Another blood work thread--and I think my TSH is high

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by otzi View Post
    Cleaning up diet and initiating a PB diet and exercise plan cleared me up in under 6 months. Now 3 years later, docs are still amazed, I even had a doctor grilling me and taking notes last week about exactly what I eat and what kind of exercise I do.

I found a term doctors are very receptive to: "Low-carb Mediterranean". Mention "Paleo" or "Primal" and they don't have a clue, but somehow they all understand "LC Med"
    Interesting! At least your docs are willing to learn. (I guess having an impressive real-life success story in front of them helps.) I wish going primal has fixed my problems. Heh! Guess it's just harder when you're female.

My journal

Comment

Right now I suspect the copper IUD that I got at the end of August. The IUD is coming out next week, and I will start worrying about my thyroid if my weight doesn't decrease after that.
      Wait, why would a copper IUD have anything to do with this? It's not the Mirena hormone IUD, is it? If so, you would be onto something. I'm going to hazard that you are hypothyroid at some level and need the most comprehensive panel you can get. I felt truly awful with a TSH of between 2 and 4. Also, I'm going to a good integrative MD tomorrow with some of your same symptoms, even though I've been on 1.5 grains of Armour for four months. She's having me track my temperatures, which are often over a full degree below normal. Maybe your temperatures would provide some guidance?
      Last edited by grokina; 04-24-2013, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by serenity View Post
        Interesting! I wish going primal has fixed my problems. Heh! Guess it's just harder when you're female.
        This is why I hate it when some guy fixes all his problems with diet and exercise and turns it into a 'program' to sell. People follow his advice to the letter and fail, then they make it seem like you 'were doing it wrong' or cheating, lying, whatever.

Diet and exercise are often not enough, especially for women.

I think anyone who is in bad health owes it to themselves to adopt a healthy diet, lifestyle, and exercise program first--then work on the other underlying issues of hormones, genetics, and other medical conditions. Without cleaning up the diet first, you may never get to the root cause.

Comment

Originally posted by grokina View Post
          Wait, why would a copper IUD have anything to do with this? It's not the Mirena hormone IUD, is it? If so, you would be onto something. I'm going to hazard that you are hypothyroid at some level and need the most comprehensive panel you can get. I felt truly awful with a TSH of between 2 and 4. Also, I'm going to a good integrative MD tomorrow with some of your same symptoms, even though I've been on 1.5 grains of Armour for four months. She's having me track my temperatures, which are often over a full degree below normal. Maybe your temperatures would provide some guidance?
          I am planning on charting my temperature. Hopefully that will tell me something.

My theory regarding the copper IUD is this (I copied and pasted this from a something I posted in a different thread):

I did some more research on copper IUDs, and although the exact mechanism of action isn't well understood, it appears that, aside from the spermicidal properties of copper, the IUD itself, as a foreign object, triggers an immune response and causes chronic low-grade inflammation of the endometrium. This makes the endometrium inhospitable to the zygote so that even if some sperm manage to get past the copper and fertilize the egg, the zygote would be unable to implant.

Chronic low-grade inflammation--I guess this would be a scientific explanation for self-reported weight gain by some women who have had copper IUDs inserted. And it makes sense that the degree of immune response, and hence inflammation, would vary from person to person so that only some women experience weight gain. Also, I'm thinking that it wouldn't be entirely impossible for the inflammation to also spread to the lower back--well, maybe that's a stretch. I don't know if I want chronic inflammation in my uterus even if it's asymptomatic.

Edit: I'll let everyone know if I actually lose any weight after getting the thing removed. Currently, I'm still planning on having it removed although every once in a while I change my mind and think that I shouldn't blame my weight gain on the IUD. But I don't think I'll ever be happy until I experiment with the removal. If I don't lose weight within three months of removal, I'll have another one inserted.

Originally posted by otzi View Post
          This is why I hate it when some guy fixes all his problems with diet and exercise and turns it into a 'program' to sell. People follow his advice to the letter and fail, then they make it seem like you 'were doing it wrong' or cheating, lying, whatever.

Diet and exercise are often not enough, especially for women.
          I know, it's really lame. When I first saw the carbohydrate curve, I was so excited. I thought that if I just started eating less than 100 g of carbs a day, I'd lose weight effortlessly. Yeah right! Haha! If only!
          Last edited by diene; 04-24-2013, 11:48 AM.

My journal

Comment

Your TSH is high. You have mild hypothyroidism.

Comment

So I dug out my test results from 2009 (guess it was four years ago, not five, thought the test was from 2008 for some reason). Turns out that my triglycerides were 106 mg/dL back then. It has gone down to 54 mg/dL. So I guess primal eating was good for something--haha!

My TSH was 2.38 mIU/L (which is the same as uIU/mL) in 2009 (2.33 now). So my TSH level has basically stayed the same. Nice to know that my doc back then thought this was fine despite the fact that my thyroid was enlarged. Anyway, at least it hasn't gotten worse, and I definitely can't blame my recent weight problems on my TSH level (could still be my thyroid if something else has gone out of whack--no way to know without getting free T3 tested, I guess).

My journal

Comment

Working...
              X