m sure.
                          Last edited by Navajo; 05-27-2013, 09:34 AM.

Comment

• Thanks for sharing, folks. I am very curious to see the final numbers. Also, if possible, numbers in a week from now, to see how sustainable anything was.
                            My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                            When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

• Thanks for the feedback Navajo! Your strength increases were quite good, so I am assuming you gained some lean body mass. The weight changes although not dramatic may not reflect the body composition changes and a possibly improved metabolic rate. The challenge was as much about improving fitness, especially strength and gain lean body (muscle) mass, you definitely succeeded in this area from what I can tell from your report. Based on my experience its still important to be in a negative calorie balance if your focus is on weight reduction, so I would do a diet diary every few days to make sure you are on track. Most importantly keep working out and be mindful of your total over all calories until you reach your goal weight.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leida View Post
                                Thanks for sharing, folks. I am very curious to see the final numbers. Also, if possible, numbers in a week from now, to see how sustainable anything was.
                                Will do Leida, if someone chooses to go back to a more balanced Primal approach with increased carbs they will need to be mindful of their overall caloric intake and the importance of maintaining the right amount and type of exercise or end up back where they started. Hopefully some good patterns were established during the last 30 days (IFing, Strength Training and realizing you can get by on fewer carbs).

Comment

Working...
                                X