No announcement yet.

How much dark chocolate per day?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tend to eat a full bar almost every day. Been liking G&B's 85%, same one as in AngryKiwi's pic above.

Comment

1 bar of dark chocolate per day?

In my experience, the darker the chocolate, the harder it is to eat "too much."

I have never been able to consume an entire bar of chocolate in one sitting, especially dark chocolate. I just don't understand how that's possible. I have had dark chocolate bars go bad before I could finish them. I'm well into a chocolate coma after like 3 pieces.
      Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
      Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
      Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
      F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Comment

1 bar of dark chocolate per day?

In my experience, the darker the chocolate, the harder it is to eat "too much."

I have never been able to consume an entire bar of chocolate in one sitting, especially dark chocolate. I just don't understand how that's possible. I have had dark chocolate bars go bad before I could finish them. I'm well into a chocolate coma after like 3 pieces.
        This sounds like some kind of aversion or allergy. I can easily eat lots of baker's chocolate, cocao nibs, or high-quality super dark chocolate with abandon. Same is true for meat nuts,, fruit, and most other food except starchy food. Are there any other foods you have trouble eating? Can you eat a dozen eggs at least? I'm just curious. People with small appetites fascinate me. I've always been a garbage truck.
        Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
          This sounds like some kind of aversion or allergy. I can easily eat lots of baker's chocolate, cocao nibs, or high-quality super dark chocolate with abandon. Same is true for meat nuts,, fruit, and most other food except starchy food. Are there any other foods you have trouble eating? Can you eat a dozen eggs at least? I'm just curious. People with small appetites fascinate me. I've always been a garbage truck.
          It is possible, and likely, that all the dark chocolate I have failed to finish in the past could have contained soy lecithin (I have a soy allergy) maybe that was the aversion. Either way, I don't think I could finish a whole bar in one sitting. I just get sort of 'sick' of it, I guess my stomach is full?

No I cannot say I have ever tried eating 12 eggs. I'll usually have 2 or 3, along with a couple strips of bacon, and be satisfied till lunch time. I probably do have a small appetite or something. I certainly don't have a steak allergy, but I was once served a 1 pound steak, and failed to finish it. I ate like half. Had the rest for breakfast the next day .

However, I did actually used to be a 'garbage truck.' When I was a teenager, I recall the ability to completely kill a 16" pizza single handedly. I have no idea where I put it, as I weighed in at about 120 pounds during those years (I'm tall). I was also known as 'the vulture' among my friend group in high school, as I constantly raided refrigerators, took free handouts at lunch, and ate ate ate to my heart's content. One friend's mother even though my parents did not feed me enough at home, and that I was just starved. Nope. Just a huge appetite, and a metabolism to follow.

That, however, completely tanked once I hit my 20s. If I ate a 16" pizza I'd probably add 16" to my waist line.
          Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

F/23/5'9"

Comment

Very odd, indeed. Did you take any antibiotics or otherwise possibly change your gut bacteria in that time? Any major events that seemed to correlate with your lowered appetite?
            Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Not to hijack, but I am like Kathleen...I actually have trouble eating enough calories each day. I could easily skip dinner most nights as well, at most I eat very small portions in the evening. In trying to stay low carb I am finding it difficult to eat enough. I would definitely puke eating 6 eggs, forget a dozen!

Comment

Could easily eat a whole block of 85% in a day.... I usually eat a row then have a break for a while and go back for more. Usually I eat half the block and save the other half for the next day. I'm definitely a chocolate addict! At least it is my only food related vice!

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                  Very odd, indeed. Did you take any antibiotics or otherwise possibly change your gut bacteria in that time? Any major events that seemed to correlate with your lowered appetite?
                  Interesting. When I was 19, 20, and 21 I got a series of 6 bacterial infections which required antibiotics to be taken for a few days. I think it was the same infection coming back, maybe. By the end of it my antibiotic dose was upped so much it was for 2 weeks, 2 times per day, to take antibiotics.

Interestingly enough, the last time the infection came back, I was vacationing in Mexico. I went to the doctors there, and they gave me a shot of antibiotics. But, to differ from the American doctors, they prescribed me 2 weeks of PRObiotics. I haven't had it since (knocks on wood).

So yes, derailed post aside, there was a major event involving antibiotics which occured right around the age my appetite caved (though I don't have an exact month/year of when that occured, just gradual).

On the bright side I guess I get to save a lot of money on food. Feeling full doesn't feel good, at all, to me. It feels bad, actually.

F/23/5'9"

Comment

I love chocolate, but I dislike all of the random lecithin, oils, milks, and sugars put into it.

For now, my favorite chocolatey treat is raw cocoa nibs, grinded into a powder, and mixed with date paste and coconut oil. MMMMmmmm

Comment

While selecting dark chocolate to reduce weight please keep in mind few things like:

-Make sure the chocolate contains 60% cocoa.
                      -The chocolate should be made from cocoa butter instead of fats such as palm & coconut oils.
                      -The chocolate should not contain hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils.
                      -Darkers is better: phytochemicals contribute to pigment. More flavonoids means darker chocolate and potentially greater health benefits.

Comment

Originally posted by Z0oom View Post
                        I love chocolate, but I dislike all of the random lecithin, oils, milks, and sugars put into it.

For now, my favorite chocolatey treat is raw cocoa nibs, grinded into a powder, and mixed with date paste and coconut oil. MMMMmmmm
                        What are you grinding the nibs with? Food processor?

Comment

Working...
                        X