Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lets get serious about body fat - 4 weeks Steak and eggs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by ajm422 View Post
    I'm going to disagree. As you said, this is short term. The nutritional differences between grass fed and corn fed cattle are significant, but they're also important for long term health concerns rather than short term. The steak and eggs diet works primarily because it's zero carb, high protein, and high fat. Sure, it's possible that 4-5% of the diet's efficacy comes from some sort of beefy magic that other protein sources can't match, but I kinda doubt it. To adhere to the steak and eggs diet is to get the 70s bodybuilding experience and enjoy the fat loss benefits of a cyclical ketogenic diet. Any further benefits of switching from grain fed Costco steak to grass fed gourmet meat would be, in my opinion, insignificant.
    I totally agree, my point was it is a one month trial to get the 70s experience and to not worry about grassfed or pastured beef. As a long term strategy though I encourage eating organic and local if possible. Getting to know where you food comes from and supporting small local farmers and growing your own food is not only good for your health it's good for the planet.
    Last edited by canuck416; 05-05-2013, 07:42 AM.
    Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

    https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

    Comment


    • Originally posted by canuck416 View Post
      I totally agree, my point was it is a one month trial to get the 70s experience and to not worry about grassfed or pastured beef. As a long term strategy though I encourage eating organic and local if possible. Getting to know where you food comes from and supporting small local farmers and growing your own food is good for your health and the planet.
      Ah I misread your post. Carry on!
      I'm a weak man...If I give myself a few feet of leeway, I burst through all of my prohibitions.

      Comment


      • Refeed day sounds yummy and I agree w/you that Rick Drasin video are very good!

        Originally posted by canuck416 View Post
        Carb refeed day! I baked a yam and mixed it with white rice for breakfast, tasted real good! Going to have it again for lunch along with a big salad and salmon. I'm really craving fruit today, so far I've already had an organic organge, apple and banana and I'll probably have some grapes and melon later. Dinner tonight will be another big salad, gluten free spaghetti with homemade marinara sauce and lean bison, some good Sonoma red wine and dark chocolate. Yum!

        Comment


        • Picked up some 'Rainbow Eggs' at the Whole Foods the other day. Pastured organic chicken eggs from a local farm. Different sizes and colors and very yummy!

          94019692_cc9ad3bfb5[1].jpg
          Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

          https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

          Comment


          • Originally posted by eKatherine View Post


            Oh, man! Clearly your cravings are different from mine. Here's what I craved for my break-steak:

            *snip pics*

            grapefruit
            cutie
            kimchi
            smoked salmon

            Rest day.

            Results so far:
            Down 2.2 pounds
            Lost 1/2" around the waist, 1/2" around the hips, 1/4" around the thighs. Wearing a size smaller jeans. Looking really trim. Some of that excess flesh seems to be disappearing.
            I hear you! They were quite weird even for me! HA!
            But, back on the steak and egg wagon today. Just got finished with another 2 hours weedwhacking on the side of a steep mountain, played ball for another hour or so with my son and pup, then came in and fixed myself 4 eggs fried in butter and 10 oz of steak. YUMMM!!

            While I was running around the yard like an idiot (racing my son to the ball across the yard) my jeans fell completely down around my knees! I'm gonna need some new clothes and/or remember to wear the dang belt! HA!

            EXCELLENT progress and enjoy your meals!

            Tom

            Comment


            • I'm reading along to see how it goes for everyone. And I'm interested to see what happens after you go back to eating normally. I'm considering taking on this challenge in the future, but am worried that the weight will come piling back on afterwards and it would all be for nothing. I'm also recovering from a back injury last weekend and so sticking with body weight for a little while.

              Keep up the great progress everyone!

              Comment


              • Originally posted by teach2183 View Post
                I'm reading along to see how it goes for everyone. And I'm interested to see what happens after you go back to eating normally. I'm considering taking on this challenge in the future, but am worried that the weight will come piling back on afterwards and it would all be for nothing.
                I think the problem with most weight loss diets is that they're not satiating. They don't satisfy you in the short term or the long term. And besides that, they make you eat foods you don't like (but the diet designer thinks you ought to like) instead of foods you like and your body needs. So the longer you stay on the diet, the more physiological and psychological deficits build up, and the bigger the crash when you either end the diet and go back to the "real" SAD world you never intended to leave, or when you fall off and into that downward spiral.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                  I think the problem with most weight loss diets is that they're not satiating. They don't satisfy you in the short term or the long term. And besides that, they make you eat foods you don't like (but the diet designer thinks you ought to like) instead of foods you like and your body needs. So the longer you stay on the diet, the more physiological and psychological deficits build up, and the bigger the crash when you either end the diet and go back to the "real" SAD world you never intended to leave, or when you fall off and into that downward spiral.
                  WOW! Really well said! I remember the taste of those Lean Cuisines... BLECH! Chemicals anyone?

                  Comment


                  • Carb day totals:

                    calories: 1675
                    protein: 81g
                    fat: 45g
                    net carbs: 217.4g
                    fiber: 42.3

                    carbs: 62%
                    fat: 24%
                    protein: 14%

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                      I think the problem with most weight loss diets is that they're not satiating. They don't satisfy you in the short term or the long term. And besides that, they make you eat foods you don't like (but the diet designer thinks you ought to like) instead of foods you like and your body needs. So the longer you stay on the diet, the more physiological and psychological deficits build up, and the bigger the crash when you either end the diet and go back to the "real" SAD world you never intended to leave, or when you fall off and into that downward spiral.
                      I agree with you. I eat probably 90% primal, occasional dark chocolate or ice cream thrown in there. I'm interested to see what happens after the month and all of you return to Primal eating. Will the weight come back on when you increase your carb intake? I know I can't do low carb for long term because I become horribly depressed. I also have 2 growing kids (nearly 3 and just 5) that watch my food intake very closely so eating only 2 things all week would likely be met with strange responses. But if I see that it works for some people and they can keep off the weight, I might give it a go. I am 5'3.5" and 173lbs and would really like to finally lost all this fat. I can lift decently impressive numbers and play soccer once a week but can't seem to actually slim down.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by teach2183 View Post
                        I agree with you. I eat probably 90% primal, occasional dark chocolate or ice cream thrown in there.
                        And even better, dark chocolate ice cream, eh?

                        I'm interested to see what happens after the month and all of you return to Primal eating.
                        This is primal, too.

                        Will the weight come back on when you increase your carb intake? I know I can't do low carb for long term because I become horribly depressed.
                        I have no issue cycling between VLC and moderate carbs. VLC/high fat gives me enormous surges of energy.

                        I also have 2 growing kids (nearly 3 and just 5) that watch my food intake very closely so eating only 2 things all week would likely be met with strange responses. But if I see that it works for some people and they can keep off the weight, I might give it a go. I am 5'3.5" and 173lbs and would really like to finally lost all this fat. I can lift decently impressive numbers and play soccer once a week but can't seem to actually slim down.
                        It's up to you how you decide to explain your eating choices to your kids. It doesn't seem to me that if you have trouble adapting to VLC, this diet is right for you. But realistically, if you indefinitely put off losing weight because you can't decide how to explain your dietary choices to your kids (I suggest something like "This is how it is."), you are not only hurting yourself, you are hurting them in the long run, because you can't be as active and healthy when you stay overweight.

                        You're the mom here.

                        Comment


                        • This sounds like it would get a bit boring after a while.

                          I have been eating just large amounts of different kinds of meats. Usually lean chicken, salmon with skin, fresh tuna, lamb or liver and serving it over a sweet potato or mashed cauliflower and often having some additional vegetables, but not always. Usually with a sauce (Sriracha or chipotle) or a salsa on top. Probably way more protein than I actually need. Only using grass-fed lamb fat or olive oil for cooking. No wine (maybe a glass a week), no chocolate.

                          I've been eating as big of portions as I can manage, but now and then with all that protein I have to skip a meal because I just can't eat it.

                          I've been able to make good progress in lifting weights. I actually got a couple of random compliments about my body composition (I honestly can't see it, but I guess they could). My pants certainly feel loose.

                          Anyway, I think the steak and eggs plan is probably brilliant but I doubt you have to be that strict with yourself.
                          Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                            This sounds like it would get a bit boring after a while.

                            I have been eating just large amounts of different kinds of meats. Usually lean chicken, salmon with skin, fresh tuna, lamb or liver and serving it over a sweet potato or mashed cauliflower and often having some additional vegetables, but not always. Usually with a sauce (Sriracha or chipotle) or a salsa on top. Probably way more protein than I actually need. Only using grass-fed lamb fat or olive oil for cooking. No wine (maybe a glass a week), no chocolate.

                            I've been eating as big of portions as I can manage, but now and then with all that protein I have to skip a meal because I just can't eat it.

                            I've been able to make good progress in lifting weights. I actually got a couple of random compliments about my body composition (I honestly can't see it, but I guess they could). My pants certainly feel loose.

                            Anyway, I think the steak and eggs plan is probably brilliant but I doubt you have to be that strict with yourself.
                            It's not really about "have to." It's about doing a novelty diet for a short period of time just for the experience. Is this the only way to lose fat? No. Is this the best way to lose fat? No. But it is interesting and it's been a fun experience. I'm getting really good at cooking eggs and steak, too!
                            I'm a weak man...If I give myself a few feet of leeway, I burst through all of my prohibitions.

                            Comment


                            • Not tired of steak yet. It's been a crazy day.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                                It's up to you how you decide to explain your eating choices to your kids. It doesn't seem to me that if you have trouble adapting to VLC, this diet is right for you. But realistically, if you indefinitely put off losing weight because you can't decide how to explain your dietary choices to your kids (I suggest something like "This is how it is."), you are not only hurting yourself, you are hurting them in the long run, because you can't be as active and healthy when you stay overweight.

                                You're the mom here.
                                But my weight doesn't stop me from doing anything at this point. I can play with them for hours, take them on long walks to various parks. We eat a healthy primal and so do they, although we do have a bit of dairy. I'm mostly trying to figure out what I need to do to lose the weight by tweaking things here and there. The carbs we have now, aside from the dairy, are potatoes, sweet potatoes, and fruit with the occasional white rice. I just can't imagine trying to tell my kids to eat their veggies while I don't.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X