Lets get serious about body fat - 4 weeks Steak and eggs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
    I didn't. If you want to supplement, I'd say supplement lightly.
    Are you leery of fish oils, etc, Katherine?

Comment

• S&E sounds good, but I'm gonna bust out the liver for dinner tonight. I was gonna sneak in an onion, but I want to learn to like it more without being smothered in caramelized onions because I bet thats more sugar.

Comment

• Originally posted by ajm422 View Post
        Yeah we haven't gone out either (well, except for carb day). At home, a brilliantly cooked 24 oz. steak and 6 fried eggs costs me roughly 20 minutes of my time and $8. At a restaurant, this would be an off-menu order and likely cost more than $30, if I could even find a place to order it.

I'm going to a happy hour this evening and I'll probably just get a dram of neat Scotch and abstain from food. It's just not easy going out on this diet. But that's ok. Save money and lose fat. I can have fun when I'm lean.
        Wtf??? 8 dollars for over a pound of steak??? You have it good in the US...2 pounds of t-bone in Germany cost me 20 euros, and that was half price.

Comment

• Originally posted by CavemanJoe View Post
          Wtf??? 8 dollars for over a pound of steak??? You have it good in the US...2 pounds of t-bone in Germany cost me 20 euros, and that was half price.
          Well, this isn't typical. I'm doing this on a budget so I bought Costco-sized portions of sirloin steaks for $4.50/lb and a top round roast for $3.50/lb. I sliced the roast into steaks, which form the bulk of my diet. I live in the DC suburbs and meat is absurdly expensive here. Over at Whole Foods your garden variety NY Strip is going to be $10-15/lb, sirloin is usually $8/lb, and high end cuts like filet are as much as $18-20/lb.

Honestly, if you know how to cook a steak you can make a Costco sirloin taste pretty damn amazing. Salt liberally and let it sit out a few hours and then cook it sous vide, searing with a propane torch. Yeah, it takes time and effort but you can't argue with the results. My cheap steaks taste damn good.
          I'm a weak man...If I give myself a few feet of leeway, I burst through all of my prohibitions.

Comment

• Originally posted by Daryl View Post
            Are you leery of fish oils, etc, Katherine?
            Not at all. I am however leery of supplementation in general, having been raised in a household where we took a handful of supplements several times a day, to no apparent benefit. I don't believe in the "insurance" hypothesis of dietary supplementation, whether it is based on "I'm gonna eat a crappy diet, but I'm okay because I'm taking vitamins," "The modern food chain is devoid of nutrients, so I need to take lots of vitamins" or "I feel fine and eat an excellent diet, but I probably have lots of nutritional deficiencies that I need to take large doses of vitamins to remedy."

I wish I had all the money my mother spent on supplements over the years.

Your mileage may vary.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lynna View Post
              Meh. Dusting is overrated.
              True. Come Easter, I'll collect my dust bunnies, and have extra eggs for breakfast.

Comment

• I just scored 300 lbs (!) of 70-80s era Weider and Hercules plates and two bars for 5 dollars at an auction. The plates range from 2.5 lbs to 25 lbs. I took a look around at all the wheat bellies and thought, "I've got this one in the bag. None of these people here are interested in lifting". I was the only one to bid. I now have over 400 lbs of plates. So chuffed. I'm setting up a bare bones gym today.

I'm now up to a 20 minute daily jog. I could never go above about 4 minutes before without getting winded. I had breath to spare at the 20 minute mark but I like working up to something so I stopped at 20.

I'm being powered by steak and eggs.
                be the hair that knots with my hair
                - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                primal since oct. 1, 2012

Comment

• Originally posted by little vase View Post
                  I just scored 300 lbs (!) of 70-80s era Weider and Hercules plates and two bars for 5 dollars at an auction. The plates range from 2.5 lbs to 25 lbs. I took a look around at all the wheat bellies and thought, "I've got this one in the bag. None of these people here are interested in lifting". I was the only one to bid. I now have over 400 lbs of plates. So chuffed. I'm setting up a bare bones gym today.

I'm now up to a 20 minute daily jog. I could never go above about 4 minutes before without getting winded. I had breath to spare at the 20 minute mark but I like working up to something so I stopped at 20.

WHAT. That's the most amazing thing I've ever heard. What the hell. I paid $200 for 500 lbs of weights, a power rack, a barbell, a bench, and adjustable dumbbells. Until now, that was the best deal on training equipment I'd ever heard. You just won. Congratulations!
                  I'm a weak man...If I give myself a few feet of leeway, I burst through all of my prohibitions.

Comment

• Know what.....you scored too! That's amazing. Especially with the bench and rack!

I know though...I still can't believe it. New plates here are a dollar a lb and about 60 cents a lb on sale.

Mind = blown.

Comment

Know what.....you scored too! That's amazing. Especially with the bench and rack!

I know though...I still can't believe it. New plates here are a dollar a lb and about 60 cents a lb on sale.

Mind = blown.
                      Yeah this guy was helping his son move and needed to unload the weights that moment. He knew he was letting 'em go for nothing but hey. Buyer's market. Relatedly, I'm sneaking up on that magical 450 pound figure with my deadlift. It's going to be a while, as my 1RM is 395 right now, but the day when I can load the bar up with every plate I own and move it off the ground will be something special.

Comment

I just scored 300 lbs (!) of 70-80s era Weider and Hercules plates and two bars for 5 dollars at an auction. The plates range from 2.5 lbs to 25 lbs. I took a look around at all the wheat bellies and thought, "I've got this one in the bag. None of these people here are interested in lifting". I was the only one to bid. I now have over 400 lbs of plates. So chuffed. I'm setting up a bare bones gym today.

Wow that is a great deal! Its so much fun setting up your own gym and congrats your cardio improvement. You're doing great!
                        Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

Comment

• Originally posted by ajm422 View Post
                          Yeah this guy was helping his son move and needed to unload the weights that moment. He knew he was letting 'em go for nothing but hey. Buyer's market. Relatedly, I'm sneaking up on that magical 450 pound figure with my deadlift. It's going to be a while, as my 1RM is 395 right now, but the day when I can load the bar up with every plate I own and move it off the ground will be something special.
                          A 1 RM 450 lb deadlift at 170 bodyweight would be outstanding! I just did 1 RM in Bench Press on Monday - 245 lbs. I am typically weak on the bench so this was a decent number for me, a weight I haven't managed in over 20 years. Today I did a 1 RM full squat at 315 lbs. which is a decent number and Friday I'll see what I can manage on the deadlift. I don't think I'm in your league at 395 lbs. but it will be something to shoot for.

Surprisingly I felt quite strong in my interval session yesterday afternoon - 10 X 100 meters, so I don't appear to be missing the carbs at this point.
                          Last edited by canuck416; 05-15-2013, 10:57 AM.
                          Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

Comment

• Originally posted by canuck416 View Post
                            A 1 RM 450 lb deadlift at 170 bodyweight would be outstanding! I just did 1 RM in Bench Press on Monday - 245 lbs. I am typically weak on the bench so this was a decent number for me, a weight I haven't managed in over 20 years. Today I did a 1 RM full squat at 315 lbs. which is a decent number and Friday I'll see what I can manage on the deadlift. I don't think I'm in your league at 395 lbs. but it will be something to shoot for.

Surprisingly I felt quite strong in my interval session yesterday afternoon - 10 X 100 meters, so I don't appear to be missing the carbs at this point.
                            Fantastic, canuck. If it makes you feel better my 1RM bench is only 220 lbs. After steak and eggs I'm gonna try 5/3/1 and start leveling up my bench press.

Man, I hope I'm still strong as you when I'm your age. That's really impressive.

Comment

• Very impressive. To still be making gains - it's so motivating. I've been setting new PRs on every single weight exercise this week. Who else? Most of you are in your 3rd week, right? I'm wondering if I'll be even stronger next week.

Canuck, are you planning on revisiting this s&e challenge yourself anytime in the near future? I think I'd like to take a month or two off from it and then do it again in late summer.

Comment

• Results

Things have been looking a little bit different every day. Today I asked my boyfriend if my shoulders looked larger, and he said, "definitely". Photographic evidence:

All that handstand work.

Comment

Working...
                                X