IF'ing Experiment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IF'ing Experiment

So, my weight loss has been slow and steady lately and I'm OK with that. I set a micro-goal for myself, to have lost 60 pounds by April 23rd, and I'm a little bit behind. My plan is to IF 4x this week, basically only eating a hearty breakfast each morning, ~1500 cals, 75% fat, 20% pro, 5% cho, MON, TUE, WED, and THUR. I know it's going to be a challenge, and I'm looking forward to that aspect of it, but is it too much?

Another thing, when I tell my friends about my fasting I can't help but feel a little...guilty? Embarrassed? It almost feels like anorexia in a way, doesn't it? I understand fasting and it's purported benefits but when I hear the words coming out of my mouth it sounds bad!

Anyways, advice is always appreciated.
    I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

It doesn't sound like your embarrassment is a rational emotion. If you're aware of the benefits of it and can explain them, there is no need for trepidation but instead you should be proud of your knowledge and your ability to actualize it. You're getting it right after all. And anyone who isn't down with IFing is most definitely getting it wrong.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

Usually when I tell people that I'm fasting, I always accompany it with "Why would I eat when I'm not hungry." I've had some pretty interesting conversations all due to fasting coming up. Some met with resistance, but I've been lucky enough to speak with a lot of open minded people. There's this girl in the drug store downtown who my wife and I always end up talking to about Primal stuff. She'll be a convert yet.
      I grok, therefore I am.

Comment

if i am fasting, then i tell people "i am fasting" if they ask why..."health reasons"....if thy pry...send them to http://www.marksdailyapple.com/ or tell them to read The Primal Blueprint...i've sold 17 copies now by people questioning me!!
        Get on my Level
        http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

"I'm skipping this meal becasue I ate half a cow some hours ago" works for me
          “Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
          "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
          "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Comment

;-)
            I'm gonna borrow that line, SS!

Comment

Everyone I know knows I eat once a day. I got some raised brows at first ("but you HAVE to eat breakfast - you'll slow down your metabolism!") but just explained that your metabolism is only affected after 72 hours of calorie deprivation. And I remind them that grocery stores and an abundance of food are luxuries for most of the world TODAY... let alone for all of our known history.

Comment

For the past four days I've only eaten once each day, with an almost 24 hour fast in between. Has worked really rather well.

Comment

I'm just about finished with day 1 and I feel fine, even after playing tennis for 2 hours. Now, onto day 2!
                  I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

Comment

That's really awesome Jokaman70. I am in my 18th hour of my third fast this month. One question, do you allow anything other than water pass your lips or are you strict even on coffee?
                    Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

Comment

Originally posted by Jokaman70 View Post
                      I'm just about finished with day 1 and I feel fine, even after playing tennis for 2 hours. Now, onto day 2!
                      Awesome, congratulations! Keep up the good work.
                      http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

Originally posted by Sungrazer View Post
                        That's really awesome Jokaman70. I am in my 18th hour of my third fast this month. One question, do you allow anything other than water pass your lips or are you strict even on coffee?
                        It's always been just water but I downed about 30oz. of green tea today, and I probably will tomorrow too.

Comment

With your once a day meals, what kind of foods are you eating and how many cals? (maybe even a macro breakdown?! )

Comment

Dunno about OP, but I always keep the meal normal and eat until I am full. Macros is as always approximaltely 75%/15%/10% energy from fat, protein and carbs. Just select quality fat and protein, avoid temptation to binge and you'll feel fine.
                            Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

Comment

Originally posted by misterbulgarin View Post
                              With your once a day meals, what kind of foods are you eating and how many cals? (maybe even a macro breakdown?! )
                              A hearty breakfast, ~1500 cals, 75% fat, 20% pro, and 5% cho.

Yesterday morning I had 4 large omega-3 eggs, 2oz. cheddar cheese, 1.5TBS butter, 2 large sausages, fiber/vitamin powder, 1TBS Carlson's Fish Oil, 5,000 iu's of Vit. D, and some green tea. This morning it was basically the same although I only had 1 sausage left so I'm munching on 6.5oz. of grass-fed beef sticks (from US Wellness) as I type this. So I'm getting about 2000 calories, within the hour, and that's it for the day.

Also, I dropped 4 LBS in 24 hours .
                              Last edited by Jokaman70; 04-20-2010, 08:52 PM. Reason: Math error!

Comment

Working...
                              X