HELP! My kids are losing weight!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! My kids are losing weight!

I started on a primal diet in December, and began feeling so great that in February I transitioned our whole family. But I'm starting to wonder if I need to make a change for my kids.

My children (5 & 3) have both LOST weight since February. My kids are already both lean, no baby fat or pudge, so I'm really concerned about the weight loss. My 5 year old son lost 4 1/2 pounds and my 3 year old daughter lost 2.

Here's what they ate yesterday (pretty typical day). (Water is their only beverage.)

Breakfast: eggs, bacon, banana
    Snack: Pistachios and Raisins
    Lunch: Shrimp, carrots & salad
    Snack: Veggie Sticks
    Dinner: Grass-fed hot dogs, broccoli and cheese

They seem to be eating enough, but I really don't want them to keep losing weight. Has anyone gone through this with their kids? Any advice?

Thanks!

Are they still hungry?
    Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

That's quite a low-carb diet for children. Have you considered using potatoes or sweet-potatoes as the main part of their meal once a day?
      --
      Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
      I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
      I'd apologize, but...

Comment

yes, sweet potatoes with butter yum!

sweet potato chips as a snack?

they are growing and need lots of energy, how about giving them nice chunks of fresh coconut? they will self regulate when satiated at that age so offer it to them and see if they eat it, if they do they need it

Comment

Lots of similar threads on this topic if you do a search.

Yes to more carbs & fat! More fruit, sweet potatoes, cheese, almond butter, etc...
          Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
          Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
          Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

Originally posted by Primal Mom View Post

They seem to be eating enough

Thanks!
            Well, if they are both lean as you say, and they are losing weight, then they aren't eating enough.

Up the carbs.

Comment

I look at that and think "weight loss". Rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, paleo "treats" would probably give them some extra calories.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
              Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Do they tolerate dairy other than cheese? If so full fat milk with their meals is another good source of extra calories.

Comment

Primal desserts can up calories QUICK!
                  Primal pancakes made from almond/coconut flour are pretty heavy and fun for kids topped with butter mmm BAMBAMBAM weight gain (for me I guess haha)
                  1 whole coconut is about 1400 calories

Comment

I have a (mostly) paleo 10 yr old. I have to make an extra effort to keep her carbs up, It isnt hard but I must be mindful of it because she needs more than the rest of the family. As was suggested potatoes, rice, dried coconut/fruit, nuts, baked treats etc.
                    Her favorite, afterschool/ pre dance class, snack is a baked potatoe with loads of Kerrygold, shredded cheese and crumbled bacon. Pretty easy.

Comment

Primal does not equal low carb. Give them more rice, potatoes, fruit. And ice cream
                      Sandra
                      *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

I have 2 very lean kids (5 and nearly 3) that eat primal. I make sure to offer plenty of fruit and we have potatoes, rice, or non-GMO corn based pasta 5 of 7 days each week for dinner. Every couple weeks I'll make pancakes for breakfast. I also make sure to never limit how much they're eating. I'm often amazed at how much my 5yo daughter can eat in one sitting. I'm hoping she'll hit 40lbs at her appointment for her 5yo check-up this week.

Comment

Feeding your growing toddlers low carb. Incoming stunted growth.

Make America Great Again

Comment

Originally posted by Primal Mom View Post
                            Here's what they ate yesterday (pretty typical day). (Water is their only beverage.)

Breakfast: eggs, bacon, banana
                            Snack: Pistachios and Raisins
                            Lunch: Shrimp, carrots & salad
                            Snack: Veggie Sticks
                            Dinner: Grass-fed hot dogs, broccoli and cheese
                            Every bite must count. Carrots, salad, vege sticks all take a lot of effort to eat for not many calories. I would increase both fat AND carbs.

Milk drink or smoothie.

Primal waffles or mug cakes.

Replace salad with roast veges, or creamy vege mash.

Quiche.

Primal icecream - blend banana, frozen berries and cream or coconut cream. Serve soft or pour into moulds and freeze with an iceblock stick.

Sliced pear or peach with almond butter dip or whipped cream.

If you add rice, try cooking it in milk or coconut milk.
                            Annie Ups the Ante
                            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

Let your kids eat whatever they want! There is so much evidence showing that restricting childrens calories and eating schedules will lead to obesity and disease later in life.

Let them hsve as much as they want of dairy (ice cream every day!) fruit and fruit juice (orange juice is a super food!) starches, natural sugars (maple syrup cures cancer!) and dare i say, grains! Yes starting your kids off early with a food complex is sure to screw them up. If they want bread, let them eat the bloody bread.

Just because their parents have broken metabolisms and are overweight and sedentary does not mean the child should suffer. This is the type of well meaning health crap that pushes our society further into obesity and disease. Yes keep them away from non foods like seed oils, corn and soy byproducts and pesticides but do not limit their food or macro choices because of a fad diet.
                              Last edited by Zach; 04-15-2013, 06:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X