Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does my thyroid play into weight loss stall, cholesterol, etc?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does my thyroid play into weight loss stall, cholesterol, etc?

I've been on Levoxyl for 12 years. I was dx'd with hypothyroidism while pregnant with my first child. I had a goiter at the time (which has been biopsied numerous times over the years), which I think is how I first found out about the hypo.

Fast forward to now...my goiter is still in existence. I take .2 of Levoxyl/day, and 2 pills on Sundays. My goiter had gotten to be quite large, at least that's how it felt to me. I read about iodine and goiters, so I started taking 300mcg of iodine liquid/day a few months ago. My goiter immediately got smaller. Like within a day or so. I should note: I do NOT have Hashimoto's. I had my endo test for that back in December and my test indicated no inflammation (result was 33). I bought a different iodine supplement recently, and 1 drop=600mcg of iodine. My goiter is even smaller now.

I had blood drawn this week and should get my results in a day or so. But until then, I'm wondering:

1. My LDL, since going Primal a year ago, has steadily increased from 98 in 3/12 to 151 in 12/12. Does thyroid function have anything to do with this? (My other lipid panel numbers in 12/12 were: total 225, trig 114, HDL 51, VLDL 23. MY A1C was 5.8, and has steadily decreased since going Primal...the high was 6.6 back in 3/12. My Vit D was low as of my last bloodwork in 12/12, with result of 25.9. I take 5000IU/day now.

2. My hair is falling out again, despite my best efforts of taking biotin and many other supps (not just for hair). This is recurring with me...but the endo says it's not my thyroid. TSH was .037 (12/12) down from .349 (5/12). T4, free was 1.49 in 12/12, TPO was 33, T3, free, serum was 2.9.

3. Does it appear that my thyroid would be causing issues with weight loss according to the numbers? I realize it's not all about numbers and that the body is a very complicated, interconnected system...but surely the numbers can help?

Originally posted by jodeyh View Post
    1. My LDL, since going Primal a year ago, has steadily increased from 98 in 3/12 to 151 in 12/12. Does thyroid function have anything to do with this?
    Yes, poor function thyroid downregulates LDL receptors, which results in increasing LDL levels.

(My other lipid panel numbers in 12/12 were: total 225, trig 114, HDL 51, VLDL 23. MY A1C was 5.8, and has steadily decreased since going Primal...the high was 6.6 back in 3/12. My Vit D was low as of my last bloodwork in 12/12, with result of 25.9. I take 5000IU/day now.
    What are the trends in Trigs and HDL from 3/12 to 12/12? Is Trigs going down and HDL going up? Because if so, that's a good trend.

2. My hair is falling out again, despite my best efforts of taking biotin and many other supps (not just for hair). This is recurring with me...but the endo says it's not my thyroid. TSH was .037 (12/12) down from .349 (5/12). T4, free was 1.49 in 12/12, TPO was 33, T3, free, serum was 2.9.

3. Does it appear that my thyroid would be causing issues with weight loss according to the numbers? I realize it's not all about numbers and that the body is a very complicated, interconnected system...but surely the numbers can help?
    I don't have issues with hair or weight loss, but is something other posters have had problems with in association with thyroid problems.

About the only thing I can add is that Selenium is a good supplement to take with Iodine (I eat a Brazil Nut each day). And that *some* level of carbs are good for your thyroid.

And if you have a really screwed thyroid, then T3 supplements might be able to help (although I personally don't take them).

Best of luck.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Since different labs have different reference ranges for their tests. So, it would be very helpful if you could include the ranges for your results.

My thoughts without reference ranges:
      Yes, increased cholesterol can be a symptom of hypothyroidism.
      Yes, hair loss can be a symptom of hypothyroidism. So can anemia, including low ferritin, as well was low vitamin D
      You can test negative for thyroid antibodies TPO, TgAb, and still have Hashimoto's. The definitive test is a thyroid biopsy.

Comment

Yep! Trigs going down (high of 195 in 3/12) and HDL going up (46 in 3/12). Just that damn LDL that has me a bit concerned.

I supplement with selenium. Maybe I need to take more...I currently take 250mcg/day. I do eat carbs...I just try not to eat more than 50-75g/day. I have a lot of weight to lose; 75+ lbs.

Comment

Sounds like you are supporting of your thyroid in all of the most common ways.

Your LDL/HDL ratio has increased from 2.1 to 3 in that time. Ideally it should be below 4.3 (read through the primer in my sig if you are still worried). I don't think you should worry too much about your LDL just yet.
          Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
          5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
          Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
          TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
          bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Originally posted by marcadav View Post
            Since different labs have different reference ranges for their tests. So, it would be very helpful if you could include the ranges for your results.

My thoughts without reference ranges:
            Yes, increased cholesterol can be a symptom of hypothyroidism.
            Yes, hair loss can be a symptom of hypothyroidism. So can anemia, including low ferritin, as well was low vitamin D
            You can test negative for thyroid antibodies TPO, TgAb, and still have Hashimoto's. The definitive test is a thyroid biopsy.
            TSH .037 (.450-4.500) *my endo said that a low number was good
            T4, Free 1.49 (.82-1.77)
            Vit D 25.9 (30-100)
            TPO Ab 33 (0-34)
            T3, Free 2.9 (2.0-4.4)

I think I will request a copy of my medical records with the biopsies of my thyroid. Can one be dx'd with Hashimoto's then have it go away?

Comment

TSH .037 (.450-4.500) *my endo said that a low number was good
              T4, Free 1.49 (.82-1.77)
              Vit D 25.9 (30-100)
              TPO Ab 33 (0-34)
              T3, Free 2.9 (2.0-4.4)

I think I will request a copy of my medical records with the biopsies of my thyroid. Can one be dx'd with Hashimoto's then have it go away?
              Your FT4 is 71% of it's range. Your FT3 is 38% of it's range. Good conversion from T4 to T3 would show your FT4 and FT3 in, approximately, the same place in their ranges. Since your FT3 is only at 38%, with a FT4 at 71% it looks like you are having conversion problems.

Things that help conversion:
              1. Selenium 200mcg/day. Be careful, getting more than 400mcg may be toxic.
              2. Optimal Vitamin D
              3. Optimal ferritin
              4. Adequate calories and or carbs. Some people need at least 50 grams of carbs/day for good conversion.
              5. Not over exercising.

If addressing the things listed above does not improve conversion, looking into taking either a T4/T3 combo med (Armour, Naturethroid, etc) or adding a T3 med (Cytomel) to your Levoxyl might be a good idea.

Please note your antibody (TPO) level. You are producing thyroid antibodies close to the upper limit for normal. Antibodies fluctuate so you could have had periods where they went over the upper limit. In addition, some people believe having any antibodies indicates a thyroid under attack. I think seeing if Hashimoto's is present in your biopsies is a good idea.

Comment

I was tested for Hashimoto's regularly for 5 years (because both my endos believed that I had it), but my antibody level was never high enough for a diagnosis. I was diagnosed via a biopsy of one of my thyroid nodules. Therefore, it's best NOT to supplement with iodine unless you've had a biopsy and are certain that you don't have Hashi's.

I also had low D3 (as the OP) and supplementing and raising my level to 77 made a WORLD of difference. I actually didn't think I felt too bad with my low D3 (the result came as a surprise to me), but once I raised it, I felt incredibly better. My symptoms of low D3 are similar to my symptoms of low thyroid, so the two can be confused.

Also never supplement without testing first. When I was unusually fatigued, my endo tested BOTH my T3 and B12 because either could have been the cause. It turned out to be my T3 (conversion problems are characteristic of Hashi's), but my B12 was amazingly high. Had I simply supplemented B12 on my own, I would have created a mess for myself.

Since Hashi's is an autoimmune disease (like MS and lupus), I doubt that it 'goes away.' Also, it is known that with one autoimmune disease, a person is more liable to develop others.

Comment

I had no idea about the conversion issues, etc. I went over to Kresser's site and printed out his series on thyroid issues. I'll be doing some reading on that. I think I will ask for a new biopsy when I see my endo next week. Might as well have the most up to date info.

Nobody has ever tested my B12, but I will ask for it to be tested. I do supplement that b/c I have depression. In fact, here are the supps I take:

Night:
                  600mcg biotin
                  cinnamon
                  10mg zinc

Morning:
                  cinnamon
                  600mcg biotin
                  2400mg vit K
                  10mg manganese
                  400mg Inositol
                  400mg Choline
                  18mg ferrous fumarate
                  250mcg selenium
                  200mcg chromium
                  5000IU Vit D3
                  500mg magnesium
                  2 Trader Joe's Super Crusade multi
                  1000mg methyl B12
                  600mcg iodine

Comment

For hair loss, check iron and ferritin levels too.
                    Depression Lies

Comment

That's a boatload of supplements. I'd quit them all, except Vit D and Vit K, and start over, try to get all those things from food--it's very do-able!

Eat fish every day, eggs quite often, grass-fed butter, kale, spinach, cheese, almonds, brazil nuts (1-2/day), seaweed, etc... learn to source vitamins and minerals through food. Lots of the supps you take are synthetic forms of the real deal and block the receptor if it does encounter real food. Just my opinion!

Comment

Originally posted by otzi View Post
                        That's a boatload of supplements. I'd quit them all, except Vit D and Vit K, and start over, try to get all those things from food--it's very do-able!

Eat fish every day, eggs quite often, grass-fed butter, kale, spinach, cheese, almonds, brazil nuts (1-2/day), seaweed, etc... learn to source vitamins and minerals through food. Lots of the supps you take are synthetic forms of the real deal and block the receptor if it does encounter real food. Just my opinion!
                        In theory I agree with you. But...I hate most fish, so there's absolutely no way I can eat it every day, plus it's hella expensive.

I will put it on my list of things to do to figure out how to source them through food. I also need to figure out how to get grass fed beef that's affordable (family of 4...with 2 growing kids) and pastured chickens/eggs. I eat eggs on a daily basis, but they aren't pastured. Again, very expensive (at least $4.50/doz in my area).

Thank you for your opinion!

Comment

Here is my new blood work. I don't know what to make of the thyroid changes...can someone help me? Also, my BUN/Creatinine ratio is high. What does that mean?

Comment

Here is my new blood work. I don't know what to make of the thyroid changes...can someone help me? Also, my BUN/Creatinine ratio is high. What does that mean?

Both free T4 and Free T3 went down. FT was at 71% of it's range and is now at 56%. FT3 was at 38%, now 13%.

I wonder-- on what day of the week did you have the last set of tests done? And on what day of the week was the recent set done?

I ask because you take the same dose of Levoxyl Monday- Saturday and then double it on Sunday. If the first set of tests were done at the beginning of the week and the recent set at the end of the week, that may explain the difference in results. I'm also curious as to why the different dose on Sunday, instead of .225 or .2375 each day.

At any rate, IMO, your T4 to T3 conversion could be better.

As for the BUN/Creatinine ratio-
                            BUN: Common Questions | Blood Urea Nitrogen
                            What is BUN-creatinine ratio? - WebMD Answers

Comment

If I may, how are you calculating the T3 and T4? I can't reproduce what you are doing, so clearly I'm using the wrong formula.

The most recent 2 blood draws were both on a Tuesday. Weird.

Also, got more blood work results today. I'm excited at my cholesterol levels...esp my trigs and LDL. But, if you look at the particles, I don't think that looks great. I didn't get the feeling that my doc liked doing that test (NMR) for me because she said that most docs, other than cardiologists don't use that test b/c they don't really know what the results indicate.

She also did a CRP, which was really high: 15 (range is 0 - 4.9). She said that again, nobody really understands what this means and that the inflammation could be anything from an infection to allergies. We will repeat the test in a couple weeks. I'm wondering if it could be my thyroid because of the iodine I've been taking. Any thoughts on that?

Here is blood work (the purple column indicates around the time I went Primal)
                              Last edited by jodeyh; 04-22-2013, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X