Lets get serious about body fat - 4 weeks Steak and eggs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Misabi View Post
    Have you tried leaving to coconut oil until after your workout?

If your focus is on leaning out, you may find it works better to workout totally fasted first thing in the morning.
    I've tried fasted workouts. I might try it again but usually I find myself working out 2x as hard with some MFA's in my system. Also I remember reading a post where someone asked about if taking BCAA before workout would affect a fasted workout and Mark said not too much...and I would think protein would have more of an insulin effect than fat. (not sure).

Originally posted by Misabi View Post
    Might try some this week. I guess I'm just wary if food imported from china in general, what with things like melamine and cardboard showing up as unlisted ingredients.
    My grandma used to make salted duck eggs herself. It is just salt water and boiled duck eggs for 3-ish weeks if you want to make it yourself, but usually it is kind of hard for even Chinese brands to add fancy chemicals to such a basic staple and it's so cheap here I'll rather just buy it.

I would recommend the Century Egg too because it is basically a pickled egg with a basic solution (usually NaOH/lye instead an acidic solution (like vinegar)...however, it is kind of an acquired taste like stinky tofu.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

• Brazilian steak house all-you-can-eat.

Meat coma!

Comment

• Originally posted by turquoisepassion View Post
        I've tried fasted workouts. I might try it again but usually I find myself working out 2x as hard with some MFA's in my system. Also I remember reading a post where someone asked about if taking BCAA before workout would affect a fasted workout and Mark said not too much...and I would think protein would have more of an insulin effect than fat. (not sure).
        You might find this an interesting read. Of course, there may have been more recent studies that differ etc.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fasti...#axzz2UHLu4wYP
        If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
        If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

• Last day on Steak and Eggs. Well I did it, 4 weeks of Steak and Eggs! (about 90% - did have some liver, onions, mushrooms and jaleponos once in a while). Today I got up early walked 1 mile to the gym, did a leg and ab workout and walked home. On the way home I stopped at Whole Foods and picked up a pastured New York Strip and cooked it in lots of butter with 4 eggs for brunch. Tomorrow I'll report on weight, body fat % and get a photo done.

Squats - 1 X 15 @135 lbs., 1 X 10 @185 lbs., 1 X 8 @225 lbs., 1 X 6 @275 lbs, 1 X 3 @ 315 lbs.
          Hack Squats - 1 X 12 @135 lbs., 1 X 10 @185 lbs., 1 X 8 @225 lbs.

3 Tri-Sets - Thigh Ext. 150 lbs X 12, Leg Curl 85 X 12, Calf Raises 200 X 12
          Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

Comment

• Originally posted by canuck416 View Post
            Last day on Steak and Eggs.
            Congrats!!!! I still have...3 weeks to go. I might actually go beyond 4 weeks and just mix it up on the meats.

bbq_diya.jpg \
            ^Today's dinner looks good. My first attempt at trying to recreate Texan brisket (I'm a Texan transplant in NYC for school). I couldn't use molasses for the BBQ sauce for obvious reasons so I used a few drops of stevia (thus the funny coloring/texture). Tons of bacon and beef fat used for the oils in the sauce to up my fat intake.
            ------
            HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

• Grats on seeing it through completely Canuck. I look forward to the final results.

I didn't start tracking till the 4th so I'm running it through to June 1. Not to mention I wouldn't want to end on this weeks results. Only two days out of the week were inline with the program and results reflect that. I've been up and down the same half pound all week. Official loss for the week is -0.6 lb, was +2.9 the morning after feast day, and -1.0 for the low of the week.

I'm not sweating the lack of loss this week though. It looks like I've added a little size in the chest and shoulders and the tiny bit of winging of the scapula that I had at the beginning of the month is gone.

This last week should be a good one. I feel like my head is in the game and I'm ready to be follow this thing to a T for these last seven days.

Comment

• Day 7. I am not a whole lot lighter (-4 lbs on my lightest day, but today it's back to only -2ish?) but I compared my day 7 picture to my day 2 picture and I can see a slight difference in my body fat.

I think I need to rely less on bacon as a beef substitute and use lamb for when I don't feel like eating beef. That was probably why I'm up this morning.

Bought a lot of fruit and a box of honey nut cheerios. It's one of my old favorite foods that is naturally gluten-free.

I guess I'll be alone in continuing this s&e thing for the next month? I kind of like how simple it is (no more spending time wondering what to make for breakfast/lunch/dinner!) and how effective it is so I might extend this past 4 weeks if I'm not sick of only meat & eggs. The only downside is that it's not really the cheapest diet for a poor law student to be on...
                ------

Comment

• Originally posted by turquoisepassion View Post
                  Bought a lot of fruit and a box of honey nut cheerios. It's one of my old favorite foods that is naturally gluten-free.
                  Is this a new thing? According to all the info I have found, including on the manufacturer's site, there are no Cheerios that are gluten-free.

Comment

• Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                    Is this a new thing? According to all the info I have found, including on the manufacturer's site, there are no Cheerios that are gluten-free.
                    Really? I checked the ingredients and it was just oat and oat bran...unless oat bran isn't gluten free? In any case...I had a bit of oreo crumble on top of my nonfat frozen yogurt (no fat, tons of carbs, satisfies my weekly ice cream craving) just now so I guess I'm not 100% gluten free today either way.
                    ------

Comment

• Only gluten-free oats are gluten-free. Oats are generally grown in fields that may also grow wheat. They are handled by the same equipment that handles wheat. They are processed with the same equipment that processes wheat. So while "may contain wheat" sometimes is just a cover-your-ass thing, in the case of oats, it is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                        Only gluten-free oats are gluten-free. Oats are generally grown in fields that may also grow wheat. They are handled by the same equipment that handles wheat. They are processed with the same equipment that processes wheat. So while "may contain wheat" sometimes is just a cover-your-ass thing, in the case of oats, it is true.

Awww. Darn it. Thanks for letting me know. I'll try to buy some quinoa puffs for carb refeed from Whole Foods after this box runs out. I know I should eat whole foods like Sweet Potatoes but for some reason I craved cereal this whole week.
                        ------

Comment

• Can't wait to see the results! Glad everyone stuck with this. I'll be starting steak and eggs next Saturday to keep the fun going. You won't be alone, turquoise! After keeping up with this thread I inadvertently started easing into the steak and eggs idea. I've been eating fattier cuts of meat, more eggs, as well as subconciously cutting down on my vegetable intake. I also decided to cut back on my refeeds to Sundays only, rather than after every PWO meal. I'd already been doing the two meals a day thing, but this past Thursday decided to cut back to once a day feasts. All in all, very manageable, and I don't have to worry about packing food for work Can't wait to start!

Comment

• I've read this all with interest. If the weekly refeed was just late afternoon each week it'd be pretty much the Carb Nite protocol by John Keifer.

He recommends very high GI carbs for the refeed, reducing the insulin window that the 'healthy' low GI or GL carbs produce.

Any thoughts on this?
                            Last edited by thriveful; 05-26-2013, 01:06 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by thriveful View Post
                              I've read this all with interest. If the weekly refers was just late afternoon each week it'd be pretty much the Carb Nite protocol by John Keifer.

He recommends very high GI carbs for the refeed, reducing the insulin window that the 'healthy' low GI or GL carbs produce.

Any thoughts on this?
                              I tried it. I went one cycle, then pigged out on carbs as per the protocol in the book. I felt horrible and was up until 4:00 am that night. I didn't eat the next day. By the weekend I had not yet lost back the weight I had gained. I would have tried it another week, modifying the carb refeed so as not to give me so many calories, but other things came up. I may try it again sometime.

I'm okay with carbs, but the megacalorie feedouts don't work for me.

Comment

• I think sweet potato, white potato and rice would be pretty clean, perhaps some ice cream as a treat. I think the high GI/GL foods makes sense for the backload, get the glucose stored and get the insulin levels down ASAP. Makes a bit of a mockery of the CW

Comment

Working...
                                X