Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IF fasting ready set go!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • IF fasting ready set go!

    New to this... sorry for those who see repeat threads...

    I've read thread on IF and still have some questions...

    1. So, you just pick one type of IF... one includes a 4-7 hour window of eating...
    is that for 2 meals? 1 meal? can that window be at anytime you want? do you have to stick to specific time everyday?

    2. I'm a little scared to do IF because when I go back to eating normal will I just gain back the weight I lost? like your body doesn't go into starvation mode and just HOLD everything in?? Anyone have experience good or bad with that?

    3. how long do you do it for? every other day for 2 weeks? 5 days straight? how long?

    4. what do you like to all eat on it? just regular primal eating right?

    I'm want to try this because I'm not losing weight. I've been on Primal since January.. thought I'd give it a shot
    why not!?
    Last edited by Yoga11; 04-16-2013, 09:53 PM.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Yoga11 View Post
    New to this... sorry for those who see repeat threads...

    I've read thread on IF and still have some questions...

    1. So, you just pick one type of IF... one includes a 4-7 hour window of eating...
    is that for 2 meals? 1 meal? can that window be at anytime you want? do you have to stick to specific time everyday?
    Most people eat at dinner, and then either don't eat again, or just skip lunch or breakfast.

    Originally posted by Yoga11 View Post
    2. I'm a little scared to do IF because when I go back to eating normal will I just gain back the weight I lost? like your body doesn't go into starvation mode and just HOLD everything in?? Anyone have experience good or bad with that?
    The trick is to have one day each week where you FEAST.

    Originally posted by Yoga11 View Post
    3. how long do you do it for? every other day for 2 weeks? 5 days straight? how long?
    For as long as you want to.

    Originally posted by Yoga11 View Post
    4. what do you like to all eat on it? just regular primal eating right?
    Yep. When I was eating just a single meal, I used to be adding dessert regularly since otherwise I wasn't getting enough calories.

    Originally posted by Yoga11 View Post
    I'm want to try this because I'm not losing weight. I've been on Primal since January.. thought I'd give it a shot
    why not!?
    Why not indeed? Good luck.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

    Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

    Comment


    • #3
      My understanding is that there is no reduction in metabolic rate (starvation mode) associated with fasting until about 72 hours in to a fast and that even that goes away as soon as eating resumes.

      I used IF 3 days a week or so for a long time and loved it. But at some point it suddenly became very, very difficult to do and I had to give it up. I have no idea why. I'm considering starting it up again. Perhaps it's because I never did a "feast" day as suggested above.
      Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

      http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

      Comment


      • #4
        Sorry to high-jack your thread, Yoga, but I have a question re: IFing;

        For a while (couple of weeks) now I've only been eating 2 meals a day just because I am not hungry for dinner. Does this constitute as IF, or is this my new way of eating (2 meals) and if I wanted to IF would I have to work around those 2 meals and not the 'usual' 3.

        I am not sure if I've explained myself well there!!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by CavemanJoe View Post
          Sorry to high-jack your thread, Yoga, but I have a question re: IFing;

          For a while (couple of weeks) now I've only been eating 2 meals a day just because I am not hungry for dinner. Does this constitute as IF, or is this my new way of eating (2 meals) and if I wanted to IF would I have to work around those 2 meals and not the 'usual' 3.

          I am not sure if I've explained myself well there!!
          It's definitely an IF of some sort. Sounds like you're hitting the "Leangains" 16/8 approach (16 hour fast and two meals eating witching eight hours or so)?
          "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

          Comment


          • #6
            Go ahead and give it a go! IFing then moving into ADF really helped me and is still helping me lose weight. Primal is awesome, but there is something about mixing primal and IF that just makes your body feel awesome.

            My advice is, if you're going to do it, stick with it for a month. At the end of a month, you'll know if it's something you want to continue doing, or hate it so much that you'll never do it again. I don't believe you'll regain anything- it's not a crash diet.

            Try the basic 16/8. 16 hour fast 8 hour eating window. Try it for a week. Like it? Keep going, every day. Maybe your 8 hour window is from 6a-2p or maybe it's noon to 8pm. It doesn't matter. I started my fasting by having the greatest amount of time being when I was asleep. Easy transition.

            Eat your normal primal cuisine and enjoy.
            The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by CavemanJoe View Post
              Sorry to high-jack your thread, Yoga, but I have a question re: IFing;

              For a while (couple of weeks) now I've only been eating 2 meals a day just because I am not hungry for dinner. Does this constitute as IF, or is this my new way of eating (2 meals) and if I wanted to IF would I have to work around those 2 meals and not the 'usual' 3.

              I am not sure if I've explained myself well there!!
              I do something similar, but I miss breakfast rather than dinner....seems to work for me.

              Comment


              • #8
                I do one meal a day, around 6pm. I eat primal until I am full.
                Once a week, I skip a dinner (2 days fast) to run on extra body fat. The meal breaking this fast is quite substantial
                I do it not for weight loss but for body composition. I want to be as lean as possible. Of course, you need to move your a..ss during the fasted state

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Gladmorning View Post
                  My advice is, if you're going to do it, stick with it for a month. At the end of a month, you'll know if it's something you want to continue doing, or hate it so much that you'll never do it again. I don't believe you'll regain anything- it's not a crash diet.

                  Try the basic 16/8. 16 hour fast 8 hour eating window. Try it for a week. Like it? Keep going, every day. Maybe your 8 hour window is from 6a-2p or maybe it's noon to 8pm. It doesn't matter. I started my fasting by having the greatest amount of time being when I was asleep. Easy transition.

                  Eat your normal primal cuisine and enjoy.
                  So, do you eat 2 meals in the 8 hour window? or just an 8 hour period for 1 meal??

                  Someone said "feasting" thats the 8 hour window? or is that something else??

                  My body wont go into starvation mode???

                  Thank you everyone for your post.. this is REALLY helping me

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by magicmerl View Post

                    The trick is to have one day each week where you FEAST.


                    .
                    Is the Feasting the day of IF? is that a different thing?

                    How long is too long on IF?
                    it wont cause me to gain when i go back to regular eating?


                    last question: Is it better to do 4 days of the week or just everyday till I am where I want to be?
                    Last edited by Yoga11; 04-17-2013, 07:45 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Hi Yoga

                      I just started an IF yesterday after some said I should try, as I've stalled in my weight loss.

                      Your thread, but if you want to make it into a "support" sort of deal, I'm up for it.

                      Yesterday I did not eat for 19 hours and had a 5 hour eat window. Made it thru the day ok, around 3 p.m. wanted to eat but toughed it out.
                      I'm not sure what I'm doing. I was told I don't eat enough cals in a day. To get to my input number (set by MFP to lose 2 lbs/week) I had to eat twice in the 5 hours but I was forcing myself. Someone told me to give it time and my body will adjust to this way of eating.

                      GL
                      55 yr old male


                      07/01/2013

                      Weight; 199
                      Chest; 41.5
                      Waist; 42
                      Hips; 40
                      Thigh; 22.5
                      Calf; 15
                      Bicep: 13
                      Forearm; 11.5
                      Neck; 17

                      07/20/2013

                      Weight; 200
                      Chest; 42
                      Waist; 42.5
                      Hips; 39
                      Thigh; 23
                      Calf; 15
                      Bicep: 13
                      Forearm; 11.5
                      Neck; 16

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by ez2cy View Post
                        Hi Yoga

                        I just started an IF yesterday after some said I should try, as I've stalled in my weight loss.

                        Your thread, but if you want to make it into a "support" sort of deal, I'm up for it.

                        Yesterday I did not eat for 19 hours and had a 5 hour eat window. Made it thru the day ok, around 3 p.m. wanted to eat but toughed it out.
                        I'm not sure what I'm doing. I was told I don't eat enough cals in a day. To get to my input number (set by MFP to lose 2 lbs/week) I had to eat twice in the 5 hours but I was forcing myself. Someone told me to give it time and my body will adjust to this way of eating.

                        GL
                        So what did you eat in your 5 hour period? I'd love to make this into a "support" deal!
                        I'm starting today but was unsure about about how many calories to eat during those 4-6 hour period. Like a whole days worth?? I've looked up other threads but I can't find the answer to this.

                        what are your stats?

                        i'm 5'4'' 164.5 I eat 1500 calories a day (says I should lose 1 pound a week), BUT it's not working, so I wanted to try IFing

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          There are a lot of different ways to do intermittent fasting. Some people skip breakfast. Some people eat only during an eating window each day according to the number of hours they have decided to eat, be it 8 hours, 6 hours, 5 hours, 4 hours, or just one meal. Some people eat a light day followed by a heavy day. Some would combine the window of eating with a daily calorie deficit, then have a feast a week. A lot of us are doing alternate day fasting right now where we eat a very light day followed by a normal day. There is no one right way to do it. Whatever you do, keep reading and give it a couple of weeks before you start to make changes.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                            There are a lot of different ways to do intermittent fasting. Some people skip breakfast. Some people eat only during an eating window each day according to the number of hours they have decided to eat, be it 8 hours, 6 hours, 5 hours, 4 hours, or just one meal. Some people eat a light day followed by a heavy day. Some would combine the window of eating with a daily calorie deficit, then have a feast a week. A lot of us are doing alternate day fasting right now where we eat a very light day followed by a normal day. There is no one right way to do it. Whatever you do, keep reading and give it a couple of weeks before you start to make changes.
                            What is a FEAST day?

                            Do I use ALL my 1500 calories in my window? does the feast day mean I go beyond 1500 calories?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Yoga11 View Post
                              What is a FEAST day?

                              Do I use ALL my 1500 calories in my window? does the feast day mean I go beyond 1500 calories?
                              A feast day is a day when you gorge yourself. But that is subjective. If you aren't used to eating more than 1200 calories, planning to eat 1500 may feel like a feast. If you eat 800 calories a day for 3 days and then eat 2500 calories in a day, that would be another way to set it up.

                              Where did you get your 1500 calorie window from? But in general, I would say set it up then stay with it for 2 weeks before making any substantial changes.

                              You are in control. Perhaps you are not ready yet and need to do a few more days of research.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X