My doctor is a moron!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'd also point out that:
    1. Statistically, a third of people who have cardiac events every day have low-normal cholesterol, so cholesterol levels aren't a great reason to think that you're going to keel over anytime soon.
    2. High cholesterol is generally associated with a systemic inflammatory response. The reason that statins have some lowering effect on cholesterol/cardiac health is that they have a mild anti-inflammatory effect.

Just wanted to throw that out there; I'll leave the thyroid advice and the high/low carb or fat debate to everyone else

Also, yeah, your doctor is a moron.

Comment

• Originally posted by KimchiNinja View Post
      Someone should forward Western doctors a copy of the hippocratic oath, currently they follow the maximize profit oath.

"I will apply dietetic measures for the benefit of the sick according to my ability and judgment; I will keep them from harm and injustice. I will neither give a deadly drug to anybody if asked for it, nor will I make a suggestion to this effect."

In other words cure it with food, not drugs. Oh, but that doesn't maximize profit, so let's just ignore that part.
      I think the problem is that very few docs are passionate about what they do. If the GP's were even a fraction as fascinated by health and wellness as some of the people on this forum then we'd be in a much better place.
      "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

• Originally posted by Cathartes View Post
        I'd also point out that:
        1. Statistically, a third of people who have cardiac events every day have low-normal cholesterol, so cholesterol levels aren't a great reason to think that you're going to keel over anytime soon.
        2. High cholesterol is generally associated with a systemic inflammatory response. The reason that statins have some lowering effect on cholesterol/cardiac health is that they have a mild anti-inflammatory effect.

Just wanted to throw that out there; I'll leave the thyroid advice and the high/low carb or fat debate to everyone else

Also, yeah, your doctor is a moron.
        Thanks Cathartes Good to be reminded about inflammation too.
        "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

• Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
          I think the problem is that very few docs are passionate about what they do.
          That's certainly true. The doctors I met in the US clearly hated their jobs, you could just tell. And hated their patients I think too.

But the system doesn't really allow for people going outside the program. There are rules, and the rules are "goto work, speak the party line 'grains are good, fats are bad', sell drugs to the chumps, keep your mouth shut", if you go outside those rules you don't last long I imagine.

Comment

• The thing with doctors do what they are asked to do, the system enforces constraints on cost, we all want lower taxes so the govt outsources, this includes reasearch and medical recommendations, so drug companies take over that niche,
            then there is the patient, no one wants to invest time and effort into their own health,
            when in a consultation and the newbie doc says well your problem is you need to get healthier, lose weight and stop smoking,
            the patients response is can't you just give me a drug to fix it.
            Three consultations like that and the enthusiastic doctor gives up and pulls out his script pad every time.

If more patients actually demanded better service and actually engaged in their own health process, then the system would be forced to respond more appropriately.

But alas that would involve more taxes and no one wants to pay more tax.
            "There are no short cuts to enlightenment, the journey is the destination, you have to walk this path alone"

Comment

• Hey anyone who's still reading

Just got back from my docs where I received the repeat blood tests with lipid profile.

Firstly, some good news: turns out my Total cholesterol isn't quite as high as we thought: It's 9.2 mmol/l (355.76179 mg/dl) as opposed to 10.4 mmol/l (402.16551 mg/dl).

Now the rest:

HDL: 2.96 mmol/l = 114.46249 mg/dl
              LDL: 5.7 mmol/l = 220.41763 mg/dl
              Trigs: 1.24 mmol/l = 109.83171 mg/dl

I also got Vit D - 49, which is low.

Added to the rest of my results:

Ferritin: 34
              TSH: 1.26
              T4: 11.6 (European range is 12 - 20. UK range is 10 - 25!)

So I'm not sure what to make of this. Obviously my LDL is way high, but my HDL is good (?) and I think my Trigs are alright...? THe ratios seem okay, partic the Trig / HDL ratio...

I've decided to go to an Endo because all doctors seem to do is treat individual symptoms instead of looking for a comprehensive overview (I was offered anti-depressants like a shot but refused T3 testing). It all seems to come down to hormones anyway...
              Last edited by YogaBare; 05-01-2013, 10:31 AM.

- Ray Peat

Comment

• Not sure if this is helpful, but I recently saw this and your results reminded me of it. The most important thing you probably don’t know about cholesterol In the comments, Kresser said that HDL over 100 is often a sign of inflammation. (Just search for "inflammation" on the page, and it should take you right to the comment.)

My journal

Comment

Working...
                X