Who's joining me? Very Low Carb - Low Protein - Support Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sting View Post
    Dragonfly I was restricting calories also 1500 - 1700 per day compared to my previous starvation diets which were about 1100 1200 per day but lots f salds and veggies which is not a lot of calories for me since i am pretty obese.

I started VLC again Friday

Protein 20%
    Carbs 5% or less

and the rest from Fat but not counting calories this time.
    Yeah, I wouldn't count calories. The aim is to get leptin sensitive again, and I think VLC and limited protein will do this quickly. Eat a lot of fat, as much as you can. I think you'll find your weight starts going away and you won't be hungry either.

Comment

• Originally posted by richard View Post
      1. A pulled tendon. I'm taking 50,000 IUs of D3 per day and K2 and A with that and it's gotten WAY better much faster than I or my doctor ever predicted.
      Wait let me understand this right unless we have different type of bottles or something

Normal doses for Ostelin Vitamin D which also is names on at the front of the bottle (vitamin D3 1000IU) is 1 a day, so does this mean your taking 50 of these a day?

Comment

Wait let me understand this right unless we have different type of bottles or something

Normal doses for Ostelin Vitamin D which also is names on at the front of the bottle (vitamin D3 1000IU) is 1 a day, so does this mean your taking 50 of these a day?
        lol
        I use a 50K/capsule formula. Yeah, exactly.

Comment

• so its the same thing as popping 50 a day? confusing because i was told to take 2 x 1000IU a day and than drop back to 1 after a few months Hmm

Comment

so its the same thing as popping 50 a day? confusing because i was told to take 2 x 1000IU a day and than drop back to 1 after a few months Hmm
            Richard takes a lot more than the recommended range. I'm sure he has his reasons...

Australia only sells the 1000 IUs, for some reason. We can get much higher dosages here in the States.

The recommended range by the Vitamin D Council is 5,000-10,000 IUs per day. It all depends on your sun exposure, of course!

At first, I needed to take 12,000 IUs per day because I was so depleted when I lived in the Pac NW of the States. Now I maintain at 6,000 IUs in the summer/fall, 8,000 IUs in winter/spring.

The only way to know how much to take is to get your D3 blood level tested. The optimal range is 50-60 ng/ml. LOTS of info on the D Council website I referenced above.
            Last edited by Dragonfly; 06-12-2013, 11:21 AM.
            Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
            Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
            Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

• Originally posted by Dragonfly View Post
              Nice article, Richard. I'll see if I can find links to the other articles I've read that about thyroid and vlc. IIRC, the thyroid will naturally down-regulate with lower carbs, but it is not pathological, contrary to all the scare stories you read here.

I was already low carb when I went vlc the first time. My only issue then was lack of energy, since I was also over-restricting calories. I suspect some folk may have this experience and think they are hypothyroid.

This time, no issues at all since I am not counting calories. I am doing a 16/8 IF to help my body drop a few last pounds. Painless and plenty of energy!
              Great. Now please tell Choco to stop posting that nonsense.

I really do think that a lot of cases of "failed" VLC experiment were really people who just went too low on total calorie intake and, very understandably, felt like death on a Triscuit.

ETA: Just went back and read the article Ricard posted. Very interesting. I think we can learn a lot from our omnivorous bear cousins.
              Dr Cate's theory would also explain why it seems to be the seriously hard core sugar/carb fiends that have the worst carb flu. They are like the bears she describes gorging on berries right before hibernation season. Personally I never had any carb flu but I never had much of a sweet tooth. My "vices" were always more of the greasy fried sort like onion rings.
              Last edited by Paleobird; 06-12-2013, 01:58 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                Great. Now please tell Choco to stop posting that nonsense.
                Meh. I don't argue with religious zealots. I've put Choco and Derp on my "ignore" list so I can stay on the forum and keep my cortisol down.

That said, I may start a "Myths about VLC" thread, once I get all the relevant links sorted.
                Last edited by Dragonfly; 06-12-2013, 04:17 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dragonfly View Post
                  Meh. I don't argue with religious zealots. I've put Choco and Derp on my "ignore" list so I can stay on the forum and keep my cortisol down.

That said, I may start a "Myths about VLC" thread, once I get all the relevant links sorted.
                  Good plan. I would be happy to help with that thread.

Comment

• Originally posted by MarissaLinnea View Post
                    I'll also add though that I'm now supplementing with B12 and D3. Hoping it helps.
                    Marissa try reading "the mood cure". I forget the author but its a great read. I wish you the best. Depression is a bitch.

Rick Gold

Comment

• a few slices of thick wonderful bacon, and some leftover duck curry and I was set all day. Man this is great.

Tonight it's a small piece of fresh fish with a ton of herb butter and leftover cauliflower in a green salad. Probably 50g of protein today, maybe 60g. Doing awesome.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rickyg25 View Post
                        Marissa try reading "the mood cure". I forget the author but its a great read. I wish you the best. Depression is a bitch.

Rick Gold
                        Julia Ross. I haven't read it but I've heard good things about it from NamelessWonder.

Comment

Good plan. I would be happy to help with that thread.
                          Sounds great! I'll add it to my list.

Comment

• Today's food:
                            Duck eggs and sausage, fried in lard. Tea w/cream.
                            Cheese, chocolate butter, limeade
                            Grassfed hotdogs w/ketchup and mayo.

I had the pre-menstrual munchies today. A bit bloated, but otherwise feeling good.

Comment

Julia Ross. I haven't read it but I've heard good things about it from NamelessWonder.
                              Bingo!

Comment

• what are

chocolate butter, limeade

Dragonfly?

Comment

Working...
                                X