Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lets get serious about body fat - 4 weeks Steak and eggs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Lean mass up two pounds, fat down two pounds. Direct conversion, perfect symmetrical success! And suddenly 5x5 curls with 50 pound weights seems too easy. Shirt's too tight around my arms again, too.


    Welcome, turquoisepassion!

    Has anyone experimented with carb refeed with mostly starches versus mostly fructose/lactose (fruits & dairy)?
    Starch is the devil!!! Okay, okay. I just happen to be unable to digest it, that's all. Starch would be too slowly digested and fail to spike blood sugar and insulin, anyway, as I understand it.

    Yes, though most meals are just steak and eggs, I have a pound of liver at least once a week, and have had a pound of bacon twice in place of steak. Did ground beef once, but blah, it's hard to finish a pound of ground beef.
    Last edited by Knifegill; 05-21-2013, 07:27 PM.
    Crohn's, doing SCD

    Comment


    • I'm totally failing with the self working out thing. As in I haven't done it yet. I have just been going to karate twice a week consistently and riding my bike to and from work. But the ride home (all up hill. And not a small hill) suddenly has become much less difficult. I guess if I work out today and tomorrow that'll give me 4 training days this week.


      Going out on a date tonight. Is it rude to eat the meat out of the bun with a fork? Lol.

      Comment


      • Man I am completely off the rails this week.

        Instead of a carb-up on Sunday I made a 6 lb hotel style turkey breast. Instead of eating at 6pm and fasting till 10am like normal I just keep chowing till bed. Over 6 hours I must have ate 3-3.5 lbs of turkey along with some left over crap mayo. The next morning I was up 3lbs, it may have just been my imagination but my muscles seemed a little plump (along with the rest of me). I was hoping this would mean some nice lifts but some of my joints were aching. (only overhead press was able to go up in weight)

        Meat selection at the store was crappy this week so the steak for dinner sucked and I only ate about half of it. I was really hunger come bedtime so I finished off the last bits of turkey. (second night w/o normal 16h fast).

        I woke up today, fortunately all the weight gained from Turkeyfest had left me. I only ended up doing half of my regular walk and I wasn't looking forward to the crappy steaks again so we ended up ordering naked chicken wings.

        I need to dig through the chest freezer and see if there is anything decent in there, might be a flank steak.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by turquoisepassion View Post
          Okay just reading through the thread (on page 70) and I have one question:

          Has anyone experimented with carb refeed with mostly starches versus mostly fructose/lactose (fruits & dairy)?

          I know on body building forums for carb cycling high carb days they suggested eating 1 piece of fruit before each carby meal to fill up the liver stores.
          I used mostly starches in my refeed. I would mash a yam with white rice and add some balsamic vinegar, I also ate white potatoes and had gluten free spaghetti. I did also have some fruit, an apple, orange or bananna for variety. My protein was low fat, usually tuna. Interestingly having listened to descriptions of the 70s refeeds, they used no such constraint, any thing went, beer, pizza, spaghetti, cake, pies...basically just a contest to see how much they could eat.
          Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

          https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

          Comment


          • Originally posted by turquoisepassion View Post
            Has anyone experimented with carb refeed with mostly starches versus mostly fructose/lactose (fruits & dairy)?
            Welcome aboard!

            Like Canuck, I have a little fruit (one or two bananas, maybe an apple or orange), then it's kumara and or white rice. Last week I made kumara and maple syrup thick cut chips, which were fantastic. Roasted with just a little coconut oil to stop them sticking and maple syrup for flavour.
            If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

            Originally posted by tfarny
            If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

            Comment


            • Originally posted by turquoisepassion View Post
              Okay just reading through the thread (on page 70) and I have one question:

              Has anyone experimented with carb refeed with mostly starches versus mostly fructose/lactose (fruits & dairy)?
              The first refeed I had rice and potatoes, the second refeed I had mostly fruit. Not much to go on, but I felt basically the same both time, recovered as quickly both times, and made strength gains in the same amt of time. I did gain about 4 lbs during each refeed but lost it during the next week.
              be the hair that knots with my hair
              - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
              primal since oct. 1, 2012

              Comment


              • So today makes 4 weeks, right Canuck? Post up some measurements and pictures! Or did I miss it?

                Anyhow, I've been following this thread and thinking about doing this thing and then this morning my wife said "Honey, this weekend when we go grocery shopping let's just get steak and eggs."

                She is on board so IT IS ON! We will likely start on Monday.
                The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

                Comment


                • My re-feed usually consists of lots of fruit. I would definitely not want to for-go bananas though, as I use them in my pancakes, and as a nice mid-day pick me up. I generally eat a whole bunch of them. Sweet potatoes are definitely my second favorite thing to eat besides bananas, shoot they look like a big veiny bicep, that's gotta be some mimicry of nature there haha. And I usually have maple syrup and or honey with one or two items throughout the day.

                  And also an apple or two, the sorbitol draws water into your lower intestine making digestion easier after all that fiber which can temporarily constipate me if I dont have any coffee or apples. My body is definitely adapting well to the S&E, which is easy to pass in normal looking stool, and after carb day I get a little plugged, but come monday/tuesday its back to normal again.

                  Canuck please make a new thread when you decide to start another challenge, this was a lot of fun and I have made great strides in my health and fitness in these past couple weeks. I would definitely be interested in having two re-feeds a week, perhaps we could hone in more on carbohydrates and our sources of sugars making it a smoother transition from carb day to meat day.....although it is hard to top this current schedule I must admit!
                  Last edited by Z0oom; 05-22-2013, 10:50 AM.

                  Comment


                  • Huh. I thought fructose doesn't spike the blood sugar level like glucose/etc does? I thought perhaps glucose/starches would be better for carb refeed after a few pieces of fruit at the beginning, but seems like everyone's experiences are proving me wrong.

                    Thanks everyone for chiming in! I think I will eat a balanced amount of starches/fructose come Saturday (my planned refeed day).
                    ------
                    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

                    My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links


                    Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

                    " The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

                    Comment


                    • If I understand correctly, fructose is metabolized like alcohol. So I should probably quit drinking, but instead have decreased fruit intake.
                      "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

                      B*tch-lite

                      Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

                      Comment


                      • Well, it's not exactly steak and eggs so far this week. Too much dark chocolate and too many larabars laying around. But my abs are still getting more defined. The larabars don't seem to be interfering.
                        Crohn's, doing SCD

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by aliphian View Post
                          So today makes 4 weeks, right Canuck? Post up some measurements and pictures! Or did I miss it?

                          Anyhow, I've been following this thread and thinking about doing this thing and then this morning my wife said "Honey, this weekend when we go grocery shopping let's just get steak and eggs."

                          She is on board so IT IS ON! We will likely start on Monday.
                          This is the last week, Steak and Eggs ends on Saturday night. Sunday is for weight, photos etc. and of course a refeed celebration.
                          Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

                          https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Z0oom View Post
                            My re-feed usually consists of lots of fruit. I would definitely not want to for-go bananas though, as I use them in my pancakes, and as a nice mid-day pick me up. I generally eat a whole bunch of them. Sweet potatoes are definitely my second favorite thing to eat besides bananas, shoot they look like a big veiny bicep, that's gotta be some mimicry of nature there haha. And I usually have maple syrup and or honey with one or two items throughout the day.

                            And also an apple or two, the sorbitol draws water into your lower intestine making digestion easier after all that fiber which can temporarily constipate me if I dont have any coffee or apples. My body is definitely adapting well to the S&E, which is easy to pass in normal looking stool, and after carb day I get a little plugged, but come monday/tuesday its back to normal again.

                            Canuck please make a new thread when you decide to start another challenge, this was a lot of fun and I have made great strides in my health and fitness in these past couple weeks. I would definitely be interested in having two re-feeds a week, perhaps we could hone in more on carbohydrates and our sources of sugars making it a smoother transition from carb day to meat day.....although it is hard to top this current schedule I must admit!
                            Will do ZOoom, its been great getting to know everyone. Kind of like a tribe!
                            Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

                            https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

                            Comment


                            • Into my third week now and I have def put on muscle mass. Not had my bf calibrated so just eyeballing it and going off my gym performances. Got a bit annoyed the other day when I managed to put on a few pounds but that seems to have smoothed out now.

                              Will stretch this for another 4 weeks.

                              Comment


                              • If I wasn't going on holiday at the end of the month I'd carry on for another few weeks. Might need to get back on it after the holiday anyway ;-)

                                One thing I have noticed, I can chow through steak and 6 fried eggs like nobody's business, but make an omelette with the same amount of eggs and it's so much more filling! I couldn't finish breakfast this AM, had to have a small lunch instead.
                                If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

                                Originally posted by tfarny
                                If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X