Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IF fasting ready set go!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    all this wonderful INFO!!

    Well, it's day 3 for me and I'm not weighing in for a couple more days.. I also got a crazy thai massage last night, so I know
    my muscles are swollen. Gotta give them time to de-water themselves! haha

    I'm not sure what ADF is or a 5:2 plan? a lot of people abbreviate and I have NO IDEA what people are saying. Except for IF, CW (coconut water), and HF high fat LC low carb.



    SO what is ADF and what is 5:2?

    but back to IF questions:
    I teach yoga in the morning hence my name YOGA I kind of am waiting to see if the hang over feeling goes away from not eating breakfast. if not, I plan on starting to eat at 9am - 2pm. instead of dinner. I'M FEELING LEAN! can't say I've felt that since I started in January eating primal because I haven't lost weight YET. I'm so excited to get well into IF.
    I'm going IF everyday till i'm down 10 pounds or 2 weeks. then switching to UPdown IF.

    But the last 2 days i've been eating from 11-4 with a 16 hour fast. I think I'm doing it right! haha

    Comment


    • #32
      ADF is alternate day fasting, I'm not sure about 5:2 and I think CW can also be conventional wisdom.
      __________
      Donna

      My current diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread100765.html
      My original diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread77760.html



      Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by Yoga11 View Post
        all this wonderful INFO!!

        Well, it's day 3 for me and I'm not weighing in for a couple more days.. I also got a crazy thai massage last night, so I know
        my muscles are swollen. Gotta give them time to de-water themselves! haha

        I'm not sure what ADF is or a 5:2 plan? a lot of people abbreviate and I have NO IDEA what people are saying. Except for IF, CW (coconut water), and HF high fat LC low carb.



        SO what is ADF and what is 5:2?

        but back to IF questions:
        I teach yoga in the morning hence my name YOGA I kind of am waiting to see if the hang over feeling goes away from not eating breakfast. if not, I plan on starting to eat at 9am - 2pm. instead of dinner. I'M FEELING LEAN! can't say I've felt that since I started in January eating primal because I haven't lost weight YET. I'm so excited to get well into IF.
        I'm going IF everyday till i'm down 10 pounds or 2 weeks. then switching to UPdown IF.

        But the last 2 days i've been eating from 11-4 with a 16 hour fast. I think I'm doing it right! haha
        ADF: Alternate Day Fasting, also known as JUDDD (Dr. Johnson's Up Day, Down Day Diet). Dr. James Johnson wrote a book about this IF plan, called the Alternate Day Diet, and also has a website with some good info on it (the book was written several years ago and has some outdated info on fat in it, but just skim over that part). In a nutshell-with ADF you do every other day rotations of high/normal calorie days and down/fasting calorie days. Johnson's website has a calculator you can use to find your calorie numbers, or the book tells you how to figure them out too. You do not completely fast on the down days, but instead greatly restrict your calories for the day, usually in the 300-500 calorie range. An example of what that looks like-today is a dd (down day) for me and I'm eating 4 eggs and then some chicken breast. So you still eat, but just a smaller amount. The uds (up days), are normal eating. Also, this plan only cares about calories, so you can eat it SAD, primal, vegetarian etc etc. I actually lost all my weight doing JUDDD with the SAD diet. However, now that I'm in maintenance I'm (very) slowly transitioning to primal eating as I also start strength training. There's a thread going here about ADF/JUDDD, so check it out! There's also a very active section over on Low Carb Friends, devoted to JUDDD, that has a LOT of info on this way of eating

        On to the 5:2 plan, which stands for 5 normal days/2 fasting days. Last year Dr. Michael Mosley, from the BBC, did a documentary on the health benefits of fasting, which led him to looking into IF. From there he created his own hybred which is nicknamed the 5:2 plan. Five days a week you eat normally and two days a week (not two days in a row though), you eat 500 calories for women/600 calories for men. Very similar to ADF/JUDDD, just a bit more relaxed. After Dr. Mosley did this plan for several months he lost his extra weight and his blood work dramatically improved. He just came out with a book titled The Fast Diet, and also just did a special on PBS, which I think you can watch online from their site.

        While I loved ADF for weight loss, now that I'm in maintenance I've done some experimenting and discovered I can do a modified 5:2 plan and effortlessly keep my weight in my maintenance range. Actually I'm still losing a bit here and there, but not big amounts anymore. My modified plan is 700-900 calorie Mondays and 500-600 calorie Thursdays. The other 5 days I eat as I want.
        Last edited by mom23kids; 04-19-2013, 08:44 AM.
        *Sara*

        Comment


        • #34
          Thank you for all that info!! I appreciate you taking your time to write this out for me.

          Sounds like it really worked for you.. I guess after a couple weeks on my IF "Eating window" of 5 hours, i'm going to switch it up and do JUDDD. Which will be good to shake up my system. i'm on LCfriends so I'll check that out!

          great info!

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by Yoga11 View Post
            Thank you for all that info!! I appreciate you taking your time to write this out for me.

            Sounds like it really worked for you.. I guess after a couple weeks on my IF "Eating window" of 5 hours, i'm going to switch it up and do JUDDD. Which will be good to shake up my system. i'm on LCfriends so I'll check that out!

            great info!
            I love passing on the info, since I'm such a believer in JUDDD/IF-it's really changed my life There's some who combine eating windows with JUDDD, it's really up to how you prefer to eat. That's one of the great things about this plan-very flexible to each person
            *Sara*

            Comment


            • #36
              Yoga....are you finding it tough to eat that many cals in a 5 hour window?

              What are you eating calorie wise when you eat?
              55 yr old male


              07/01/2013

              Weight; 199
              Chest; 41.5
              Waist; 42
              Hips; 40
              Thigh; 22.5
              Calf; 15
              Bicep: 13
              Forearm; 11.5
              Neck; 17

              07/20/2013

              Weight; 200
              Chest; 42
              Waist; 42.5
              Hips; 39
              Thigh; 23
              Calf; 15
              Bicep: 13
              Forearm; 11.5
              Neck; 16

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by ez2cy View Post
                Yoga....are you finding it tough to eat that many cals in a 5 hour window?

                What are you eating calorie wise when you eat?
                Ekathrine mentioned some support to me that I shouldn't be thinking too much about calories and just listen to my how much my body is really wanting and when i'm full to stop. I needed a much break from tracking the last 4 months strickly with NO results. Sorry I'm rambling.. let me get to your question.. I did a quick calculation of what I'm actually eating with my time window and I seem to be at... 1,200-1,300 calories and roughly around 30-40 carbs. I already feel like I'm fitting into my clothes better. I can't wait to drop some LBS! yay

                Comment


                • #38
                  I'm glad i came across this thread today. Yoga thanks for starting it. I have been following the primal blueprint now since the end of january and have done some IF'ing but was wondering about the calorie intake. I have been doing the 16/8 every couple of weeks and some meal skipping on other days. Today i have eaten 1300 calories after the 16 hours and that was done in a 7 hour period. Im not even sure if that is the right amount of calories or if i should worry about it. I typically eat 1200 calories a day and have been successful with weight loss. I have seen numbers for calorie intake for up and down days and was wondering where i find these numbers out. I hope this isn't being too repetitive but I am just trying to figure it all out and continue with successful weightloss.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by blondie0216 View Post
                    I'm glad i came across this thread today. Yoga thanks for starting it. I have been following the primal blueprint now since the end of january and have done some IF'ing but was wondering about the calorie intake. I have been doing the 16/8 every couple of weeks and some meal skipping on other days. Today i have eaten 1300 calories after the 16 hours and that was done in a 7 hour period. Im not even sure if that is the right amount of calories or if i should worry about it. I typically eat 1200 calories a day and have been successful with weight loss. I have seen numbers for calorie intake for up and down days and was wondering where i find these numbers out. I hope this isn't being too repetitive but I am just trying to figure it all out and continue with successful weightloss.
                    Blondie, UpDayDownDay Diet™ Plan ? How to Succeed here is the link
                    to figure out your calories for JUDDD (up/down)
                    As for window eating... how has it been for you? have you lost weight? I totally feel the difference.
                    I'm starting JUDDD also known as: up/down in 2 weeks. (after 2 weeks on window eating)

                    Question: your window is 7/8 hours.. I thought 6 max and 4min was the protocol... maybe i'm wrong about that... ? I don't really know 100% I'm new too! but I thought I read that somewhere... I'm not sure if you are losing weight or not, but if you aren't maybe shorten your window. Are you seeing results?

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      I am down 26 lbs so far and also lost inches, gained energy and strength is slowly increasing. I have about 30 more lbs to go till i get to my goal but my numbers may change depending on my body.

                      Thanks for the link and info.
                      I am not too sure about the windows and i get more confused with it as i read more so that is why i am thinking of the up and down days..

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Wow GO YOU! I can't wait to loose 26lbs! well it obviously working! congrats.

                        I can't wait to shed that!

                        that link takes you right to the exact page... just scroll down and you will see the calculator for your numbers

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          I just did it. Thank you Yoga.. It's a great feeling.. especially since before going to primal blueprint.. it took me 7 months to lose 20 lbs.. and just under 3 months i have lost 26. Primal is awesome!!

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            I have a Question: If I'm going Window eating on IF... do I do it 7 days a week? Yesterday I went hiking to Hot Spring didn't leave till I was "out of my window" I had to eat I was starving...

                            so, Window eating 7 days a week? is JUDDD 7 days week?

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              JUDDD is alternating days of "fasting", where one day you eat 500 calories and the next you eat normally. They are called up days (normal) and down days ("fasting"). There really isn't a window on this unless you want it that way. I try to spread my 500 calories out a bit, but some find it easier to just fast through the beginning part of the day and eat one larger 500 calorie meal at the end. The normal day is just a normal day...no fasting window. There is a calculator on the JUDDD website to figure out some ballpark figures depending on your goals.
                              __________
                              Donna

                              My current diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread100765.html
                              My original diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread77760.html



                              Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by 252dlp View Post
                                JUDDD is alternating days of "fasting", where one day you eat 500 calories and the next you eat normally. They are called up days (normal) and down days ("fasting"). There really isn't a window on this unless you want it that way. I try to spread my 500 calories out a bit, but some find it easier to just fast through the beginning part of the day and eat one larger 500 calorie meal at the end. The normal day is just a normal day...no fasting window. There is a calculator on the JUDDD website to figure out some ballpark figures depending on your goals.
                                The calculator on Johnson's website is a great tool-everyone starts at 500 calorie dds but after two weeks you use the calculator to figure out how many calories you need, typically ranging in the 350-450 calorie range for dds. Now Mosley's 5:2 plan, which is a more relaxed version of JUDDD, keeps dd calories at 500 for women and 600 for men, with no adjusting.
                                *Sara*

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X