Becoming fat adapted

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Becoming fat adapted

I know everybody is different, but i'm curious to hear about people's experiences becoming fat-adapted. I'm almost a week into primal, and am having trouble lowering my carbs too much due to low blood sugar. I'm definitely still a sugar burner. Anybody have tips or want to share their experience?

What trouble are you having?
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
      I know everybody is different, but i'm curious to hear about people's experiences becoming fat-adapted. I'm almost a week into primal, and am having trouble lowering my carbs too much due to low blood sugar. I'm definitely still a sugar burner. Anybody have tips or want to share their experience?
      What are your symptoms? How low carb are you going?
      Rebooted Body -- Ancestral Health + Modern Psychology | The Rebooted Body Podcast

Comment

Originally posted by The Rebooted Body View Post
        What are your symptoms? How low carb are you going?
        The typical hypoglycemia: dizziness, shakiness, low energy, can't think straight. I've always had low blood sugar If I went more than 2-3 hour without eating. My doctor gave me the typical carbs and protein very few hour protocol (I'm not diabetic), so moving away from that is hard. Before primal I was 200+ g of carbs. Now I'm aiming for 100-150ish and even that is hard. Maybe I should go more gradually? Or just tough it out?

Comment

Sure, go gradually. No need to go cold turkey. This is a long-term project anyway, right?

Comment

Yes, plan on being primal for the long haul!

Comment

I went cold turkey (previously breakfast was oatmeal and fruit, lunch and dinner had lots of rice, not a lot of protein), and while I had "carb flu" symptoms, they weren't to the point of dizziness and shakiness. But at about week 3, I turned the corner, and it was a revelation. No more a slave to the blood-sugar induced hunger, I could work out fasted, I started doing 16-hour IF without a problem. It was like liberation. But remember, if you're doing a lot of exercise, especially endurance stuff, you'll need more carbs than the "carb curve" might indicate. I do pretty much PBF: lots of walking, occasional lifting and sprinting, so I can be at 75-100g carbs/day and it's fine, but you may be different.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom B-D View Post
                I went cold turkey (previously breakfast was oatmeal and fruit, lunch and dinner had lots of rice, not a lot of protein), and while I had "carb flu" symptoms, they weren't to the point of dizziness and shakiness. But at about week 3, I turned the corner, and it was a revelation. No more a slave to the blood-sugar induced hunger, I could work out fasted, I started doing 16-hour IF without a problem. It was like liberation. But remember, if you're doing a lot of exercise, especially endurance stuff, you'll need more carbs than the "carb curve" might indicate. I do pretty much PBF: lots of walking, occasional lifting and sprinting, so I can be at 75-100g carbs/day and it's fine, but you may be different.
                Wow, I'm hoping something like that happens to me! I am pretty active, a lot of walking, some running and weight lifting.

Comment

I'm hypoglycemic and went cold-turkey also. So I had 3 weeks of dizzyness, lightheadedness, shakiness, and I felt pretty awful, miserable over all. But after that amazing changes happened.

I started out eating every 3.5 - 4 hours as I've always been taught, but not eating any sugar at all. Just meat, fish non-starchy veggies, nuts, berries, green leaves, etc. I would never go back.

Now I'm getting better at eating only when I'm hungry. For me this has meant moving breakfast later and later. But now it's getting funny. I had 'breakfast', bacon, eggs & cheese, between 2:30 and 3pm. Guess for the first time I'll just skip lunch and see what happens.

About 3 weeks ago, on this idea of eating only when hungry, I had a near mistake. I got hungry slightly but didn't really pay attention. All of a sudden, Bam, I was starving and raced into the kitchen and ate everything at hand. I acted just quickly enough and the sudden light-headedness cleared after eating. I wouldn't have even thought of trying this at first.

Easing into it would not be for me. You don't get good signals from your body, so you keep trying to control everything yourself, and driving yourself crazy. I believed that if fed healthy, nutrient dense foods, my poor sick body would adjust and tell me what it wants.
                  "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Comment

Originally posted by Cryptocode View Post
                    I'm hypoglycemic and went cold-turkey also. So I had 3 weeks of dizzyness, lightheadedness, shakiness, and I felt pretty awful, miserable over all. But after that amazing changes happened.

I started out eating every 3.5 - 4 hours as I've always been taught, but not eating any sugar at all. Just meat, fish non-starchy veggies, nuts, berries, green leaves, etc. I would never go back.

Thank you!! Can I ask what carb level you started at when you went cold turkey? I'm active, so I'm not quite sure where I should be at. Also, did you even bother exercising during those 3 weeks?

Now I'm getting better at eating only when I'm hungry. For me this has meant moving breakfast later and later. But now it's getting funny. I had 'breakfast', bacon, eggs & cheese, between 2:30 and 3pm. Guess for the first time I'll just skip lunch and see what happens.

About 3 weeks ago, on this idea of eating only when hungry, I had a near mistake. I got hungry slightly but didn't really pay attention. All of a sudden, Bam, I was starving and raced into the kitchen and ate everything at hand. I acted just quickly enough and the sudden light-headedness cleared after eating. I wouldn't have even thought of trying this at first.

Easing into it would not be for me. You don't get good signals from your body, so you keep trying to control everything yourself, and driving yourself crazy. I believed that if fed healthy, nutrient dense foods, my poor sick body would adjust and tell me what it wants.

Thank you!! Can I ask what carb level you started at when you went cold turkey? I'm active, so I'm not quite sure where I should be at. Also, did you even bother exercising during those 3 weeks?

Comment

No, I did not exercise during those weeks, I was too sick.
                      I cut out all grains and sugars. Then I used paleotrack.com for 1 week to see where my macronutrient %s were, about 65% fat, 25% protein, 10% carbs. I aimed to stay at that approximate level without daily tracking.

Comment

Cold turkey. Started around mid week, expecting the crash would happen by the weekend. My profession requires analysis/thinking so was concerned about timing it correctly. Was barely functional on Friday but went to work anyhow, was knocked-out most of the weekend. Lots of sleeping. Then mostly functional and running on fat the next week. So it was about 4 days of pure hell. Worth it.

Comment

What's the rest of your diet, behavioural, health history?
                          I think it's generally better, to take it slow and just cruise into your zone, plenty of time.
                          "There are no short cuts to enlightenment, the journey is the destination, you have to walk this path alone"

Comment

Originally posted by Omni View Post
                            What's the rest of your diet, behavioural, health history?
                            I think it's generally better, to take it slow and just cruise into your zone, plenty of time.
                            I'm a 23 year old female. Very active (though now not so much with the "flu"). My diet before was a pretty typical athlete's diet- frequent meals of carbs (didnt count but i'd say around 200-300g) and protein. Definitely lower in fat. I'm kind of an all-or-nothing thinker so that's why cold turkey appealed to me. I'm also hypothyroid and on medication for it.

Comment

I started by cutting carbs maybe in half (so half of the typical 400-500 grams) and ate a lot more saturated fat (all kinds). I incorporated 2-3 TBSPs of coconut oil every morning (work up to this amount slowly). I think the coconut oil was especially helpful because it is such a great energy source.

Just eating a lot more fat will help your body start switching over to being fat adapted. Drop your carbs gradually. You should see a dramatic change in your metabolism and energy levels in a month or so.

Comment

Working...
                              X