No announcement yet.

Lets get serious about body fat - 4 weeks Steak and eggs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2700 calories is not very much. And define sedentary. Anthing short of hard labor? Actually not getting out of bed and just wasting away?
    Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

• Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
      2700 calories is not very much. And define sedentary. Anthing short of hard labor? Actually not getting out of bed and just wasting away?
      Hmm, I'm thinking I need to eat more.

How much are you putting away knifegill?
      Height/weight and age too, if you don't mind :-)
      If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
      If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

• No problem! I'm 31, 5'9" usually eat between 2800-3500 calories most days. I work in a hospital and walk between 5 to 10 miles per shift on a busy night. That said, there are days when I'm just not that hungry, and might not eat more than 2000-2500 calories.
        Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

No problem! I'm 31, 5'9" usually eat between 2800-3500 calories most days. I work in a hospital and walk between 5 to 10 miles per shift on a busy night. That said, there are days when I'm just not that hungry, and might not eat more than 2000-2500 calories.
          Same height but a few years older, plus I spend most of my day on my butt in front if a PC. I do walk up and down at least 32 flights of stairs on a work day (as I won't take the elavator), which I've found replaced a half hour walk a day when I switched jobs.

When I stopped having to walk to and from work I put a couple inches on my waist in 2 months, started taking the stairs and it dropped back to normal. I'm guessing I had my diet so dialled in for my activity level that it just took that small change to make a difference.

But on this diet I'm felling like I need a to eat a little more. Going to try upping the fat for a few days and see.
          If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
          If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

• I was reading an old Lyle McDonald article this morning and found the following quote to really apply to me:

"As one final comment, this is actually my approach to lifting during a diet even if metabolic work isn’t being added to the training. On a diet, usually folks find that while their top end may not suffer much, their endurance and work capacity often goes down. They can get through a couple of heavy sets but then everything drops off in a big way. I’d rather them just get the couple of quality heavy sets done and move on.

Trying to maintain the same heavy volume they were doing prior to the diet is usually a mistake so heavy training volume goes down. Again, most of the fat loss will come from the diet and/or cardio anyhow, heavy weight training should be performed to maintain muscle mass and the same maintenance rules apply regardless of what else is being done."

Whatever else you think of Lyle McDonald (read: he's a whiny douchebag), he's incredibly well-read in terms of body recomposition. Last week I couldn't believe I increased my deadlift from 350x4 to 350x5 on this zero carb diet. What I didn't mention was that on my later reverse pyramid sets, I only managed 275x9, rather than the previous week total of 275x12. This theme has permeated the rest of my training too. Of course, this is not a bad thing in terms of fat loss and lean body mass retention - the important thing here is the large periodic stimuli to the large muscle groups. But if you are experiencing similar performance declines, do not despair. Keep the intensity up on your top work sets. It's all part of the process.
            I'm a weak man...If I give myself a few feet of leeway, I burst through all of my prohibitions.

Comment

Stomach is so flat! OMG!
              Steak and eggs rules hard.

Down 4lbs, stomach flattening out nicely...

Comment

• Tummy fat is definitely thinning out.

Comment

• Heh. I'm actually up 2lbs after my first week. Go figure.

Comment

• Originally posted by CavemanJoe View Post
                    Heh. I'm actually up 2lbs after my first week. Go figure.
                    It may take a few days to drop off that excess glycogen, fiber, and maybe water you picked up from a refeed.

I found that during week 1 I was eating too many calories (I'm obviously not a young guy) so now I keep track to make sure that doesn't happen. Now I feel better, then I felt like I was stuffing myself daily.

If your body is ready to build muscle, it will do that preferentially when you are giving it excess protein. I've found that happens in spurts.

Hang in there.

Comment

• Here is a link to a very good research white paper on the effect of low carbohydrate diets on fat loss that I am sure you will all find interesting.

Low-Carbohydrate Diets
                      Promote a More
                      Favorable Body
                      Composition Than
                      Low-Fat Diets
                      Jeff S. Volek, PhD, RD, Erin E. Quann, PhD, RD, and Cassandra E. Forsythe, PhD, RD
                      Department of Kinesiology, University of Connecticut, Storrs, Connecticut

http://www.nmsociety.org/docs/LowCar...rable-body.pdf
                      Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

Comment

• Originally posted by canuck416 View Post
                        Here is a link to a very good research white paper on the effect of low carbohydrate diets on fat loss that I am sure you will all find interesting.

Low-Carbohydrate Diets
                        Promote a More
                        Favorable Body
                        Composition Than
                        Low-Fat Diets
                        Jeff S. Volek, PhD, RD, Erin E. Quann, PhD, RD, and Cassandra E. Forsythe, PhD, RD
                        Department of Kinesiology, University of Connecticut, Storrs, Connecticut

http://www.nmsociety.org/docs/LowCar...rable-body.pdf
                        This has been shown to be true on a 12-week or so program, but the effects vanish once you carry it out a few months. Long-term calorie balance is responsible for > 95% of all fat loss changes. But if this helps adherence and health, then great.
                        I'm a weak man...If I give myself a few feet of leeway, I burst through all of my prohibitions.

Comment

• Originally posted by ajm422 View Post
                          This has been shown to be true on a 12-week or so program, but the effects vanish once you carry it out a few months. Long-term calorie balance is responsible for > 95% of all fat loss changes. But if this helps adherence and health, then great.
                          Interesting, I am not aware of any long term comparison studies between low carb and low fat diets on body composition. Can you provide a link...Thanks!

I thought the section on the importance of resistance training during the diet was important to note as it relates to our trial.
                          Last edited by canuck416; 05-14-2013, 08:31 AM.
                          Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

Comment

Interesting, I am not aware of any long term comparison studies between low carb and low fat diets on body composition. Can you provide a link...Thanks!

I thought the section on the importance of resistance training during the diet was important to note as it relates to our trial.
                            Indeed, in the very least this paper makes what we are doing look like an ideal crash diet.

Comment

Hm. I actually may have to walk that statement back. An interesting review on the topic came out very recently and I hadn't seen it until I posted this. Here it is:

Very-low-carbohydrate ketogenic diet v. low-fat diet for long-term weight loss: a meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials

You can read it for yourself, but they basically found that five of 13 studies found results that significantly favor VLCKD over LFD in terms of body weight and all the other usual suspects (BP, TAGs, LDL:HDL, etc). Interesting. Five of 13 isn't a spectacular endorsement, but it's something. I'll have to dig into the review when I have more time.

Long-term effects of a very-low-carbohydrate weight loss diet compared with an isocaloric low-fat diet after 12 mo

This study found that, after one year, LC dieters lost slightly, but not significantly more weight than LF dieters. Also, "[b]lood pressure, fasting glucose, insulin, insulin resistance, and C-reactive protein decreased independently of diet composition. Compared with the LF group, the LC group had greater decreases in triglycerides ..., increases in HDL cholesterol ... and LDL cholesterol. This is the study I was thinking of when I made the above statement. Based on this evidence alone, I would stand by that statement.

Four-Year Follow-up after Two-Year Dietary Interventions

Choice quotes:

"At 2 years, the adherence rate was 85%, with evidence of distinct dietary patterns in the three diet groups. After 2 years,1 the mean weight loss was 2.9 kg in the low-fat group, 4.4 kg in the Mediterranean group, and 4.7 kg in the low-carbohydrate group."

For the entire 6-year period, the total weight loss was 0.6 kg in the low-fat group, 3.1 kg in the Mediterranean group, and 1.7 kg in the low-carbohydrate group (P=0.01 for all comparisons). There was a significant difference in total weight loss between the low-fat group and the Mediterranean group (P=0.01) but not between the low-fat group and the low-carbohydrate group (P=0.44) or between the Mediterranean group and the low-carbohydrate group (P=0.22). Overall, as compared with the weight at baseline, the 6-year weight loss was significant for the Mediterranean group (P<0.001) and the low-carbohydrate group (P=0.02) but not for the low-fat group (P=0.28).

The gist of the study is that the Mediterranean (Med) and Low carb (LC) diets are about equivalent in terms of weight loss, LDL:HDL ratio, triglycerides, and total cholesterol. Both are better than Low fat (LF) for all four parameters, though not miles better than Med and LC for weight loss.

With respect to the top review, a quick keyword search through the manuscript didn't turn up any incidences of "isocaloric" or "isoenergetic," etc. I don't know how diligent the reviewers were in ensuring that the included studies controlled for overall energy intake and not just macronutrient makeup. It'll be interesting to see what I find.

Summary

The Brinkworth et. al paper was included in the Cambridge review, whereas the NEJM Four-Year paper was not. Taking these two works together, it would seem that a low carbohydrate diet is moderately better for long-term weight loss, and definitely better for long-term health markers like blood pressure, LDL:HDL, total cholesterol, triglycerides, etc. I'll dig into the review this evening and report back.

It should be said that this is true for sedentary, overweight individuals losing weight. As far as I know, there was no intervention in terms of exercise. This was diet, and diet alone. Though it is safe to assume that either resistance training or cardiovascular exercise would benefit both groups equally, or perhaps even benefit the low fat groups slightly more.
                              Last edited by ajm422; 05-14-2013, 09:02 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                                Indeed, in the very least this paper makes what we are doing look like an ideal crash diet.
                                From that article:

"However, subjects who made only dietary changes had a fat loss of 69% of total weight loss, whereas subjects who added endurance training had a fat loss of 78% of weight loss, and subjects who also added resistance training lost almost exclusively fat (97% of weight loss)."

That's so awesome.

Comment

Working...
                                X