Fermented Cod Liver Oil - worth it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gadsie View Post
    Is it really that expensive? I mean it's like $35 and it lasts you over a month.
    The OP was talking about $70. But in either case, if it is unnecessary, why spend any money on it? $70 will buy a lot of fish.

Comment

Originally posted by meloroaster View Post
      It cost me even more than 70$ because suppliers in Canada are scarce and delivery to the boondocks is pricey.
      Kind of off topic and late, but I live in BC and got two bottles of the cod liver oil butter oil blend from The Raw Organic Vegan Superfoods Superstore - Live Superfoods for $129.58 after shipping and everything. So far no customs fee or any nasty surprises.

Edit: I just realized that it changed the link name to Raw Organic Vegan Superfoods. I assure you it isn't a cruel trick.
      Last edited by chris4242; 05-27-2013, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
        It's an extracted product. Will it hurt you? Absolutely not. Is it worth paying large sums of money for? I don't think so. You can get everything that's in it by eating good foods. The OP asked for opinions. There's mine.

IMO, it's another product, marketed to create a need where there really isn't one.
        I'm with Paleobird on this one. If you can get it from a whole food, your body will absorb it better. There are times, however, when it's necessary to supplement. For instance, I'm resorting to supplements right now simply because I'm pregnant and can't eat the vitamin rich foods I need without throwing up. I really hate it, because I've always been against supplements. We were meant to get vitamins from the food we eat, holistically. Eating food has more complex interactions with our body than just simply providing us vitamins. If you can get all your vitamins from what you eat, you’re more likely to be giving everything your body needs.

Comment

I believe cod liver oil to be toxic. Any benefit these people feel is probably due to Vitamins A and D, which are found in large quantities in cod liver oil and Americans are notoriously deficient in. I would advise you get those nutrients from safer supplements, or preferably whole foods. Egg yolks, beef liver, grassfed dairy and regular sun exposure would be a lot healthier than taking what amounts to oxidized paint thinner pills IMO.

The original "essential fatty acids" were linoleic, linolenic, and arachidonic acids. Now that the toxic effects of those are coming to be recognized, new "essential fatty acids," the omega-3 fatty acids, including those with long chains, found in fish oils, are said to make babies more intelligent, to be necessary for good vision, and to prevent cancer, heart disease, obesity, arthritis, depression, epilepsy, psychosis, dementia, ulcers, eczema and dry skin.

With just a normal amount of vitamin E in the diet, cod liver oil is certain to be highly oxidized in the tissues of a mammal that eats a lot of it, and an experiment with dogs showed that it could increase their cancer mortality from the normal 5% to 100%. Although fish oils rapidly destroy vitamin E in the body, some of them, especially the liver oils, can provide useful vitamins, A and D. In studies comparing fish oil diets with standard diets, these nutrients, as well as any toxins besides fatty acids (Huang, et al., 1997; Miyazaki, et al., 1998) in either type of oil, should be taken into account, but they seldom are.

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/fishoil.shtml
          I believe it.
          Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 05-28-2013, 07:52 AM.
          Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

What I wish they sold would be actual cod liver. They used to have it canned, dirt cheap back when I was growing up, and oh, boy, did I start craving it all of a sudden. Almost made it to a ethnic food store yesterday at lunch, but ran out or time. I guess I will have to take a bus part way one of these days. I am afraid that it will cost its weight in gold though. But lord, I am having a major liver thing atm. Can't wait to cook some beef one tonight and contemplating getting some chicken innards on Thursday.
            My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
            When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Originally posted by Leida View Post
              I am afraid that it will cost its weight in gold though.
              It's dirt cheap in the Russian groceries in my hood.

Comment

There is one in the city, that's the one I was trying to get to yesterday. I don't have high hopes seeing there is no competition

Comment

Okay, got it in the tiny Russian grocery store. $7.50 for 230 g (~ 1/2 lb). Pretty pricey, but oh, well, it's not a can a day...

Comment

Originally posted by Leida View Post
                    Okay, got it in the tiny Russian grocery store. $7.50 for 230 g (~ 1/2 lb). Pretty pricey, but oh, well, it's not a can a day...
                    1/2 lb? Wow, I was talking about little 5oz cans.

Comment

230 g is ~ 6 oz. It's 30 g per oz. So, it is less than 1/2 lb, but not significantly.

Comment

Working...
                      X