Stalled......nothing new to the forums

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ez2cy View Post
    I know, I know. There is probably a few dozen posts from people that have stalled in their weight loss.

Right or wrong, I feel it does not apply to me as it's not my post it's theirs.

I am in a funk as the last 3 weeks I'm not just sitting still but actually have a couple of measurements that have increased. Not ones that I would expect ie from gaining muscle etc.

I track everything on MFP. According to it, I should be consuming 1320 cals to lose 2 lbs per week. My macros are set for 65.7 % fat, n 33.1% Proteins. I actually hit in the 70% for fat fairly easily most days, but sometimes have problems (too lean of meats?). I also have a negative for cals from the 1320 allotted because of exercise. Meaning, I'm usually around ( or at least) 300 negative cals a day for what MFP has calculated. Hence, I should be dropping weight like crazy. I was....up till 3 weeks ago.

I walk at least an 1 1/2 hours a day. Swim moderately for 1 hour a day/6days a week. Also, just purchased a new Bowflex which I'm using every 2 nd or 3rd day. Mostly upper body and ab work. Nothing too much I don't think. One exercise to muscle fatique, ie around 7 reps as I believe Mark has recommended.

I have my days, like I'm sure others do, whereas I don't eat exactly what I should, but it's rare. I'm just about always below the cals. I know...cals in and cals out does not always work.

I stay away from grains, sugar etc and just about all dairy. Only dairy I really consume is a whey protein shake when I go to swim and work out. I was worried my protein for being that active would not be enough. Only thing I've really changed.

As I said.....I'm not worried so much about weight. Extra weight could be just a little more muscle. However, when I'm putting on a 1/4 " or 1/2 " around areas like stomach, hips etc...it's not muscle...LOL

Should I be trying to do something else to shake up my body? Different sort of eating? Fasting? Potatoe diet for a week or something?

Thanks for reading and any advice I may get.

Great community.

Flame away at me, oh wise ones! LOL
    You have tiny thighs you make me feel like i have thunder thighs at 124 lbs.

I think fat loss is very specific to the individual. What works for others might not necessarily work for you. I know for myself when I am intentionally trying to drop some body fat, I have to be really on point with my diet. I do track my calories but I know some people here do not agree with counting. I always end up eating a lot more than I think when I don't track as well as I find myself eating a lot more carbs and very little fat.

What has worked for me when busting a plateau is definitely keeping a closer eye on my diet. I also add 2 sprint sessions in a week along with 2 weight lifting. Calorie cycling has worked for me as well in the past but rarely need to do it when I switched to paleo. The fat just comes off just easier for me now mind you my metabolism is probably a lot different than you.

Comment

Thanks cayla about the thighs.

I use to be in the horse industry most of my life and my thighs were always huge..and I mean HUGE from the riding. I do nothing with them now ie bowflex or anything so they don't get huge again. Wish my upper body would do that, Arnold would be scared of me then...instead, the Scarecrow from Wizard of Oz could take me in an arm wrestle...LOL
      55 yr old male

07/01/2013

Weight; 199
      Chest; 41.5
      Waist; 42
      Hips; 40
      Thigh; 22.5
      Calf; 15
      Bicep: 13
      Forearm; 11.5
      Neck; 17

07/20/2013

Weight; 200
      Chest; 42
      Waist; 42.5
      Hips; 39
      Thigh; 23
      Calf; 15
      Forearm; 11.5
      Neck; 16

Comment

!

Women you really want to know are not going to focus on your waistline--speaking as a 50 year old woman!
        Just noticed you are from Idaho.

Years and years ago, I went down to Pocatello (spelling) to race horses. The people I trained for had a granddaughter that was telling everyone I was going to Pocaidatellaho ......got a t shirt made there that said that. Guy thought it was good and was going to make more to sell them. Don't know if he did or not.
        55 yr old male

07/01/2013

Weight; 199
        Chest; 41.5
        Waist; 42
        Hips; 40
        Thigh; 22.5
        Calf; 15
        Forearm; 11.5
        Neck; 17

07/20/2013

Weight; 200
        Chest; 42
        Waist; 42.5
        Hips; 39
        Thigh; 23
        Calf; 15
        Forearm; 11.5
        Neck; 16

Comment

Did I miss it? Did you post your height somewhere? I think 5'6" and 190 lbs requires a completely different approach than 6'2" and 190 lbs. If you look here http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread81185.html you can see that a 3 week plateau as you approach a healthy weight is no big deal.

And are you sure you can consistently measure your waist within 1/2"? I find my waist fluctuates 1/2" day to day for no apparent reason.
          50yo, 5'3"
          SW-195
          CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
          GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Comment

Just noticed you are from Idaho.

Years and years ago, I went down to Pocatello (spelling) to race horses. The people I trained for had a granddaughter that was telling everyone I was going to Pocaidatellaho ......got a t shirt made there that said that. Guy thought it was good and was going to make more to sell them. Don't know if he did or not.
            Haha! We just moved here.
            Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
            Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
            Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

My personal experience almost paralels Otzi's. I was very low and then low carb for a long time. Initially I lost a good amount of weight (25 lbs), but eventually hit a brick wall at about 10lbs to go.
              After adding 100g carbs in the form of starch, the weight and the body comp started shifting in the right direction once again.

Comment

Originally posted by LauraSB View Post
                Did I miss it? Did you post your height somewhere? I think 5'6" and 190 lbs requires a completely different approach than 6'2" and 190 lbs. If you look here http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread81185.html you can see that a 3 week plateau as you approach a healthy weight is no big deal.

And are you sure you can consistently measure your waist within 1/2"? I find my waist fluctuates 1/2" day to day for no apparent reason.
                I am 5' 8"
                the measuring...I'm doing it just once a week and it's not moving. I know it can be different from day to day, but week after week I would think it would change. Especially with the calorie deficit I'm at. ????
                55 yr old male

07/01/2013

Weight; 199
                Chest; 41.5
                Waist; 42
                Hips; 40
                Thigh; 22.5
                Calf; 15
                Forearm; 11.5
                Neck; 17

07/20/2013

Weight; 200
                Chest; 42
                Waist; 42.5
                Hips; 39
                Thigh; 23
                Calf; 15
                Forearm; 11.5
                Neck; 16

Comment

Stay off the scale for a month and focus on eating as healthy as you can and train real hard on your training days and rest oftern.

Comment

LauraSB;

Great post you forwarded to me......kinda lost interest in it when the argument turned to "twinkie diet" other wise, great.

Going to start the fasting, well...I already did I guess. Eat from 5-10. Start sprints twice a week while I do my walks. See if any of it helps.

Otiz.........no whey....because the dairy? Bad for weight loss? I started taking it because it's easy but also because of my deficit, thought might be good to get the protein in the body before a workout....along with some coconut oil in it for fat content.
                    55 yr old male

07/01/2013

Weight; 199
                    Chest; 41.5
                    Waist; 42
                    Hips; 40
                    Thigh; 22.5
                    Calf; 15
                    Forearm; 11.5
                    Neck; 17

07/20/2013

Weight; 200
                    Chest; 42
                    Waist; 42.5
                    Hips; 39
                    Thigh; 23
                    Calf; 15
                    Forearm; 11.5
                    Neck; 16

Comment

Otiz.........no whey....because the dairy? Bad for weight loss? I started taking it because it's easy but also because of my deficit, thought might be good to get the protein in the body before a workout....along with some coconut oil in it for fat content.
                      Not the dairy--I just think it's an extra blast of calories you don't really need. I was chugging that stuff before or after workouts for a while, and when looking for places to cut calories it was an easy choice. Just eat an extra serving of lean meat. Plus, it is really a processed caloric drink. Look at the ingredients, there are also differences in isolated vs hydrolyzed etc...Then there's grass-fed and added chemicals/processing steps. Just something I didn't feel was giving me great bang-for-the-buck. Here's an article by Mark Sisson to help you decide: Whey Protein: Isolate, Conentrate, Hydrolysate | Mark's Daily Apple

Comment

Eat more fat.

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                          Eat more fat.
                          70+%
                          Last edited by ez2cy; 04-16-2013, 12:22 PM.
                          55 yr old male

07/01/2013

Weight; 199
                          Chest; 41.5
                          Waist; 42
                          Hips; 40
                          Thigh; 22.5
                          Calf; 15
                          Forearm; 11.5
                          Neck; 17

07/20/2013

Weight; 200
                          Chest; 42
                          Waist; 42.5
                          Hips; 39
                          Thigh; 23
                          Calf; 15
                          Forearm; 11.5
                          Neck; 16

Comment

Well...I've been told I don't eat enough, and I should try IF'ing.

Yesterday first day IF'ing. 19 hours, feed between 5-10. Force fed I should say. Not sure I'm a fan of this.

According to MFP, for me to lose 2 lbs /week, I need to eat 1320 cals/day. I have my macro's set for 65.7% fat, 33.1% protein and the rest carbs.

So, yesterday, don't eat from the nite before until 5, then start eating. Little hungry thru the day but nothing untolerable. I eat, feel good, but decide I HAVE to eat later as I'm no where near my cal intake for the day. Don't feel like eating but I do.

What I ended up with was.....I consumed 1301 cals for the day, 64% fat, 35.8% protein. Now, again, according to MFP, I burnt 1041 cals from exercise. Did 1 1/2 hour walk (with sprints) and 1 hour swim. So, I'm waaaaaaay below my cal intake for the day, (in order to lose 2lbs/week)

So.....I have no idea how I can eat more if I'm doing the IF'ng. ?????

Also, someone told me to stay off the scale...which I will continue to weigh and measure myself weekly. I did this morning for chits n giggles (only been a day) Up...4 lbs...LMAO
                            55 yr old male

07/01/2013

Weight; 199
                            Chest; 41.5
                            Waist; 42
                            Hips; 40
                            Thigh; 22.5
                            Calf; 15
                            Forearm; 11.5
                            Neck; 17

07/20/2013

Weight; 200
                            Chest; 42
                            Waist; 42.5
                            Hips; 39
                            Thigh; 23
                            Calf; 15
                            Forearm; 11.5
                            Neck; 16

Comment

I'm late to the party, as usual, but wanted to comment on the MFP numbers. I recently realized, you have to enter the calories you want to lose however much. It appears to do the calculation for you, but that is default. If I wanted to, I could put in goal of 2 lbs a week at 5000 calories a day. I'm 5'2" and 130 lbs.. Sadly, I hardly get 5000 calories a week, much less a day. Point is, find out your BMR with exercise included...then enter your goal loss and the calories manually. I'm sure all the other information you've gotten is great, just wanted to mention this...as I find using the more realistic numbers is kinder to myself and seems to actually see the scale moving...as long as I am honest with myself about my food intake. Point number 2, I recently bought a digital scale..very enlightening about actual portions. I got mine, battery included, for $14 at Costco.
                              Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
                              Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

Comment

It's going to take you several days at least to get used to any new way of eating you try. Give it some time.

Comment

Working...
                                X