No announcement yet.

Lets get serious about body fat - 4 weeks Steak and eggs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay, okay. Pushing myself away from the birthday chocolate fest now. Still seven days in this month, going to DO THIS. I feel awesome every week anyway, I have nothing to lose but fat - and chocolate.

I think I should start a steak, eggs and chocolate protocol instead!
    Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

• Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
      Switch the steak to lamb and it sounds like Easter. Would Cadbury eggs be allowed?

Comment

Your comment reminded me of this article. Here are some fun, out-of-context quotes:

"A new study finds that people who eat chocolate several times a week are actually leaner than people who don't eat chocolate regularly."

"In our study, people who ate chocolate more often actually ate more calories," says Golomb. "But in spite of that they had lower [BMI]."

"When he investigated some specific polyphenols found in cocoa, he found that they potently inhibit an enzyme, called pancreatic lipase, that's responsible for digesting dietary fat.

This means that the fat in chocolate may exit our bodies before it has a chance to be absorbed. Or, in other words, these compounds in cocoa may help us fend off fat."

"Another possible mechanism is that the compounds in chocolate may increase the energy that cells make. Researchers are studying this as well."
        I'm a weak man...If I give myself a few feet of leeway, I burst through all of my prohibitions.

Comment

• Three cheers for pancreatic lipase!
          be the hair that knots with my hair
          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
          primal since oct. 1, 2012

Comment

• Your comment reminded me of this article. Here are some fun, out-of-context quotes:

"A new study finds that people who eat chocolate several times a week are actually leaner than people who don't eat chocolate regularly."

"In our study, people who ate chocolate more often actually ate more calories," says Golomb. "But in spite of that they had lower [BMI]."

"When he investigated some specific polyphenols found in cocoa, he found that they potently inhibit an enzyme, called pancreatic lipase, that's responsible for digesting dietary fat.

This means that the fat in chocolate may exit our bodies before it has a chance to be absorbed. Or, in other words, these compounds in cocoa may help us fend off fat."

"Another possible mechanism is that the compounds in chocolate may increase the energy that cells make. Researchers are studying this as well."
            Holy $hit. I'm a genius...or a chocolate addict...
            Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

• I look slimmer at 248 lbs than I did when I was 210 lbs!

Comment

• Ha ha...All this chocolate talk is making me a bit crazy. Very much looking forward to getting back on a good Primal diet with lots of variety. Its been a fun 4 weeks getting to know all of you but I must say I'll probably take a bit of a break from Steak and Eggs for a few days!
                Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

Comment

• I always take measurements at month end, so another week steak and eggs.

Lost fat for certain, but muscles seem plumper too...or maybe I can just see them now!

May do a second month.

Comment

Okay, okay. Pushing myself away from the birthday chocolate fest now. Still seven days in this month, going to DO THIS. I feel awesome every week anyway, I have nothing to lose but fat - and chocolate.

You can make your own dark raw (clean) chocolate: raw cacao powder, coconut oil (or butter), liquid stevia. I am contemplating doing this on the days I need more fat.
                    ------
                    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

• You and me both, Kimchi.

Park neck steak and 4 eggs for dinner. Gym was good today but shoulders were a little stiff. Tempted to do a carb day tomorrow but think I'll wait til next Tuesday.

*goes back to munching on a few squares of 90% lindt*

Comment

• Day 5. I've been eating various cuts of beef cooked various ways ("Italian sausage", hamburger patties, meatballs, steak, etc.), eggs, and about 5-10 almonds a day.

I never thought I'll miss things like spinach and broccoli in such a short amount of time. I'm sick of eggs so I might just eat various cuts of meat for day 6. I think I'm going to pick up some lamb for tonight and a beef rump roast (for texas brisket) for tomorrow.

I can't wait for sushi on Carb Refeed day Sunday!
                        ------
                        HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

• Originally posted by turquoisepassion View Post
                          I'm sick of eggs so I might just eat various cuts of meat for day 6.
                          I am not an expert by any means, but I would make sure those are fatty cuts of meat since you are missing out on fat you would be getting from the eggs.
                          The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

Comment

• Originally posted by aliphian View Post
                            I am not an expert by any means, but I would make sure those are fatty cuts of meat since you are missing out on fat you would be getting from the eggs.
                            Yep, you'll need to up your fat intake from somewhere else if you're dropping the eggs.

Today's the end of week 3 for me.
                            I've made gains in strength (have increased my weighted pull-ups from 3 sets of 3 @ 20kg to 7/7/6 @20kg) but felt like. my conditioning had suffered a little. At least it did today, but that's most likely due to my last refeed being last Thursday (it's Sat AM here now).

I pushed my refeed back this week as a) I was feeling good and b) have a family gathering today, so it made sense).

This morning I thought I'd bust out an old favourite "Tabata something else", tabatas (work 20 secs, rest 10 secs, then repeat) of pull-ups, push-ups, sit-ups and squats. You add up the total number of all the exercises you manage to do for a total score.

Today I thought i had scored 150, which compared to the 275 I scored the last time I did this in January is pretty poor. But I've just looked at my math again at it looks like it was my mental function which was really impaired! I actually scored 270, so not too shabby.

Will be interesting to repeat it after a good refeed.
                            If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
                            If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

• Originally posted by aliphian View Post
                              I have been trying to maintain at a 65-75% fat calories range. I mostly take 1-2 tablespoons of coconut oil in the morning to fuel my workouts and to keep things down there happy in order to make up for the fats. I also take fish oil.

I ate some fatty lamb tonight... barely 65%. Trying to play around nutritionally to get 75% for tomorrow. (ended up logging 5 egg yolks).

I might go into Chinatown to get some salted duck eggs (Salted duck egg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) and hundred-year eggs (Century egg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) to get some variety in eggs for next week.
                              ------

Comment

• Originally posted by turquoisepassion View Post
                                I mostly take 1-2 tablespoons of coconut oil in the morning to fuel my workouts
                                Have you tried leaving to coconut oil until after your workout?

If your focus is on leaning out, you may find it works better to workout totally fasted first thing in the morning.

Originally posted by turquoisepassion View Post
                                I might go into Chinatown to get some salted duck eggs
                                I don't know why I've never thought of this, I occasionally get hold of fresh duck eggs at farmers markets etc, you can't get them fresh at stores here. But you can get salted in Asian good stores locally.

Might try some this week. I guess I'm just wary if food imported from china in general, what with things like melamine and cardboard showing up as unlisted ingredients.
                                If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
                                If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

Working...
                                X