No announcement yet.

avoiding pork and chicken?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I discovered I feel worse when I go mental over the small distinctions. Giving up an enjoyable unrefined food based on a single datum feels a little too similar to 1980s anti-beef/egg/butter nutritionism. In the absence of actual reaction symptoms I hang my hat on the "rotating variety" approach.
    37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

I'm fairly new to this but isn't it recommended in the primal blueprint to only eat red meat twice a week?

Organic, free range chicken is more expensive than the same in beef/lamb/pork and is harder to find but (after much net surfing) I found it is readily available direct from the farms and from most good organic grocery shops in Australia.

Comment

God, you all must be earning plenty in wages to be able to afford beef, lamb and seafood, or everything is cheap as chips in America?

I eat pork and chicken almost daily and my tendinitis is 100% gone. So much for too high an n-6 dose...Grass fed and pasture raised is always best, but it really wont kill you if you ate pork and chicken. So long as you have cut out seed oil and the food that contains them then you wont be at risk of systemic inflammation, unless of course you eat 5 chickens a day!

*goes back to gnawing at chicken wings*

Comment

Originally posted by CavemanJoe View Post
          God, you all must be earning plenty in wages to be able to afford beef, lamb and seafood, or everything is cheap as chips in America?

I eat pork and chicken almost daily and my tendinitis is 100% gone. So much for too high an n-6 dose...Grass fed and pasture raised is always best, but it really wont kill you if you ate pork and chicken. So long as you have cut out seed oil and the food that contains them then you wont be at risk of systemic inflammation, unless of course you eat 5 chickens a day!

*goes back to gnawing at chicken wings*
          I agree on this to some extent ... except that you forget that muscle meat is not exactly the best to eat. Prefer ORGANS and you will find out that you can get those for much cheaper .

EDIT: and organs are actually so nutritious that you don't even have to eat them every single day, which reduces your bill even more.

Comment

Originally posted by Vague View Post
            I'm fairly new to this but isn't it recommended in the primal blueprint to only eat red meat twice a week?
            No. Mark regularly acknowledges ruminant meat to be superior to pork and poultry. I eat it most meals.
            CAFO beef is regularly on sale for $3/lb for basic cuts. Occasionally I find cheap stuff like london broil for <$2/lb, which makes it cheaper than chicken. My local Shop Rite sells lamb shoulder from Australia for $3.99/lb normal price, ground Australian lamb for burgers for $3.99/lb and it regularly goes on sale for <$3/lb. Australian lamb loin normal price is $5.99/lb. Australian bone-in leg of lamb is $5.49/lb regular price and regularly goes on sale for <$3/lb. About once a month, they have grassfed Australian whole beef tenderloin for $6.99/lb, so I usually pick up one or two. It lasts about a whole week.
            Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 04-19-2013, 09:00 AM.
            Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

We eat mostly organ meats and make stews, rarely buy the expensive cuts. Local fish costs less than meat. Lamb is not available for sale here, but I found someone I can buy a goat from, figure thats much better tham the frozen meat imported from the mainland.

Now we don't eat meat daily, more fish and eggs.
              Last edited by girlhk; 04-19-2013, 05:54 PM.

Comment

I don't think that the omega six contribution from whole foods is really something to fret about too much. For one thing, not all Omega 6 fats are bad, so the breakdown may be important.

Chicken has 1600 mg O6 in a leg, 520 mg in one breast, and 1500 mg per egg,

For comparison one avocado has 3200 mg O6.

The seed oils are really the things that screw up the ratio in SAD -

1 tbls soybean oil 6000 mg, and 1 tbs corn oil 7800 mg. They add those oils to just about everything. Even canola oil has around 2800 mg per tbs.
                Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

I can eat chicken breast but chicken thighs with skin make me vaguely ill. Factory-farmed chicken fat is probably pretty horrible for a person.
                  You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpycakes View Post
                    I can eat chicken breast but chicken thighs with skin make me vaguely ill. Factory-farmed chicken fat is probably pretty horrible for a person.
                    Fug yea it is. As is any CAFO meat, high AA is a killer. Also peanut butter always drops my temps after i eat it.

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpycakes View Post
                      Fug yea it is. As is any CAFO meat, high AA is a killer. Also peanut butter always drops my temps after i eat it.

Comment

Working...
                      X