No announcement yet.

Who's joining me? Very Low Carb - Low Protein - Support Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yeah when I "cheat" these days it's to have a few berries but I never, never eat grains or beans of any kind. If I think of eating them I think about the gut inflammation and then the feeling passes.

Comment

• Thanks for the recipe! They look good!

Today went well. I had coffee with double cream when I woke up and then pork with a few veggies for lunch and bacon and guac (I piled the guac on the bacon-yum!) for dinner.

On top of doing this I have to be careful with histamine levels and cheese and avocados are high in histamine but as I'm not eating so many other things like vinegar (in anything), pickles, fermented veggies (LOVE kimchi but it makes me super sick),seafood (not often) etc I think so far my body is handling it ok. Plus I won't do avocados everyday.

I have to say it is because of this fabulous forum that I even found out about my histamine issues. A woman had complained that even though she was eating primal she was still having so many problems...her issues were similar to mine and someone suggested she look into the role of histamine. Well it has changed my life! I was so sick last year on and off and it was basically related to the fact that most things I ate were high in histamine or were histamine releasers . It certainly makes eating more challenging....gluten free, low histamine and now ketogenic but it is worth it as I felt like crap! I just wish I had access to some of the fabulous things that are available in Canada and the States. Oh well....at least things have gotten better since I moved here 15 years ago! I couldn't even find a red onion when I first moved here and now there is Costco, online meat shops, other foreign food shops etc. It is much better so I have to be grateful for that.

Comment

• Originally posted by sofiajp View Post
        Thanks for the recipe! They look good!

Today went well. I had coffee with double cream when I woke up and then pork with a few veggies for lunch and bacon and guac (I piled the guac on the bacon-yum!) for dinner.

On top of doing this I have to be careful with histamine levels and cheese and avocados are high in histamine but as I'm not eating so many other things like vinegar (in anything), pickles, fermented veggies (LOVE kimchi but it makes me super sick),seafood (not often) etc I think so far my body is handling it ok. Plus I won't do avocados everyday.

I have to say it is because of this fabulous forum that I even found out about my histamine issues. A woman had complained that even though she was eating primal she was still having so many problems...her issues were similar to mine and someone suggested she look into the role of histamine. Well it has changed my life! I was so sick last year on and off and it was basically related to the fact that most things I ate were high in histamine or were histamine releasers . It certainly makes eating more challenging....gluten free, low histamine and now ketogenic but it is worth it as I felt like crap! I just wish I had access to some of the fabulous things that are available in Canada and the States. Oh well....at least things have gotten better since I moved here 15 years ago! I couldn't even find a red onion when I first moved here and now there is Costco, online meat shops, other foreign food shops etc. It is much better so I have to be grateful for that.
        yep, I never knew about this histamine thing until recently. I don't seem to have that problem. Apparently leftovers have a lot of histamine in them also?

I'm experimenting again with astaxanthin. I think I stopped taking it because I thought it was causing cramping but not sure that it was the culprit. I have had dry cracked heels for years and nothing has seemed to help, and it may be getting a tad better this way. So I'm back trying that.

Ate a few cherries today...

Comment

• Richard not sure if you would want to try this but after a bath or shower and your feet are still slightly damp you should try putting jojoba oil on them-massage the oil in. 100% jojoba. You will need to wear slippers or risk getting the floor oily and you slipping but the oil will quickly be absorbed. Jojoba is amazing...if you do this after every shower/bath while your feet are still a bit damp it will help. I use it on my face, my feet, elbows etc. I would be shocked if it doesn't help.

As for histamine yes, leftovers are a big no no! But everyone is different so it is by trial and error. It is explained using the idea of a bucket. Once your bucket is full then the symptoms start up. If you keep your bucket only partly full then less symptoms. It is impossible to be histamine free as the act of digesting releases histamine and it is important in the body. It's just that some of us can't handle too much. I remember dipping some food in a sauce with rice vinegar, tamari and sesame oil and my lower lip suddenly started swelling! yeah...that ain't normal! All 3 of those items are high in histamine. I noticed that my body pains have disappeared so it is worth doing!

Comment

• When you're talking about histamine, are you talking about general allergies? I'm just curious about that.
            Georgette

Comment

• Hi Georgette!

No I'm not talking about regular allergies per se. I had no idea about any of this either until I started researching it after reading about it here on the forums. It is called "HIT" Histamine Intolerance. The thing with this condition is that it affects people differently. histamine is throughout our bodies so it seems to jump around causing havoc. I was having all kinds of body aches, lots of sinus troubles, sore throat, swelling in my ankles, a skin rash that would not go away for more than 12 years, my bottom lip would swell sometimes after eating, my anxiety levels were really high, heart palpitations, trouble sleeping, craving the foods that bothered me most (in terms of histamine), I was losing my hair etc etc.

It turns out that for whatever reason some of use just can't tolerate too much histamine and the problem is it is in many many foods, in the air around us as well as that fact that our bodies produce it. I started reading some sites http://lowhistaminediet.com/ and My Story 1: Broken, Swollen Joints | Low Amine Recipes (she actually avoids all amines not just histamine but her story is so amazing and I could relate to much of it, Histamine Intolerance - Allergy UK and it just made so much sense.

Going primal I started really upping, without knowing, my intake of high histamine foods lots of nuts, tomatoes, pumpkin, avocados, vinegar containing sauces (which I made myself), spinach etc etc. I was getting sicker and sicker. So now I'm very careful to not to eat too much and cause the "bucket" to overflow. Eating super low carb actually helps me. I also don't eat leftovers as the histamine levels are super high.

I get jealous sometimes when people talk about eating kimchi, drinking kombucha or bone broth, eating pickles, olives etc. But for me at least it just isn't worth it. I suppose 1 pickle wouldn't really hurt me but I actually crave those foods so I doubt I could eat them in moderation.

When i do have problems, an antihistamine can help but I just hate to have to rely on them. And I was feeling old and miserable and an antihistamine can only do so much!

here is a bit from a site that I read :

It should be noted that allergy tests measuring IgE levels, such as skin prick testing and specific IgE blood tests for these foods will be negative. This is because reactions to histamine are not caused by an IgE food allergy – the cause is histamine intolerance.

Diagnosis of histamine intolerance is usually made by a person trialling a low-histamine diet for a couple of weeks, and seeing if their symptoms improve. Blood tests that claim to be helpful in measuring levels of histamine or the level of the enzyme that normally breaks histamine down are not reliable.

Treatment consists of avoiding histamine-rich foods but only to the level that is required by an individual. The amount of histamine rich foods tolerated will vary from person to person. Taking a regular antihistamine is often helpful.

Ok I'm rambling a bit but hope that makes some sense and didn't just confuse you more!
              Last edited by sofiajp; 07-05-2013, 08:02 AM.

Comment

• Not at all Sofia. That actually helped quite a bit. The only foods I've found that I need to avoid are products that contain gluten. I end up with quite a bit of body aches, achy joints, and cold/numbness on fingers and toes.

I've noticed that I didn't eat enough fat yesterday. I'm eating my lunch right now as I am hungry. I feel my sour mood slipping. I'm running over to the grocery at lunch so I may pick up a small caprese salad to eat later.
                Georgette

Comment

• Oh I hope you feel better soon!

Yes, avoiding gluten helps me too but more with gastro problems - bloating etc. I really thought that just eating primal would fix the rest but it actually got worse for a while. At least I figured it out!

I noticed something today. It is very hot and humid here in Japan and I was running around this morning and I knew I was thirsty but I was suddenly really really craving sweets but after I drank some water, my craving went away! Thank goodness cause I was really going crazy!

But I did end up making (way later after the crazy feelings went away) the chocolate butter. Not sure if mine turned out right in that it is in layers with the butter one top but OMG....very yummy! And I used regular butter not unsalted so it is salty and not too sweet and creamy ....just delicious but so rich you don't want to eat too much!

Have you made it? I know some people make things with coconut oil...I have a paleo cookbook that makes a kind of "bark" with coconut oil and chocolate chips and stuff but I can't eat too much coconut oil and I love butter anyway!

Comment

• Yeah the chocolate butter will separate a bit if you can't cool it quickly. Tastes great, anyway!
                    Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
                    Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
                    Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

• I have not tried chocolate butter as of yet. I just realized something. If I make chocolate butter, my ice cube trays will be used for things other than ice. We just buy bags of ice for the house. I have one tray filled with pumpkin for doggie treats.
                      Georgette

Comment

• Oh it tastes amazing! I'm thinking next time I will just make in a flat pan and cut into shapes cause they really don't want to come out of the ice cube trays!

Comment

• yesterday I went to a cookout. I ate a bunch of incredibly rich artichoke spinach dip and guacamole and a bit of cheese. Then a burger and a bunch of salad with a fantastic anchovy dressing. No dessert at all. I didn't feel deprived or hungry and I didn't want dessert.

Before that I had eaten some cherries, not a huge amount, just a handful, and felt good. And some salami and cheese, and nuts.

It's nice to eat this way and not feel cravings.

Comment

• Salami and raw milk cheese, some nuts, and for dinner, frozen wild salmon and a salad with herb avocado dressing. Some nuts here and there -- pistachios and almonds. Also had about 10 cherries and 15 grapes, and a few teaspoons of honey in cocoa butter with vanilla. I have to say, the small amount of fruit made me feel good. Figure 35g of carbs maybe for the whole thing, not vlc but not bad either for today.

Today I'm back to ketogenic levels of carbs...

Comment

• I'm one of those people that lose weight with 30 and under grams of carbs a day. The more carbs I eat, the more likely it is that I gain.

Food for today:
                              4 sausage patties and one whole egg and 2 yolks scrambled with a bulletproof coffee. Some pepperonis and spinach dip and dinner should kebabs with creamy cauliflower risotto
                              Georgette

Comment

• Originally posted by RittenRemedy
                                To be honest it's probably not that different from an eskimo diet. Seal fat and oily fish, kind of like a modern Stephenson. (correct me, I'm wrong... A little too much 20% mixed with a sudden change in work schedules and I can't sleep it off)

Sometimes I feel that, especially when following a whole9 or old school paleo (lipid hypothesis) diet, people are consuming way too much protein anyway. Really we can't store it, so other than bodybuilding there is no need to eat four pounds of grass fed beef a day; that is just a waste of expensive animal. I find I am quite happy with 70-80 grams a day, which given around 100 grams of carb to balance out the cardio oriented army PT, still has about 55% fats. With that, if I dip below 60 grams protein or 50 grams carbs I stop loosing weight.
                                I am really happy being in the 70g or protein or thereabouts a day. I don't measure but I don't find myself eating large amounts of protein anymore. I'll order a steak and bring some home. I get clear "I'm full" signals now as I'm eating so I don't overeat as I used to.

It's a new thing for me lately to introduce some carbs in the form of a little fruit etc. I am being very careful as I'm still not 6 or 8 months into this and feel that a binge would be all too easy.

Comment

Working...
                                X