Getting bored of veggies!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting bored of veggies!

Hey gang, I keep eating the same veggies, mostly because they are quick and easy, ( organic frozen spinach or kale) sometimes I have a salad but I find that the greens go bad in a few days and I may not have time to prepare a salad every day. Any suggestions how i can mix up my veggies and get more in with my meats?

Buy different ones?

Our go-to veggies are onions, tomatoes, kumara, potatoes, carrots, capsicums. Sometimes we have kale/spinach/broccoli/cabbage, but not every week.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Comment

I usually rotate veggies each week. I'll make a big tub of broccoli/ spinach/ asparagus one week, then collard/kale/carrots..etc.usually 3 different vegetables each week keeps me excited long enough. I do the same with the meets too. This week its beef, turkey, and salmon. last week it was sardines, chicken, and lamb. Its easier for me and I dont have to worry about planning.

Comment

Frozen veggie bags....

Some suggest their nutrient profile may even be better than regular veggies that have to travel long distances unfrozen to sit on shelves for days.

Comment

I can't help with the prep time but these are my personal favorites when I'm feeling fancy:

• Raw carrot sticks, celery, radish quarters, and snap peas dipped in seasoned sour cream, guacamole, tahini, or tapenade

• Lettuce, grape tomatoes, cucumber, and red onion with dressing of olive oil, wine vinegar, mustard, and blue cheese

• Zucchini, sliced mushrooms, spinach, and garlic sautéed in butter/olive oil and topped with grated parmesan

• Turnips, asparagus, cauliflower, and red cabbage drizzled with herb butter/olive oil and oven roasted

• Bok choy, red bell pepper, broccoli, and shiitake sautéed in beef fat, dressed with rice vinegar and toasted sesame seeds

• Eggplant, shredded carrot, green beans, white onion, and Thai basil simmered in seasoned coconut milk
          37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

Potatoes should not really be on the list unless you're doing a ton of cardio like running marathons or playing sports for hours on end like pro athletes. And at that it's only sweet potatoes.

In salad... Artichoke hearts, asparagus, smash up some avocados and use it as dressing, a couple walnuts on top. Also if you chop up the salad with salad scissors its a lot better.

Also, grilled eggplant and brussell sprouts (I know sounds nasty) but I actually really like them.

Comment

I eat just about all veggies, including definitely potatoes and sweet potatoes. You don't have to go super low carb. Just low enough to lose any fat you want to lose and keep it off.

You don't absolutely have to eat many veggies, though. One way to get lots of the benefits of them is to use lots of herbs and spices.
              Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

Comment

Originally posted by prime11 View Post
                Potatoes should not really be on the list unless you're doing a ton of cardio like running marathons or playing sports for hours on end like pro athletes. And at that it's only sweet potatoes.
                No.
                Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
                5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Originally posted by magicmerl View Post
                  No.
                  +1

Primal low-carb dogma.
                  | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

Roast veggies. Just about every veggie tastes awesome roasted, you can mix up different herbs and spices when you are feeling saucy, otherwise a bit of oil, salt and pepper and into the oven until browned. Asparagus is fantastic, brussels sprouts roasted with a bit of bacon, butternut squash cubed, parsnips... they are all amazing. As a plus, I have found that asparagus and brussels sprouts in particular seem to have an above-average shelf life in the fridge. Or I just have a high tolerance and poor sense of smell.

Another way to get in some veggies is to make up a scramble for breakfast or lunch (or hey, even dinner!) I usually use kale, spinach, mushrooms, onions and red bell peppers, along with fresh garlic. Add a couple eggs in, and instant meal.

Comment

Bored of veggies ? ditch them

Comment

Eat different ones. Cook them. Season them. I can never get bored if vegetables, unlike proteins, there's so many different types.
                        F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

How much do you like to cook? I like to have an assortment of veggies:
                          easy to prep:
                          prewashed spinach
                          Kale
                          frozen asparagus (microwaves)
                          Cucumber
                          Peppers
                          Shredded cabbage
                          Avocados

Takes more time to prep:
                          Squash
                          Brussels
                          Asparagus (fresh)
                          Potatoes/Sweet potatoes (I buy small ones and usually eat them with a green veggie)

Veggies I always forget about:
                          Carrots
                          Celery
                          Artichokes
                          Tomatoes
                          Eggplant
                          Zucchini

A good cookbook is your friend if you don't know how to use vegetables, Deborah Madison has a good one that lists all veggies and 3-4 preperations of each.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                          Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Originally posted by prime11 View Post
                            That's why pro-athletes, marathoners and sport enthusiasts alike compete.

So they can sit back at the end of the day and say "Gee, I really earned my potato".
                            Dark chocolate and coffee, running through my veins...

Fitocracy Workout Tracker:
                            https://www.fitocracy.com/profile/Shadowknight137/?feed
                            MFP Food Diary:
                            http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Shadowknight137
                            (Date is New Zealand Time UTC+ 12hours)

Comment

We eat a lot of frozen spinach, because we like it. But I also like to make a large quantity of colorful mixed vegetables: steamed broccoli, red peppers, carrots, daikon, and rutabagas are pretty together. Leftovers can be used for another hot meal, with bacon or cheese, etc., or as a cold salad or snack.

Comment

Working...
                              X