No announcement yet.

Getting bored of veggies!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need to bookmark all these replies, reminding of me some great vegetables!

Unfortunately I think you do need to put some time aside to prepare if you don't want to be eating raw veg the majority of the time.

I tend to do a fruit/veg shop on Sundays. I get all my salad ingredients to take packed lunches to work (lettuce/baby spinach, cucumber, bell pepper, carrots, tomatoes, sometimes avocado) and then decide on a couple of different veg per week to cook up in the evenings - so I eat raw veg for lunch mostly and then hot food for dinner. The veg for dinner tend to have protein that works best with them, which means I mix up my meat/fish on a weekly basis too.

Sometimes instead of salad lunches I'll make a big batch of soup on a Sunday afternoon - you can chuck almost any veg in with some organic stock and you're guaranteed a good tasting meal, plus it's so much quicker and easier to cook than people think, leave it all to boil up for a while and then blend.

I also find what inspires me is looking at a seasonal fruit/veg calendar - it'll be different in the States (you guys get some really interesting veg dammit) but something like http://www.freshdirect.co.uk/getdoc/...uce_Guide.aspx really helps.

Comment

I agree that you can ditch them.

But if you like them for variety or even because a meal doesn't feel like a meal without a side dish, think on this. I just googled, "how many edible plants are there in the world," and depending on the site, there are 20,000-30,000 of them!

Next time you shop, try something you've never tried before. I have problems with fresh greens going bad also, so I buy those frozen, but most other veggies are more stable.
      "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by AngryKiwi47 View Post
        That's why pro-athletes, marathoners and sport enthusiasts alike compete.

So they can sit back at the end of the day and say "Gee, I really earned my potato".
        Ha good one. Just pointing out there are entire chapters in paleo books devoted to why white potatoes are not good and should not be a staple in the diet.

Comment

I have been buying a lot more frozen veg for convenience.
          I have been making loads of soups for variety.

Mushroom soup - fry onions, garlic and loads of mushrooms in butter/olive oil. Simmer with a pint of veg stock and can of coconut milk. Blitz with stick blender.
          Courgette and Leek soup - fry garlic and leek as above. Add courgettes and simmer with veg stock. Blitz with stick blender.

Comment

Originally posted by dkJames View Post
            Bored of veggies ? ditch them
            I adore Dr. Ede. Her "Diagnosis: Diet" blog has a lot of well researched resources.

Comment

Hard for me to get bored of veggies. I just crave them.

And if you try to eat mostly what is seasonal, then you really come to love them.

Comment

Working...
              X