Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible to avoid processed carbohydrates on $5 per day?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by picklepete View Post
    Is that another name for accordion potatoes? Definitely my favorite.
    I had to google your accordians, but no. Jacket Wedges are potato segments cut into eights the same way you would break a mandarin into 8 segments. Then you marinade them in garlic/olive oil/basil/salt/tamari for a couple of hours, then bake them in the oven.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Originally posted by magicmerl View Post
      I had to google your accordians, but no. Jacket Wedges are potato segments cut into eights the same way you would break a mandarin into 8 segments. Then you marinade them in garlic/olive oil/basil/salt/tamari for a couple of hours, then bake them in the oven.
      Ah, I make those but I never tried the long marinade. You make a strong case!

Accordion is my default since I love salt and vinegar creeping into every crevice.
      37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

Organ meat, eggs and potatoes. Bananas if you have a sweet tooth.
        Dark chocolate and coffee, running through my veins...

Fitocracy Workout Tracker:
        https://www.fitocracy.com/profile/Shadowknight137/?feed
        MFP Food Diary:
        http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Shadowknight137
        (Date is New Zealand Time UTC+ 12hours)

Comment

Bananas, potatoes, and eggs all can be acquired at low cost.

If you have Trader Joe's where you live, I recommend going there. They sell mostly all organic food, and aren't really expensive at all.

I also know some people who have eaten just cans of tuna and salad all week, while on a budget, too.
          Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
          Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
          Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
          F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Comment

It depends on what's cheap, what's expensive in your area. Here I would go with
            -Offal, if nobody suggested it yet. Liver etc cost << less than ground beef here
            -potatoes
            -rice and beans
            -any veggies that are on sale, cabbages and root veggies are the cheapest here

eggs and dairy are $$$ here. But I hear they are dirt-cheap in states.
            My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
            When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Rice! Hit a bodega or indian grocery (if there are such things were you live) and you can get a 20 lb bag of rice for 10 bucks. That should last a long time. Add in eggs, tuna, cabbage, carrots, chicken legs are cheap and you can get many of them. Roast and eat, then save the bones to make a broth.

Comment

Working...
              X