Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's joining me? Very Low Carb - Low Protein - Support Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Chocolate butter courtesy of Peter @ Hyperlipid:

    One 100gm chocolate bar (85% or 90%), One 250gm block of economy butter, 45ml double cream, 15 or 30ml honey and some vanilla. Melt, pour in to an ice cube tray, freeze, pop out of tray while frozen, keep in fridge until consumed, not very long...

    It partly settles out unless you are very careful with temperatures but tastes none the worse for that.
    Limeade is just a liter of water with a lime squeezed into it, sometimes very lightly sweetened with simple syrup.
    Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
    Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
    Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

    Comment


    • Chocolate butter courtesy of Peter @ Hyperlipid:

      One 100gm chocolate bar (85% or 90%), One 250gm block of economy butter, 45ml double cream, 15 or 30ml honey and some vanilla. Melt, pour in to an ice cube tray, freeze, pop out of tray while frozen, keep in fridge until consumed, not very long...

      It partly settles out unless you are very careful with temperatures but tastes none the worse for that.
      If you melt the chocolate and allow it to cool to room temperature, and have the butter at room temperature, they will blend together into a wonderfully smooth material with the texture of mayonnaise at room temperature. It will not separate, and will chill to the texture of butter.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
        If you melt the chocolate and allow it to cool to room temperature, and have the butter at room temperature, they will blend together into a wonderfully smooth material with the texture of mayonnaise at room temperature. It will not separate, and will chill to the texture of butter.
        Actually, I had no problem with melting the butter first, then adding the chocolate & everything else. Maybe because there is soy lecithin in my chocolate bar.

        I did add too much cream though, so I kept my first batch in the freezer!

        These are waaaaay too moreish, so I will be making them once a month instead of weekly.
        Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
        Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
        Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Dragonfly View Post
          Meh. I don't argue with religious zealots. I've put Choco and Derp on my "ignore" list
          Choco and Derp?

          Comment


          • Originally posted by sting View Post
            Choco and Derp?
            ChocoTaco and Derpamix.
            Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
            Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
            Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

            Comment


            • Breaky was butter tea and 3 eggs with leftover bacon and a ton of butter.

              Butter is the theme.

              I am so not hungry. I also ate about a cup of pistachios.

              Vitamin D3 - 50,000 units a day

              I wanted to talk about my massive consumption of Vitamin D3. 50,000 units a day, with some A and 4mg of K3 (mk 4) is for my tendon injury. I think it is getting much better WAY faster than the doctor or I ever thought. So I think it is working. I will lower the dose at some point in perhaps a month or so.

              Comment


              • Hey Richard

                Regarding your Vit D intake, i never questioned the amount you were taking more the difference between countries USA vs AUS, its amazing how a lot of the professionals are suggesting 4000 or 10000 while others are suggesting 1000 and sometimes 2000 tops in Australia, weird that they can be so different with suggested doses from one country to another, that's all.

                Comment


                • Ps that Dr Cate link you posted yesterday is interesting she seems to make quite a bit of sense, and seems to think outside the box, has some interesting reads.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by richard View Post
                    Vitamin D3 - 50,000 units a day

                    I wanted to talk about my massive consumption of Vitamin D3. 50,000 units a day, with some A and 4mg of K3 (mk 4) is for my tendon injury. I think it is getting much better WAY faster than the doctor or I ever thought. So I think it is working. I will lower the dose at some point in perhaps a month or so.
                    See, I knew you had a good reason!
                    Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
                    Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
                    Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

                    Comment


                    • Hiked 1.5 hours this morning, breakfast at 12:30!

                      Steak and eggs, limeade, chocolate butter
                      Raw cheddar slices with freshly made almond/pumpkin seed pesto
                      (My DH is always trying to get me to eat green things, lol!
                      Last edited by Dragonfly; 06-13-2013, 04:45 PM.
                      Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
                      Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
                      Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by richard View Post
                        Does VLC cause thyroid problems? This is something I haven't adequately researched.

                        This is interesting on that subject:

                        http://drcate.com/going-low-carb-too...one-imbalance/
                        "Trigger" is a better word than cause

                        Originally posted by Dragonfly View Post
                        Nice article, Richard. I'll see if I can find links to the other articles I've read that about thyroid and vlc. IIRC, the thyroid will naturally down-regulate with lower carbs, but it is not pathological, contrary to all the scare stories you read here.

                        I was already low carb when I went vlc the first time. My only issue then was lack of energy, since I was also over-restricting calories. I suspect some folk may have this experience and think they are hypothyroid.
                        Dragonfly, what do you mean by it not being pathological? Do you mean "not caused by"?

                        If the thyroid does "down-regulate with lower carbs" then do you believe there is a connection between hypothyroidism and low carb?

                        Genuinely curious: not trying to cause conflict!
                        Last edited by YogaBare; 06-13-2013, 08:43 PM.
                        "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

                        In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

                        - Ray Peat

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
                          "Trigger" is a better word than cause

                          Dragonfly, what do you mean by it not being pathological? Do you mean "not caused by"?

                          If the thyroid does "down-regulate with lower carbs" then do you believe there is a connection between hypothyroidism and low carb?
                          Better yet would be "cause to come to light". People who already have undiagnosed thyroid issues tend to do poorly on VLC and thus their issues are brought to the attention of them and their doctor. These problems were already there. The stress of any diet program would be difficult for a compromised thyroid. Going back to carbs seems to make the symptoms go away, mask them temporarily, but if one really has a damaged thyroid, it needs a doctor's care.

                          VLC causes the thyroid to down-regulate but this is not pathological at all (as in not harmful or dangerous, just a normal body regulation). It is just that, with less glucose to process, the body does not need as much thyroid hormone. This down-regulation does not cause any damage and, if one started eating carbs again, it bounces right back.

                          This is referred to as "physiological" as opposed to "pathological" thyroid down-regulation.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                            Better yet would be "cause to come to light". People who already have undiagnosed thyroid issues tend to do poorly on VLC and thus their issues are brought to the attention of them and their doctor. These problems were already there. The stress of any diet program would be difficult for a compromised thyroid. Going back to carbs seems to make the symptoms go away, mask them temporarily, but if one really has a damaged thyroid, it needs a doctor's care.

                            VLC causes the thyroid to down-regulate but this is not pathological at all (as in not harmful or dangerous, just a normal body regulation). It is just that, with less glucose to process, the body does not need as much thyroid hormone. This down-regulation does not cause any damage and, if one started eating carbs again, it bounces right back.

                            This is referred to as "physiological" as opposed to "pathological" thyroid down-regulation.
                            +10000
                            Beautifully explained, PB!
                            Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
                            Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
                            Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

                            Comment


                            • Doesn'it sound obvious ? If there is less nutrients coming in (aka low carbs), why ramp up the metabolic rate with MORE T3 ?? The thyroid (and before that the pituitary gland and even before that some other brain mechanism linked to gut and stomach and whatnot) will ADAPT to what you eat. These are smart things unless they are broken.

                              I personally went VLC and it did not change dick with how I felt (fatigue vs energy, hands and feet temperature, feeling warm or cold, etc) because my thyroid has never been broken. Only my insulin (therefore pancreas and incidentally liver) started to show issues with time.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by richard View Post
                                lol
                                I use a 50K/capsule formula. Yeah, exactly.
                                ...perhaps this has been covered, but it sounds like you're using vitamin D2 (ergocalciferol), versus the more preferred form vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol)? Correct me if I'm wrong...hebs

                                The case against ergocalciferol (vitamin D2) as a vitamin supplement

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X