Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's joining me? Very Low Carb - Low Protein - Support Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by MarissaLinnea View Post
    Woke this morning with an absolute SPLITTING headache. Had to take some Aleve, couldn't deal with this one with no medication. Wondering why the horrible headache though. Carb flu?
    This happens to me when I am not eating enough salt. Some salt under my tongue helped yesterday when I was feeling headachey. Otherwise, I drink some liberally salted bone broth.
    Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
    Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
    Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

    Comment


    • Marissa, I had a TERRIBLE headache this morning too. Had to take ibuprofen. MAybe related to bad allergies and residual inflammation in my body...allergies were HORRIBLE for me this morning, a nightmare.

      Same thing happened last year...and by summer I was fine.
      Last edited by richard; 05-30-2013, 02:59 PM.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by richard View Post
        Marissa, I had a TERRIBLE headache this morning too. Had to take ibuprofen. MAybe related to bad allergies and residual inflammation in my body...allergies were HORRIBLE for me this morning, a nightmare.

        Same thing happened last year...and by summer I was fine.
        So sorry to hear that. Mine is still going, I've tried a few different things, nothing is working. Starting to feel like a migraine. If that's the case then it will be around for about 12 hours or so. That's how long mine usually last.

        Comment


        • I had two helpings of butter tea this morning, then nothing until 1pm when I had an avocado, a bit of ham and a bit of salami. Plus about 40 pistachios later on. Now it's dinner and we're having fish and salad. Probably ending up to be a low protein day, 35g or so perhaps.

          Had a very difficult day with work and feel upset about all that. But one thing I notice is I'm not nearly as emotional and it doesn't affect me nearly as it used to.

          Comment


          • Had my version of a "carb up". Won't do it again; immediate bloat, probably from the banana.

            B: salmon salad with olives, banana chocolate cream pudding
            L: cottage cheese and banana chocolate cream pudding
            D: pork tacos, glass of red wine
            Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
            Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
            Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

            Comment


            • Maybe low protein might be ok

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Dragonfly View Post
                Had my version of a "carb up". Won't do it again; immediate bloat, probably from the banana.

                B: salmon salad with olives, banana chocolate cream pudding
                L: cottage cheese and banana chocolate cream pudding
                D: pork tacos, glass of red wine
                Banana chocolate cream pudding!

                I'd be fine with it without the bananas, which I don't like. It's funny how we just like or don't like things. No real reason for it. How we're made I guess. I do love plantains. Do you find these give you problems?

                Comment


                • I haven't had plantains for about a year! Super yum, but I imagine these would bloat me, too.

                  I think am just more carb-sensitive than I realized, so it's not the bananas, per se. I looked exactly like I have for the past 2 years on 70-100 gms. Until I dropped my carbs, I had no idea how much water weight I was carrying.

                  I ate ~ 70 gm of carbs yesterday. Back down to under 20 so far today and feeling much lighter.
                  Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
                  Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
                  Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

                  Comment


                  • Last night we went out to dinner. I ordered ribs (glazed in a sugary sauce I'm sure but not too bad) and salad. Replaced fries with brocolli and cauliflower and it was delicious. I couldn't finish more than half the ribs. In the old days I would have consumed everything including fries. As it was, I took almost half the ribs home and they weren't that meaty.

                    I just don't have the appetite I used to, thank goodness.

                    Allergies were bad and I took an anti-histamine, alas. Just no way around it. I'm sleeping less which is good. Probably slept 5 hours which is a good sign in my book.

                    I continue feeling great physically and mentally. What is striking is much greater mental focus. And fewer ups and downs, both emotionally and physically. I can concentrate more easily.

                    It is a HUGE effect. This is why I am not tempted to cheat. That, and I am still trying to figure out how to conquer the remaining inflammation as evidenced by allergies and a bit of stool issues.

                    Comment


                    • Yeah my sleep is pretty up and down during this transition. I still manage to get 8 hours in two chunks. My body gets really hot in the middle of the night, light my fat-burning engine has been turn waaaay up. Getting hot is what wakes me up--and having to pee all the time!

                      Yesterday's food:
                      L: eggs w/pastured bacon, dark chocolate
                      D: cottage cheese w/cream, bacon slice, dark chocolate

                      Yeah, not many calories yesterday--and I wasn't hungry! Maybe 1000-1200.

                      I'm starting to enjoy the taste of ketosis--is that wierd?
                      Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
                      Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
                      Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

                      Comment


                      • Allergies were bad and I took an anti-histamine, alas. Just no way around it. I'm sleeping less which is good. Probably slept 5 hours which is a good sign in my book.

                        I continue feeling great physically and mentally. What is striking is much greater mental focus. And fewer ups and downs, both emotionally and physically. I can concentrate more easily.

                        It is a HUGE effect. This is why I am not tempted to cheat. That, and I am still trying to figure out how to conquer the remaining inflammation as evidenced by allergies and a bit of stool issues.
                        Why would you want to sleep less? I really like the rest and repair time for autophagy and fat-burning.

                        FWIW Richard, my allergies decreased dramatically once I got my D3 blood level high. It took about a year, after getting my level up, but no seasonal allergies at all this spring. I also take 1000 mg of krill oil and 1000mg of C, which may have helped. C has an antihistamine effect.

                        I keep my D3 blood level just above 80 ng/ml, which completely eliminates my asthma symptoms. Takes me 8,000 IUs in winter/spring and 6,000 IUs in summer/fall to achieve this blood level, but D3 is so much cheaper than asthma meds.
                        Last edited by Dragonfly; 06-01-2013, 08:38 AM.
                        Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
                        Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
                        Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Dragonfly View Post
                          Why would you want to sleep less? I really like the rest and repair time for autophagy and fat-burning.

                          FWIW Richard, my allergies decreased dramatically once I got my D3 blood level high. It took about a year, after getting my level up, but no seasonal allergies at all this spring. I also take 1000 mg of krill oil and 1000mg of C, which may have helped. C has an antihistamine effect.

                          I keep my D3 blood level just above 80 ng/ml, which completely eliminates my asthma symptoms. Takes me 8,000 IUs in winter/spring and 6,000 IUs in summer/fall to achieve this blood level, but D3 is so much cheaper than asthma meds.
                          Wow, that's very very interesting. I'm taking D3 every day, quite a bit, 10,000 or 50,000 units a day. Haven't noticed anything that I can point to. I only have seasonal nasal allergies at this point in my life.

                          I don't believe the sleep dogma. If you need less sleep you are healthier, I believe. As you build up to higher and higher levels of health, you breathe less, and sleep less. I hope to get back to 5 hours a night routinely. I was in that before I got seasonal allergies.

                          My levels of inflammation this year at this time are FAR lower than last year though. Perhaps it is the D3, who knows. I know this though because my dental visit was SO easy this time, and last year at this time I had a tougher visit with more inflammation visible and evident in my gums, which are a very good barometer of internal inflammation. My nasal allergies were far worse last year, too.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Dragonfly View Post
                            Yeah my sleep is pretty up and down during this transition. I still manage to get 8 hours in two chunks. My body gets really hot in the middle of the night, light my fat-burning engine has been turn waaaay up. Getting hot is what wakes me up--and having to pee all the time!

                            Yesterday's food:
                            L: eggs w/pastured bacon, dark chocolate
                            D: cottage cheese w/cream, bacon slice, dark chocolate

                            Yeah, not many calories yesterday--and I wasn't hungry! Maybe 1000-1200.

                            I'm starting to enjoy the taste of ketosis--is that wierd?
                            Peeing often...I wonder what that's about...?

                            If you're open to a suggestion, you might try leaving out the chocolate. This has an effect on a lot of people as a "new world' food, sometimes as bad or worse than nightshades. I personally can't tolerate chocolate.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by richard View Post
                              Wow, that's very very interesting. I'm taking D3 every day, quite a bit, 10,000 or 50,000 units a day. Haven't noticed anything that I can point to. I only have seasonal nasal allergies at this point in my life.

                              I don't believe the sleep dogma. If you need less sleep you are healthier, I believe. As you build up to higher and higher levels of health, you breathe less, and sleep less. I hope to get back to 5 hours a night routinely. I was in that before I got seasonal allergies.

                              My levels of inflammation this year at this time are FAR lower than last year though. Perhaps it is the D3, who knows. I know this though because my dental visit was SO easy this time, and last year at this time I had a tougher visit with more inflammation visible and evident in my gums, which are a very good barometer of internal inflammation. My nasal allergies were far worse last year, too.
                              Are you supplementing Magnesium, too? I can't remember from your previous posts. Curious what your blood level is with that much D.
                              Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
                              Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
                              Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by richard View Post
                                Peeing often...I wonder what that's about...?

                                If you're open to a suggestion, you might try leaving out the chocolate. This has an effect on a lot of people as a "new world' food, sometimes as bad or worse than nightshades. I personally can't tolerate chocolate.
                                Oh the peeing is just dropping water weight/electrolyte balancing. I think women may have this more than men due to our hormonal profile.. I started vlc less than a week ago, so I expected this. It will slow down soon.

                                Thanks, Richard! I do fine with dark chocolate, and it is one of my few carb sources, since I am FODMAPS intolerant. I only do 30 g/day, in any case.
                                Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
                                Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
                                Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X