Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lets get serious about body fat - 4 weeks Steak and eggs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I like the simplicity of this, so I've been giving it a go since early last week. So far I've seen some pretty great results, and I'm feeling good and not depleted.. However, I've had two side effects: I seem to be constantly thirsty, and have chapped lips. I'm drinking water constantly too - so I don't think it's that.
    Normally if I'm dehydrated I blame too much salt, but is there a chance this is being cause by too little salt? On the Call to Action blog he specifically says to salt everything a lot, which I do... but could they be related? I'm not sure how long I can keep it up if the thirst doesn't go away. Anyone else experiencing anything like it?

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Kastro View Post
      I like the simplicity of this, so I've been giving it a go since early last week. So far I've seen some pretty great results, and I'm feeling good and not depleted.. However, I've had two side effects: I seem to be constantly thirsty, and have chapped lips. I'm drinking water constantly too - so I don't think it's that.
      Normally if I'm dehydrated I blame too much salt, but is there a chance this is being cause by too little salt? On the Call to Action blog he specifically says to salt everything a lot, which I do... but could they be related? I'm not sure how long I can keep it up if the thirst doesn't go away. Anyone else experiencing anything like it?
      Yes I experienced this as well but upped the Himalayan salt quite a bit and started to drink a lot of green tea. For whatever reason this seems to have helped considerably.
      Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

      https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

      Comment


      • I've increased the amount if water I'm drinking, as when I'm eating lots of veggies, greens, fruit and stews I get lots of fluid anyway.

        I also often add a spoon or two of sole to a few glasses of water a day, especially the first glass I drink. I find that helps too.

        http://www.himalayancrystalsalt.com/sole-recipe.html
        If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

        Originally posted by tfarny
        If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

        Comment


        • So is this a good way to lose fat or just to build muscle? Steak is too expensive so I'll have to make do with mince and cheaper cuts!

          Comment


          • Canuck416:

            Really enjoying your discussion here and glad you like the article I sent you on "steak/eggs." I did this diet when I was in my 20's. So I disagree with that comment that only "talented" people with good bodies ate this way.

            I used to train at World gym in the 80's. It was very common back then to train and go to "Zucky's Diner" and order steak/eggs. Every once in while, Vince Gironda would pop in. What a character that guy was. A head of his time. Hated carbs and would always talk about eating liver and cream. If you are a Zane fan, he looked his best about two month before a contest. He doesn't look it when he's on stage, but man, was he huge before he started to diet down! Very impressive.

            If you are interested in old time bodybuilding history check out "Smoke and mirrors" by Randy Roach or listen to some of his podcast. Lots of info how those guys used to eat. Rick Drasin has very cool show on the old timers as well on youtube. I'll try to find the one where he talks about steak/eggs.


            Also, I wrote my transformation story in this Friday's edition of MDA. It's called "Free at 50". I think you might like it. I figure us older guys got to stick together!

            Looking forward to see you progress on this diet!
            Last edited by jackson44; 05-05-2013, 04:59 AM.

            Comment


            • "The Day After" HAHAHAHA

              So yesterday I ate the following as my refeed:
              coffee and cream
              Cobb Salad with Ranch
              Clif Peanut Butter Choc. Crunch bar
              1 can Spaghettios
              1 Small Salmon Steak
              1 Cup white Rice

              WOW! Talk about the wheels falling off a bit. I have NEVER liked Spaghettios...EVER but they were calling me yesterday and I finally gave in. HA
              BUT I spent 12.5 hours outside working in the sun (mowing, weed whacking, cleaning fence rows, stacking huge brush pile, moving big rocks around etc) then after dark the boy and I set the brushpile on fire and had a pretty good relaxing couple hours around a bon fire. So, all in all I'm calling it a win!

              So after all that atrocious food yesterday, the scales only went UP 1.6 lbs. Not bad!

              So back to the steak and eggs today.

              Hope everyone enjoys their carbs today and lets try to do better than I didn in keeping it mostly Primal! HA

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Misabi View Post
                I've increased the amount if water I'm drinking, as when I'm eating lots of veggies, greens, fruit and stews I get lots of fluid anyway.

                I also often add a spoon or two of sole to a few glasses of water a day, especially the first glass I drink. I find that helps too.

                Sole Recipe
                Glad you put in that link.

                Sole

                Originally posted by Navajo View Post
                "The Day After" HAHAHAHA

                So yesterday I ate the following as my refeed:
                coffee and cream
                Cobb Salad with Ranch
                Clif Peanut Butter Choc. Crunch bar
                1 can Spaghettios
                1 Small Salmon Steak
                1 Cup white Rice

                WOW! Talk about the wheels falling off a bit. I have NEVER liked Spaghettios...EVER but they were calling me yesterday and I finally gave in. HA
                BUT I spent 12.5 hours outside working in the sun (mowing, weed whacking, cleaning fence rows, stacking huge brush pile, moving big rocks around etc) then after dark the boy and I set the brushpile on fire and had a pretty good relaxing couple hours around a bon fire. So, all in all I'm calling it a win!

                So after all that atrocious food yesterday, the scales only went UP 1.6 lbs. Not bad!

                So back to the steak and eggs today.

                Hope everyone enjoys their carbs today and lets try to do better than I didn in keeping it mostly Primal! HA
                Oh, man! Clearly your cravings are different from mine. Here's what I craved for my break-steak:



                grapefruit
                cutie
                kimchi
                smoked salmon

                Rest day.

                Results so far:
                Down 2.2 pounds
                Lost 1/2" around the waist, 1/2" around the hips, 1/4" around the thighs. Wearing a size smaller jeans. Looking really trim. Some of that excess flesh seems to be disappearing.
                Last edited by eKatherine; 05-05-2013, 06:58 AM.

                Comment


                • I am planning on doing this.... Steak and Eggs are my favorite foods to eat.... But I have never made them my exclusive source of food...it is going to be divine. My question is, I will likely go to Costco and buy a slab of steak that was probably fed corn ($$$$ cheaper than grass fed)...should I supplement heavy with OMEGA-3s (to avoid inflammation)?

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by pnb2005 View Post
                    I am planning on doing this.... Steak and Eggs are my favorite foods to eat.... But I have never made them my exclusive source of food...it is going to be divine. My question is, I will likely go to Costco and buy a slab of steak that was probably fed corn ($$$$ cheaper than grass fed)...should I supplement heavy with OMEGA-3s (to avoid inflammation)?
                    I didn't. If you want to supplement, I'd say supplement lightly.

                    Comment


                    • My husband found London Broil on sale so I have half a week's worth of steak now. Today I'm going to garden all day again, and go for a long walk. I'm trying to increase weight on my overhead squats today; trying to set a daily goal of some sort for myself.

                      navajo, you're still way ahead of the game. You had a great first week.

                      jackson, I loved your Friday Success Story. You look amazing.
                      be the hair that knots with my hair
                      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                      primal since oct. 1, 2012

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by jackson44 View Post
                        Canuck416:

                        Really enjoying your discussion here and glad you like the article I sent you on "steak/eggs." I did this diet when I was in my 20's. So I disagree with that comment that only "talented" people with good bodies ate this way.

                        I used to train at World gym in the 80's. It was very common back then to train and go to "Zucky's Diner" and order steak/eggs. Every once in while, Vince Gironda would pop in. What a character that guy was. A head of his time. Hated carbs and would always talk about eating liver and cream. If you are a Zane fan, he looked his best about two month before a contest. He doesn't look it when he's on stage, but man, was he huge before he started to diet down! Very impressive.

                        If you are interested in old time bodybuilding history check out "Smoke and mirrors" by Randy Roach or listen to some of his podcast. Lots of info how those guys used to eat. Rick Drasin has very cool show on the old timers as well on youtube. I'll try to find the one where he talks about steak/eggs.


                        Also, I wrote my transformation story in this Friday's edition of MDA. It's called "Free at 50". I think you might like it. I figure us older guys got to stick together!

                        Looking forward to see you progress on this diet!
                        I loved your Free at 50 transformation story! Thanks for posting. The Rick Drasin video's on Youtube are a hoot and fun to watch if you are into old body building history, great stuff. Really glad to hear you are following the thread. Thanks for participating!
                        Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

                        https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by pnb2005 View Post
                          I am planning on doing this.... Steak and Eggs are my favorite foods to eat.... But I have never made them my exclusive source of food...it is going to be divine. My question is, I will likely go to Costco and buy a slab of steak that was probably fed corn ($$$$ cheaper than grass fed)...should I supplement heavy with OMEGA-3s (to avoid inflammation)?
                          Its important to remember this is a one month trial and not a long term diet strategy, something to help jump start your fat loss and get past sticking points. I think that ultimately it is more important to eat pastured, free range, organic and local as much as possible. Striving to eat foods that meet that criteria trumps steak when it comes to budget considerations over the long hall.
                          Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

                          https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

                          Comment


                          • Carb refeed day! I baked a yam and mixed it with white rice for breakfast, tasted real good! Going to have it again for lunch along with a big salad and salmon. I'm really craving fruit today, so far I've already had an organic organge, apple and banana and I'll probably have some grapes and melon later. Dinner tonight will be another big salad, gluten free spaghetti with homemade marinara sauce and lean bison, some good Sonoma red wine and dark chocolate. Yum!
                            Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

                            https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by canuck416 View Post
                              Its important to remember this is a one month trial and not a long term diet strategy, something to help jump start your fat loss and get past sticking points. I think that ultimately it is more important to eat pastured, free range, organic and local as much as possible. Striving to eat foods that meet that criteria trumps steak when it comes to budget considerations over the long hall.
                              I'm going to disagree. As you said, this is short term. The nutritional differences between grass fed and corn fed cattle are significant, but they're also important for long term health concerns rather than short term. The steak and eggs diet works primarily because it's zero carb, high protein, and high fat. Sure, it's possible that 4-5% of the diet's efficacy comes from some sort of beefy magic that other protein sources can't match, but I kinda doubt it. To adhere to the steak and eggs diet is to get the 70s bodybuilding experience and enjoy the fat loss benefits of a cyclical ketogenic diet. Any further benefits of switching from grain fed Costco steak to grass fed gourmet meat would be, in my opinion, insignificant.
                              I'm a weak man...If I give myself a few feet of leeway, I burst through all of my prohibitions.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by CavemanJoe View Post
                                So is this a good way to lose fat or just to build muscle? Steak is too expensive so I'll have to make do with mince and cheaper cuts!
                                Both. An important part of this month's strategy is to burn fat by building muscle, increasing testosterone and increasing your metabolic rate. There are several links posted in the thread that talk about this and are worth a read. Cheaper cuts are fine if you are on a budget, you could call your version the red meat and eggs diet
                                Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

                                https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X