chicken/turkey?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chicken/turkey?

Does anyone here not like chicken or turkey? Its hard for me to eat chicken breast...so dry and bland. I like chicken wings or drums though. Turkey is the same, I made a bunch of turkey burgers but can't get myself to finish them, its so nasty, the smell especially.

Blech. I agree. I don't eat poultry with the exception of wild game birds. Those have some flavor.

Comment

I enjoy them, but consider them less preferable than ruminants or wild fish. And since I buy primarily from pastured, sustainable permaculture farms, the pricing is >>> CAFO crap poultry. So it really is an indulgence. When I do get some good quality chicken or turkey, you can damn well believe it has some flavor, unlike Perdue, Tyson, ad nauseam. Pricing, but also flavor >>> CAFO birdies.

Comment

I like a good roast turkey done by someone who knows what they are doing. But chicken? Bleh.

Give me some roast veal or lamb any day.
        "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

I really only eat them when cooked whole bird style. Especially in the smoker. Mmmmmm. But lets face it real BBQ slow smoking can make shoe leather taste good.

Comment

Originally posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
            When I do get some good quality chicken or turkey, you can damn well believe it has some flavor
            Ditto, my co-op has great local poultry.

There really are two meat industries in the US. There's the assorted interchangeable mystery cubes that chain restaurants and ready-meal manufacturers buy, then there's everything else. Some folks have only tasted the former.
            37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

Originally posted by Lynx33 View Post
              Does anyone here not like chicken or turkey? Its hard for me to eat chicken breast...so dry and bland. I like chicken wings or drums though. Turkey is the same, I made a bunch of turkey burgers but can't get myself to finish them, its so nasty, the smell especially.
              Try chicken thighs. Much better than breast.
              Rebooted Body -- Ancestral Health + Modern Psychology | The Rebooted Body Podcast

Comment

My family prefers the dark meat. I can tolerate breast meat if its been roasted on the bone with the skin on, but boneless-skinless breasts are the skim milk of chicken. Why bother.
                Sandra
                *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

We only eat dark meat when we can get pastured chicken or turkey, definitely has more flavor. I'd love to try duck or goose though. Around here, pastured whole chicken often runs equal to or more per lb than grass fed/finished beef.

Comment

I dunno, I think chicken and turkey are good if you do them right. I love chicken curry especially if you do it right and use a bunch of coconut milk to do it. You can absolutely ruin it though, just fry it and add salt. Blech. Grass fed poultry has nice flavor too, try that.
                    You are an animal on this planet and the rules of engagement are non negotiable.

Comment

It is true that chicken has a bland flavor, particularly the white meat. One of the "good" things about the blandness of white meat is that it takes up the flavors that you cook it in, such as curry, garlic, etc etc. Another thing with white meat is that it does get dry if it is cooked too long. I usually grill chicken breast for the wife because she likes them. I split the breast in half and season it (normally with season salt, garlic and coarse ground pepper), then cook it. 3 minutes, turn 90 degrees to get the "hatch marks", another 3 minutes, flip and repeat. Turns out juicy every time.

Comment

I agree poultry is bland and nasty. The texture is way too chewy, I burn more calories trying to eat a chicken than I ingest from it.

Pls don't eat ducks...
                        Make America Great Again

Comment

I actually like chicken a lot. Slow baked in a clay cooker - it stays moist. Chicken + mushrooms + tomato sauce + parmesan cheese (and garlic, etc.). The carcass makes a nice light broth when beef broth might contribute too much flavor to a dish. I also like it "stir fried" with butter, veggies, and white rice.

I've had duck legs confit, but honestly, the best part of that dish is the fat. It'd be way less expensive to just buy the duck fat and 'confit' chicken legs in it.

Turkey not so much. I can't afford the good ones, so I just don't eat it anymore.
                          "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Fresh local chicken from properly raised sources is amazing, even the breasts are tender and taste great. Some chickens you find in stores is so bland it isn't even worth eating without being smothered in some kind of sauce.
                            Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
                            Pls don't eat ducks...
                            I would never eat duck. I had a pet duck as a child

Comment

Chickens and alike are animal species that we humans have been mistreating SO MUCH for far too long that chicken is very rarely on our plates at home. We do eat chicken when we know for sure that it had an optimal life. But I am all for the eggs, oh yeah, give me eggs

Talking about eggs, here in Denmark, there is a big tradition to eat cod roe (called "torskerogn"). I am not a big fan of it on its own but mixed in an omelet, gently fried in lots of ghee or butter, it is AWESOME!! You get your vitamin and mineral boost in one single giant egg omelet!

Comment

Working...
                              X