Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

High PUFA diet downregulates metabolism not Low Carb diet.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High PUFA diet downregulates metabolism not Low Carb diet.

Heres a blog post looking at the studies which have raised the perception of low carb diet downregulating metabolism, but it actually looks more like it is the high PUFA that was used as the fat component of the diet causing the problem, as the low carb diet using saturated fat did not have the same problems.
    Low Carb High Fat Diets and the Thyroid - Perfect Health Diet | Perfect Health Diet
    "There are no short cuts to enlightenment, the journey is the destination, you have to walk this path alone"

Has Paul Jaminet changed his recommendations since that article? Because I don't think the PHD places carbs at the smallest macro, especially in their weight loss recommendations to cut back on fat, increase carbs.

Agreed that PUFAs are the biggest dietary problem, disagree that carbs should automatically be replaced with fat and be the smallest macro. I think replacing PUFAs with anything nutritious is fine. If more saturated fat is your thing, go for it. It's not universal.
    Last edited by j3nn; 04-15-2013, 03:31 PM.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

I love that blog! I've read it many times and followed lots of links. The very last lines are so true:

A diet with sufficient but not excess protein, moderate carbohydrate comprising a minority of calories, and high intake of saturated and monounsaturated fat but low intake of polyunsaturated fat would seem to be optimal for thyroid function. But this is the Perfect Health Diet!
      I try to live by those words, and generally end up eating about 3/4 pound of meat in two sittings, veggies and a potato or rice with every meal, and ample butter/cheese/sour cream to adequately dress--but not drown--the food.

Comment

Originally posted by j3nn View Post
        Has Paul Jaminet changed his recommendations since that article? Because I don't think the PHD places carbs at the smallest macro, especially in their weight loss recommendations to cut back on fat, increase carbs.
        I think his newest book has protein about half of carbs: The Diet - Perfect Health Diet | Perfect Health Diet

By weight, the diet works out to about 3/4 plant foods, 1/4 animal foods. By calories, it works out to about 600 carb calories, primarily from starches; around 300 protein calories; and fats supply a majority (50-60%) of daily calories.

Comment

Originally posted by j3nn View Post
          No I don't think so, their recommendation seems to be more moderate on both carbs and fat, this is where I am, maybe a slight lean to the fatty side for me.

There may be other reasons to be moderate on carbs, but just want to clarify the whole low thyroid - low carb perception.
          If there is specific evidence for any of this, I'd like to see it and understand what the relationships are.
          "There are no short cuts to enlightenment, the journey is the destination, you have to walk this path alone"

Comment

Actually they always made a point of looking for a 2/1 ratio of fat/protein AND fat/carb..... making this a high fat diet with approximately equivalent amounts of carbs and protein (each about 20%). This is the prescriptive advice for "health and longevity". The advice for "fertility and athletics" is a bit higher in carbs. Up to about 40% of diet if I remember correctly.

Comment

I just hate the idea that all PUFA is created equal... a cashew is clearly different from GMO soybean oil...

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndChance View Post
                I just hate the idea that all PUFA is created equal... a cashew is clearly different from GMO soybean oil...
                Personally I see it like this:

Refined seed oils = refined sugar and refined grains
                Nuts, avocados, fish, chicken...ect = whole fruit or potato

At least in very general terms of likelihood to promote disease and dysfunction of the human organism. Mechanisms aside.
                Last edited by Neckhammer; 04-15-2013, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Donuts promote chronic degeneration.
                  Donuts contain carbon atoms.
                  Foods containing carbon atoms promote chronic degeneration.
                  37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

^ If this was Facebook I would "like" that post so much.

Comment

I've read it many times and followed lots of links.

Comment

Originally posted by picklepete View Post
                        Donuts promote chronic degeneration.
                        Donuts contain carbon atoms.
                        Foods containing carbon atoms promote chronic degeneration.
                        ...and the leading cause of death is birth!
                        Began Primal Living: 25 Sep 2012
                        Starting Weight: 82kg (180 lbs) - Lost 30 lbs since going Primal!

"I do not eat enough carbs to justify eating low-fat."
                        "Have some bread with your bread, pasta, bread, and HFCS." - Unicorn
                        "I also walk my dog twice a day now instead of paying someone else to do it." - IronGirl
                        "Tell me you're not weak minded enough to be outsmarted by a donut?" - not on the rug

Comment

Working...
                        X