No announcement yet.

50% calories from fat?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't worry Hux your doing great, I've been Primal for over a year and average between 55 and 65% fat every day. Recently I've upped my protein as a percentage of daily calories a bit as I'm focusing on reducing bodyfat to under 10% and adding a bit of muscle. Eating high fat, high-medium protein, and low carb is the best route. Fat is essential for building testosterone, testosterone is essential for building muscle. If your not doing some Primal weight training I suggest you start. Lifting builds muscle, muscle burns fat, muscle ups your metabolism, increases testosterone (yes this is also important for women) and HGH.
    Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

Comment

I don't track specifically but reckon I'm probably in the 70s.

Comment

For 6 months, I was like 75-80% Cal from fat. Now, I loosen up a lot since I reached my ideal weight. I never really change the protein amount, I replace carbs by fat and vice-versa depending on the physical activity du jour. Some days, I will have almost no carbs at all, others will be quite high in carbs but very low in fat - seems to be OK so far

Comment

If you eat 100g of each:
          100g fat = 900kcal
          100g protein = 400kcal
          100g carbs = 400kcal
          Fat, gram for gram, has more kcals, that's why you're getting over 50% of your kcals from fat.
          --
          Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
          I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
          I'd apologize, but...

Comment

I average between 60-80% from fat.

Comment

Thanks for all the encouragment everyone. I wasn't terribly worried, but it i kind of shocking when you first see that high a number. But now I'm being told it's actually a little low. I'll have to work harder for that.

Canuck, I normally do some bodyweight exercises, but I've had to stop for the last week because I sprained my knee and need to rest it. But once I get the all clear from my doctor I intend to start up again along with some sprinting.

By the way, how low is low carb? I generally average around 100 carbs a day from fruits and vegetables. Is that too high or is that ok?

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
                By the way, how low is low carb? I generally average around 100 carbs a day from fruits and vegetables. Is that too high or is that ok?
                It all depends on what your goals are. If you are very active, you'll need a bit more carbs than someone that isn't terribly active. I generally aim for roughly under 80g as this is where I feel best and continue to have weight loss. If you are trying to lose weight and are being successful with your current carb level and are feeling good, then I say continue with how you're doing. If your weight loss stalls, you may need to decrease (or even increase) carb level. You can play around with your carb level to see how you feel with certain levels. Some people do great on very low carb and some don't. It's very personal...

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
                  It's a great starting point IMO. I think the most common range is 10%/50g ~ 30%/150g (before anaerobics). As long as it's all unrefined you can probably trust your taste and energy instincts, and it doesn't need to be the same every day.
                  37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

Working...
                  X