Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Birthday Party and Carbs - will it derail my efforts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it depends on how your individual mind works. If you're the type of person who falls into the trap of thinking that because you went off plan/diet for one meal, you might as well make a day/weekend of it, then it might derail you for a bit. If you're the type of person who figures one off-plan meal is no big deal and you get right back on the horse (or beef as the case may be), then go for it.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Gosh, thank you for all the responses and advice! I have a lot to learn still. I am going to make sure I fill up on dinner, then maybe have a bite or two. I'm sure I won't want the whole cake, but I put a lot of time and effort in, so I want to taste it! I did not know that there were ways to make cakes primal or paleo! I will be looking into that today, as our anniversary is next month. Thanks also for the info on refeeds. I'm not VLC so I guess I don't need to do that at all?

Before primal I was fit, but "cheated" every Saturday. I already don't feel like I need or want to do that anymore, so I will enjoy the cake and move on. I REALLY appreciate the encouragement. You guys are awesome!
      SW: 120 lbs
      CW: 116 lbs
      GW: 105 lbs
      I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...

Comment

Should only set you back a couple days at most, maybe not at all. It is a very slippery slope though..

Comment

No, you shouldn't have to refeed if you're eating 50-100g of carbs per day, unless you're doing a lot of exercise strenuous enough to deplete your glycogen stores. Most exercise, including weight training, isn't enough to necessitate refeeding.

To give you an example, I eat around 75g of carbs or so per day from fruit and tubers. I weight train 3x/week, do one strenuous metcon once a week and other light activity throughout. I usually feel great at my carb level. Every once in a great while I'll feel really drained after my metcon and will eat an extra banana or a sweet potato. Not enough to be considered a true "refeed" but it gives me plenty of a boost to feel better.

Enjoy the party!

Comment

For me, the best thing to do would be to pass on the cake and other nonprimal foods. Indulgences can quickly get out of hand and you're back where you started from. Over the past 16 months, I have sorted out a lot of minor health issues and gotten my weight to where I want it for the first time in my adult life. And I did it by being very strict about no cheats. That said, the lure of sugar and wheat is almost nonexistent now, so I don't credit myself with willpower. I just stay focused.

Comment

For many dieters, their downfall is not an occasional meal when they go off-plan and sample goodies, then immediately go back on. Rather, it is the size and frequency of these indulgences, as well as how easily they are able to go back on plan. Someone who slips back into their old eating habits for one day each week and consumes several times their normal intake, then goes on a 2 day binge is not really committed to losing weight.

So how often will occasions come up that you feel you have no choice but to eat substantial quantities of things you know you shouldn't eat? I would say that the fact that you yourself baked a cake you knew was not on your plan (when you probably could have found a semi-primal substitute) and then felt like you have no choice but to eat it is not necessarily a good sign.

But see how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by jennf View Post
                Since you're just starting out I wanted to point out that a refeed should not be used as an excuse to eat whatever crap you want. Refeeds are about replenishing carbs and it makes the most sense to do it as healthfully as possible (tubers, maybe some white rice, etc.) and only if you've been very low carb.

That being said, if you want the cake, eat the cake! It's not a huge deal and it doesn't mean that you're failing at being primal. As Robb Wolf has said, this is not a religion. You aren't going to hell for making a choice to eat some junk. Enjoy it, move on, and don't sweat it. I also wouldn't weigh yourself for a couple days. You'll likely gain some temporary water weight and there's no sense in obsessing about a blip on the scale.
                I agree with all of this! Eat the cake if you want, and don't obsess about it. I have days or meals where I do NOT eat paleo/primally. It's usually if I'm having dinner at a friend's, birthdays, vacation etc... I just make sure I get right back on track. You might feel like crap after... I know I usually do. I always notice though that the more I cheat, the less I WANT to cheat. I found that I do not like sweet things as much anymore and they don't taste as good to me as they used to, so in time, you might feel like this too.

Have fun!

Comment

Well, I ate the cake. Ice cream too. At first I felt like, "ok, that wasn't so bad, no big deal."

And then it was a big deal, as I kept munching on things. It seems like it turned on a switch! So I overloaded on bleh foods today and I feel bleh physically and mentally and am beating myself up for it. Lesson learned. I fail at cheats. =/
                  SW: 120 lbs
                  CW: 116 lbs
                  GW: 105 lbs
                  I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...

Comment

Yeah, for some people, one cheat item can trigger a whole binge. Learn from your experience.
                    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

Originally posted by EmmettsMommy View Post
                      Well, I ate the cake. Ice cream too. At first I felt like, "ok, that wasn't so bad, no big deal."

And then it was a big deal, as I kept munching on things. It seems like it turned on a switch! So I overloaded on bleh foods today and I feel bleh physically and mentally and am beating myself up for it. Lesson learned. I fail at cheats. =/
                      It's okay! Today is a new day. Just pick yourself up and start over. One day is not a big deal! Don't let food become the enemy, just make choices that make you feel good more often than not

Comment

Working...
                      X